If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    The internet's most famous Shiba Inu dog, not the Venetian ruler.
  • edited 2015-04-12 13:04:37
    Diet NEET
    Going through old forum posts is a great way to mine old turns of phrase you've forgotten, inbetween the wildly contradictory positions you've held in various discussions. 
  • a little muffled
    Quick poll: if I ask what (-8)^(1/3) is, how would you answer?
  • -2 and then I know there are two others but I can't remember how to find them. I'd then be annoyed I don't know how to find them and then go to Wolfram Alpha to learn that they're 1 +- 1.7321i.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
  • a little muffled
    Cool, thanks, I'm not insane.

Background: I was working through a math problem with a friend and I offhandedly said something like "(-8)^(1/3) is better known as -2". Which he insisted was wrong, somehow. Wolfram Alpha did not help since if you type that in it gives you one of the complex ones as the primary answer, though it does give -2 if you type "cube root of -8" instead. The context was actually expressing all the roots of x³ + 8 by taking one and multiplying it by roots of unity, so it made no difference which was picked as the "primary" root anyway...
  • edited 2015-04-13 19:58:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    FYI, typing "-8^(1/3)" into a TI-89 gives the answer "-2" under both "REAL" and "RECTANGULAR" complex formats.

That said, the TI-89 also has solve and cSolve functions.  "solve(x^3=8,x)" produces "x=-2", regardless of complex format, and "cSolve(x^3=-8,x)" produces "x=1-sqrt(3)*i or x=1+sqrt(3)*i or x=-2", again regardless of complex format.

I think the issue is that fractional exponents are interpreted as root functions, and root functions are generally interpreted as producing the real (and positive, if possible) roots.  Whereas simply asking "what are the roots" will more validly be answered with complex answers.
  • edited 2015-04-13 20:44:18
    ^^ Why not just point out that (-2)(-2)(-2) = -8?
  • edited 2015-04-13 23:45:12
    a little muffled
    ^^ Why not just point out that (-2)(-2)(-2) = -8?
    I did. It still took me like ten minutes after that to convince him that that's the same thing.
  • I've seem to have gone back to regularly working on my long overdue thesis.

I'm also back to studying languages, specifically Japanese, after a two years pause. I'm pondering whether to go back to my old flashcard deck and its long overdue reviews, or make a new deck. 
  • Huh, so I just found out Fast Eddie is no longer TVT's admin. I think that's a good thing for both him and the site.

Also, I don't like that HH doesn't like us.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm surprised anyone can dislike us considering how completely mild-mannered this place is.
  • Huh, so I just found out Fast Eddie is no longer TVT's admin.

Is he still the owner?

Also, I don't like that HH doesn't like us.
    Who?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Pretty sure that the HH leadership is just fine with us.  They're actually assistant mods here and I'm an assistant mod there.

There are a few (I can think of two; I won't name) specific people who left here and only hang out there, but that's not really the same as the entire site.
  • Is he still the owner?

i dunno lol

This is the (old) announcement thread, doesn't mention it but sounds like it has a new owner.

Who?

Heaper's Hangout

^*shrug* it's the impression I get often when the topic's brought up. Not that I go there often enough to tell for sure.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @Noimporta you may be entertained by my comment here: http://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/profile/3/Imipolex G
    He forgot Noimporta? Darrn. Internet memories are fickle.
  • I keep a good hold on my internet memories. Or at least I think I do.

• This is the (old) announcement thread, doesn't mention it but sounds like it has a new owner.

Link just goes back here.
  • edited 2015-04-18 15:32:33
    To be fair, I also have roughly zero idea who those two guys are. Also, that only works if one's stealing someone else's face.
    I think Imipolex was the southern US guy with fascinations with boobs, some philosophical inclinations and that used a Plague doctor avatar on TVTropes. The other is not known to me.
  • I remember Imipolex being described as really tall or something.
  • edited 2015-04-18 17:40:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Noimporta wrote: »
    To be fair, I also have roughly zero idea who those two guys are. Also, that only works if one's stealing someone else's face.

Panurge on HH was using that avatar earlier, but not green.
  • I think Imipolex was the southern US guy with fascinations with boobs, some philosophical inclinations and that used a Plague doctor avatar on TVTropes. The other is not known to me.
    Wasn't Zephid the one with the Plague doctor avatar?
  • edited 2015-04-18 19:52:18
    a little muffled
    It wasn't Imipolex G, at least. The avatar I associate with him is Raphael the Raven.
    You are right, it was Zephid. Damn, foiled by my own memory
  • Imipolex is the Patchouli fan to me. I don't think I've met the others.
  • Apropos of nothing, apparently Audrey Hepburn could speak Dutch:
  • That aunt struck with cancer passed away.