If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM that IJBM was a cause of drama in the first place.

13»

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    That's a lot better than keeping us in the dark.
  • I prefer it if the userbase called in the mods when they deem it necessary instead of the mods asking the userbase if they should act. But the mods still have to test the water anyway, so that is perhaps an ideal for the future.
  • edited 2011-06-09 13:53:30
    Loser
    Juan_Carlos,
    The third paragraph should work both ways. Especially if our plan is to generate some sort of independence.

I pretty much agree. I think it might be difficult to totally eliminate discussions of TV Tropes though considering it is an interest that most everyone here shares (as far as I know at least).

See, I can live with that, but I'm also bothered by the fact that OTC is having some serious issues that relate to how both sites are having moderation issues, but the staff won't listen because they want to think that IJBM never happened instead of learning from the mistakes that came with it.

I think that probably goes back to the scapegoat idea. It seems to me that it is much easier to just pretend that all of the bad stuff has been eliminated when IJBM was deleted than to actually change rules or policy that might stop such things from happening again. I think one could still make a case for IJBM's deletion, but I think that its awfulness has been greatly exaggerated.

Cygan,
    I know that.
    It's just, like, we're trying.
    But when we're just... dismissed like that, it makes me, at least, feel like... Like our efforts are just ignored. Like, nah, we don't care you're trying.
    Yunno?

I think I agree with you here. I mean, the facts that more than one TV Tropes mod has an account here (though neither seem to be posting here much anymore) and that other so-called TV Tropes "regulars" also frequent this forum makes the idea that it is way worse than TV Tropes seem rather odd to me. I also think that saying that this place is awful or has no moderation is kind of an insult, especially when from what I can tell, mods actually are pretty active here.

Schitzo,

Personally, I think that junkposts really were not much of a threat to anything on the old IJBM, unless they were used to rudely interrupt conversations. I thought the problem people had with IJBM was that it was too negative or that it invited trolling and flame wars.
  • Yeah, but they wouldn't have happened if Lithp and Miles11 didn't come here today, would it?

Good point.

Stuff Louie said

Agreed.

Discussion about what got IJBM1 deleted

What got IJBM1 deleted was the amount of hollers it got. If specific things are to be blamed for its demise, it's so because they contributed to the holler count.

Of course, since people complained about KHSAS based on its name and got it hollered into deletion, this doesn't say much.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-06-09 15:17:44
    Individual people still get banned on OTC because they get hollered too much, sometimes even if they're being considerably less rude and condescending than the people who holler them.  If anything, it feels like it happens more often.

No, since it led to measures being taken and the mods gaining exp.

(Ergo, the fastest way for the mods to get comfortable in their roles would be to create lots and lots of drama :D)

Final Fantasy 2 had enough problems.  The last thing we want to do is institutionalize it :P
  • They're somethin' else.
    Still, I was well aware that the shitposting increased because the doom of IJBM 1 was announced. I'm just saying that you just can't post anything there and have it taken seriously without some yokel making a snowclone about it or going cool story bro