If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Meeting someone who shares an obscure interest of yours...

edited 2012-03-01 20:17:29 in General

...but then it turns out he's way more knowledgeable about it than you are, and you're stuck there trying to think of something to say that won't make you look like an idiot.

Comments

• Yeah, I think it can be especially embarrassing when you start explaining something to someone and that person already knows about it ten times better than you do.

Then again, I think the fact that this kind of encounter can be annoying suggests that people might like being in positions where they can be the expert.

Does that mean that people generally like to look down on others or just that they like to be able to share things with people in a useful way? I hope it is the latter, but given some of the contempt I have seen for people who are knowledgeable about stuff, I wonder if the former explanation is more likely.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It can be either, depending on the person.