If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rush Limbaugh's statements about Sandra Fluke

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Just get him to do a radio show in the UK or something.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> Andrew Breitbart

I am sorry for those people that Mr. Breitbart leaves behind.

• edited 2012-03-02 23:37:05
    Loser

CountryPumpkin,

people every single day known lies in order to further the political agenda of a dying party looking for some small sliver of relevance in a changing world

I am not sure if you are being totally serious about this or if I am understanding you correctly, but if you are and I am, I would like to hear why you think the Republican Party is dying. I have heard people say as much on the liberal side before, but I do not really know enough about political parties to determine if that is a reasonable belief or not.

Also, as far as I can tell, reasonable and respectful conservatives definitely do exist (just like reasonable and respectful liberals do). I think that shock jocks just tend to get a lot of attention because of how offensive some of the stuff they say is and because there is a market for that stuff (unfortunately).

• edited 2012-03-02 23:37:39

The thing is that the world sees the Democratic Party as conservative and the Republican Party as ultra-conservative. The notion of the Republican Party dying out may be wishful thinking (though a US user can clarify this), but to say the least they're not very popular globally.

• edited 2012-03-03 02:19:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Whether the party is "dying" depends on what you consider to be the "life" of the party, so to speak.

Both parties in the U.S. are not so much individual parties with coherent ideologies like in many-party systems but actually coalitions of multiple groups, some of which are sometimes at odds with each other.  That said, the recent trend toward polarization (in part due to the use of wedge issues by the Republicans, as detailed in Karl Rove's strategies, as well as tapping into anger, xenophobia, and defensiveness) seems to have the effect of concentrating (self-identified) conservative and very conservative voters into the Republican Party, while making it less popular for everyone else.

It is true that a lot of the ideological goals espoused by these very conservative politicians and voters are quite unpopular (let's put aside discussions of their merits for now).  If the Republican Party continues this polarization, political observers project that it will gradually marginalize its appeal.

One could argue that the Republicans' electoral success in 2010 is a sign that they are resurgent.  However, to this, I will point out that public opinion of the Republican Party is very negative right now, and it was negative even during the 2010 midterm elections.  Republicans were able to win big in part because they were not in power, and were able to tap into dissatisfaction with incumbent Democrats.  Their electoral success has since given themselves a lot of headaches; as I like to observe, it's a lot easier to sit around posturing politically than it is to actually legislate and govern.

The role of an opposition party will never go away.  If a party named the Republican Party shall fill that role, one could argue that they cannot "die", unless they were to be replaced in this role by another party, which may or may not be ideologically different.  And ideologies can change within parties anyway, especially in coalition parties that contain many factions within them.  Ideologies themselves, however, can become popular or unpopular, to the point of being vastly accepted or completely marginalized.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I think the "dying party" here is the Tea Party, which Limbaugh draws a lot if support from, that has indeed been dying.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Sí.

-fuck Rush Limbaugh

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI CountryPumpkin you might want to lay off on the emotion a bit.  I'm pretty sure everyone here hates Limbaugh, as we should, but your level of intensity is a bit unsettling.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Mods, please change my name to "FuckYouLimbaugh"

I was kidding, but the more I look at it the more I like my new name. I'll keep it.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^
    You're welcome. 

• No rainbow star
    Not sure how to shorten Country's new name. "Fuck" and "You" could lead to confusion, and "Limbaugh" just seems bleh

Limmy? Would Limmy work?
  • a little muffled

FYL?

• You can change. You can.

Just call him Rush

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Phil?
  • No rainbow star
    FuckYouLimbaugh -> FYL -> Phil -> Phillip -> PhilipTheNickel -> Nickel -> Nick -> PhoenixWright -> Wright -> WrightBrothers -> Brothers -> Bro

seems legit

• There is no level of hatred towards Limbaugh that could ever go too far. He is a fucking criminal and a monster. There is a point at which we should all be able to agree that "free speech' is being abused and that a person should be able to prosecuted for their endless tirades of hate speech.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

There is a point at which we should all be able to agree that "free speech' is being abused and that a person should be able to prosecuted for their endless tirades of hate speech.

nope.mp4

But hate speech is supposedly against the constitution and the first amendment...?

with that said, arresting people for being bigoted sets a dangerous precedent. What we should do is just...like...ignore him, man. Leave him without a job

• Has friends besides tanks now

I'm just glad that hate speech is illegal under the Constitution, and that they make that specification; true free speech (as in, literally say whatever you want) would be horrible.

• Champion of the Whales

Nine firms have dropped their ads from Rush Limburgh.

• edited 2012-03-05 14:40:02
    Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, yeah, I just remembered; one of my friend's dad's license plate is RLIMBAH. Probably explains why he's such an asshole.

^ Good to hear.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

That's still a drop in the bucket. Rush still has like 20 million listeners and makes $50 mil in revenue each year.

• edited 2012-03-05 16:54:12

@Everest (and Juan): You're wrong. Hate speech is legal; what's illegal is hate CRIMES. You have to actually hurt someone to be prosecuted for racism/sexism/etc.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Ah. I'd been told before by Neo that some other similar sentiments counted as hate speech and were thus illegal. But if hate speech falls under free speech, then free speech isn't worth it.

• edited 2012-03-05 17:17:24
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Actually:

The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. In its 9-0 decision, Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942), the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine and held that "insulting or 'fighting words,' those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" are among the "well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech the prevention and punishment of [which] ... have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem."

Granted, this isn't airtight enough to cover all discriminatory speech, but I'd qualify what Rush said under this.