If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The backlash against Dragon Age 2

edited 2012-03-04 13:20:56 in Media

We get it, you spent sixty dollars on a piece of shit game. Now get over it and move on with your life.

Comments

• You can change. You can.

>Implying that bitching in the internet requires effort

oh myrm, you so naive

• ITT: Myrmidon can't get over it.

• This is the first time I've mentioned it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

sixty dollars is not a small amount

• Did this happen with Daikatana?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yes. People still make Daikatana jokes today.
  • edited 2012-03-03 18:06:20
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Yes. And the fact that it's still a punchline should tell you something.

EDIT: Dammit INUH. >:(

• I haven't played Dragon Age 2, but is it near as bad as Daikatana was?

No, but it's also a decade less old.
  • Well, yeah, but people don't still get angry about Daikatana. It's just a punchline.

• You can change. You can.

One of those is far more relevant to today's gaming scene than the other, dude. Just sayin'

• I can't begin to talk about how ironic this is coming from the man who made a thread mocking the posts a troper made a year ago.

Anyway, from what I can tell, the outright anger has gone. Now it's more "Yeah, Dragon Age 2 was a shit game. Now how could it's problems be fixed?"

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Another reason there's so much backlash is that despite its' flaws, the first game was a really, really good game. Then the second one rolls around, and it's... not.

• I thought Dragon Age 2 was okay, personally. The writing, dialogue especially, was pretty good. Except the romances. Ugh.

Another thing people were mad about is wasted potential. It had a pretty good plot (though the 3rd act is debatable), and Varric is one of the best characters in Bioware history. But the game was a complete betrayal of what Dragon Age is.

They don't seem to understand Dragon Age has a very different fanbase from Mass Effect. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, DA2 was just sloppy altogether. BioWare's losing the plot, which is a shame, since they have a history of developing such excellent RPGs. 

The extent to which DA2 was disappointing is a really relevant point, too. There was no overarching plot, as each act of the game was its own story. Environments were reused time and time again, which is okay in context of the entire game taking place in a small selection of areas, but it was really weird to come across the same cave map for over a dozen different cave complexes. Like they thought we wouldn't notice if they had us start at a different entrance, or closed some areas while opening others. 

It tried to make further compromises between real-time combat and turn-based combat, too, which was pretty much a failure. This is especially worrying because Mass Effect did real-time combat so well and made commanding your allies so accessible and streamlined. 

It's almost as if BioWare just forgot how to write or design games for DA2. 

It didn't feel anything like what Dragon Age originally was- an atypical high-fantasy story set in a world that you can make better or worse with your actions.

The second was much more character-focused, which is good, but it wasn't... the story wasn't as... something.

• The thing is, I can get what Dragon Age 2 was going for with each act having a different plot. They're trying to tell the tale of Hawke, and Hawke's life, as all lives are, is mostly boring crap mixed with occassionally important things, which often have no relation.

But it doesn't translate to a game very well. 

Seriously, each arc was too disconnected. And then my sister was killed for no good reason, which sucked 'cause she was my primary offensive mage. Her death had no further repercussions on the story, so I was just robbed of a character that had high tactical value in combat. 

DA2 was fun when it was good, but it was amateur as a complete game at best. From start to finish, it's full of awful decisions. 

• Just so much wasted potential. From what I've heard, Awakening is much better- pretty much what Dragon Age 2 would have been if it wasn't rushed. 

I ought to get Awakening sometime when game releases slow down a bit.

Dragon Age Origins: Awakening?

• Oh, wait, nevermind, I meant Legacy.

That's good, because Awakening is DA:O DLC, and wasn't as good as I'd hoped (although it was still awesome).

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

For what it's worth, I still like DA2 more than the first Mass Effect and KOTOR 2.

> like DA2
    > more than KOTOR2

wut 

I haven't played it in awhile but it's easily my least-favorite Bioware game (that I've played because fuck playing a Sonic RPG) 

Really, fuck both ME and DA. I want them to start making more Jade Empire.

> fuck DA

Sorry, Malk. We can't be casual acquaintances any more.

Let me rephrase. I like DA well enough but there are way more European fantasy and space opera games than mytholigical china games.
  • edited 2012-03-03 20:45:36
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

I never played Jade Empire, which is something I'm trying to correct. 

That said, I feel as though BioWare plateaued with Neverwinter Nights, kept it strong and probably had their last real hurrah with ME1 and DA1. 

The Old Republic, for instance, has been pretty disappointing thus far. While the Star Fox bits are cool, as is having your own ship, I find myself doing the same things for combat time and time again. And everything is combat, all the time. One strong element of KOTOR (1 and 2) is that many side missions had little to do with combat. They gave a sense of actually being in the world and solving problems in different ways. TOR feels really different. 

I think the biggest issue here is that BioWare compromised. They made an MMO, and decided to build the game like an MMO. I feel they would've been better off learning a lesson from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in terms of multiplayer. 

And there is still no contemporary Jedi Knight game. 

^ While the Far East itself produces no few games based on its own mythology, few really reach the level of intelligence or experience as the likes of Okami. Dynasty Warriors and its ilk, I think, are standards that have to pass away so that the Far East can make more diverse games about its mythology. After all, when a Japanese game company decided to make an RPG in Western style, we got Demon's Souls and it was great. 

I'd love to see more games that are cross-cultural in gameplay, but focused in theme. 

Dragon Age: Origins, at least, is a very good take on the European High Fantasy spin.