If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

American Psycho

edited 2012-03-03 11:06:56 in Media

I get the feeling I would have liked it better if it was called something other than American Psycho and I didn't know what kind of book I was getting into.

Comments

• You can change. You can.

So, you would've liked it more if you hadn't predicted that it was going to involve a serial killer hallucinating exploding cars and stuff?

Iunno. Personally, knowing where it's going to end in rather general terms helps the tension, in my opinion.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I know the book is far different from the movie, but I never read it. In your opinion, do you think the movie is better? Or is it just a far different beast?

• I think the book is better, but the movie is far more accessible.

I never read the book, but I enjoyed the movie. I did read some of Bret Easton Ellis work and I can't say I'm really in a rush to try and read American Psycho.

• edited 2012-03-03 13:13:56
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I enjoyed the book when I read it two years ago, but I have a feeling I'd utterly hate it if I read it again. I don't know how I put up with all the clotheswank the first time. Probably convinced myself that there was actually a good reason for it.

The movie was enjoyable, though.

I don't know how I put up with all the clotheswank the first time. Probably convinced myself that there was actually a good reason for it.

From what I understand, there were two good reasons for it:

One) Reflect how superficial and shallow Bateman is and

Two) If you know about clothes, then you know that none of the clothes mentioned match each other, which contributes to the whole "Bateman's viewing the world in a distorted way" aspect of the book.

then again, I just hear about this shit cuz I'm too lazy to actually go and spend money in a book that I might not enjoy

• edited 2012-03-03 16:10:27
    Has friends besides tanks now

I was aware of those reasons, and they make sense in context; I just don't think they're good reasons to change the pace of the passage so abruptly. Plus, it was just boring. Blah blah Gianni blah.