If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The sexiest summer Olympics sport

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Well if you'd prefer that I talk about swords... 

• edited 2012-08-09 13:10:44

Olympic gymnasts have to be at least 16 years old (and notably, other sports don't have such a restriction, though it doesn't really matter since usually a really young person isn't going to be able to compete at an Olympic level anyway I guess).

I'm pretty sure that all Olympic athletes have to be 16 or older (though they get a pass if they're 15 as long as they will be turning 16 during the year the Olympics are being held.) This was brought up by some of the commentators in discussion about a swimmer or diver, IIRC.

eta: And the sexiest sport is obviously curling, if you disagree you are objectively wrong and a bad person!

• I'd go for Greco-Roman wrestling.

• Champion of the Whales

@Crimson: Not saying that people should act on that attraction; just saying that it's physiologically justified.

No it really isn't

• Kichigai birthday!!

So will you guys follow the paralympics? I will because Spain always does better than at the regular games. In Athens we won 18 medals at the regular games and 71 at the paralympics.

• Champion of the Whales

I will be because the British also do better at the Paralympics. We got 48 golds in the Beijing Paralympic games compared with 19 in the Olympics.

• That said, @All Nines, given that humans are physiologically fertile after hitting puberty, and people in first-world countries hit puberty around 13 anyway, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with finding them attractive.

Come on Glenn, you're usually smarter than this.

• Thread simulator go:

>guise, guise, I have a crush on a 16yo and I'm 20 myself, wot do?

>rape

>where do you live, OP? depending on the state, it may be legal

>your detailed knowledge of age-of-consent laws disturbs me

>ITT: pedo apologists

>it's ephebophilia, you uneducated twat

>I know a pair that met in this way. just take it slow and you'll be fine

>16 year old girls are terrible, you'll be tired of her shit in a month

>just move to the Middle East, OP. that shit's normal over there

>first they accept fag marriage, now this. liberals ruining mah country

>I supposed you watch a lot of loli animu. OP confirmed for weeaboo manchild

>can't get a girl his own age, goes for easily impressed teenager

>y'all hysterical. do any of you work for the Sun?

>this is perfectly normal, OP. studies back you up on this

Insert reaction soundbites inbetween the vids as you think appropriate.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think InsanityAddict summed this up pretty well. 

Let's not have a dogpile, either. 

Personally, I disagree with Glenn to an extent, although he's not far off the mark. Age of consent laws exist to bind everyone to the same legal standard when it comes to sexual intercourse, not to act as an ultimate moral authority when it comes to who turns you on. Obviously, finding people below a certain general age (or state of physical development) attractive is problematic and age of consent laws exist for good reason, but sexual attraction and activity is too complex to consider based on physical or numerical age alone. To take an opposite example, I daresay there's quite a few people who don't have the psychological maturity for sex well into their twenties and some who do before they reach age of consent. In the latter case, that doesn't mean someone overage is justified in sleeping with them, but it serves an example of how sexual development is a factor of wider psychological development in a human being. 

Basically, I don't like the number Glenn chose, but he essentially has a point. Individuals age differently in both psychology and physical form, and while 18 (or whatever variation it may be) is a good approximation of when sexual activity with members of the adult world is appropriate, it's just that -- an approximation, one meant to set a legal bottom line, but a best collective guess all the same. That line is there to be respected and followed, but not to determine who one may or may not find attractive. 

• Champion of the Whales

He said lusting after 13 yr old girls was "physiologically" acceptable.

How can you not see the problems with that?

• Kichigai birthday!!

I just want to talk about the Olympics ;_;

Also good game on basketball, Americans. That makes 17 medals for Spain

• a little muffled

@Whale: I certainly can't. There are thirteen-year-olds in the world that can pass for eighteen. (I'd know -- I was one of them.) Your genitals certainly can't tell the difference.

The problems come when your brain doesn't tell your genitals to go fuck themselves.

• edited 2012-08-12 12:46:45
    Champion of the Whales

That needs to be the ending ceremony of the Olympics.

@Whale: I certainly can't. There are thirteen-year-olds in the world that can pass for eighteen. (I'd know -- I was one of them.) Your genitals certainly can't tell the difference.

The problems come when your brain doesn't tell your genitals to go fuck themselves.

Its still rife of dodgy implications though.

• edited 2012-08-12 13:11:09
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

He said lusting after 13 yr old girls

That's loaded language. In the name of honesty, I advise you to keep your statements accurate to those you're quoting. Even if you're upset, there's no reason to twist someone's words. 

In any case, I think "finding attractive" and "lusting after" are two different things -- after all, thinking that someone is good-looking and wanting to sleep with them are two different things. And what Nyktos said. I was the reverse; when I was eighteen, I looked about fifteen at most. The only reason I look my age now is because of my beard, without which I'd probably look eighteen or nineteen.  

That you have a problem with Glenn's post is none of my concern. Like I said, I think thirteen is too young as well. But I can also see the essential point he's trying to make.

And, finally, as a mod, I am reminding you once again not to twist the words of those you disagree with. It solves nothing, because at that stage a thread can easily devolve into semantics and petty bickering rather than keeping to the point. No-one wins here, because it's ripe for frustration and misunderstanding all around.

How can you not see the problems with that?

And this, too. Like I said (twice), I disagree with Glenn's opinion here. But my task here is to keep the peace, and I was hoping this discussion wouldn't come up. Now that it has, though, I'm obliged to keep things settled and see things from multiple perspectives. 

• >16 year old girls are terrible,

This much is true.

• Champion of the Whales

29 Gold and 65 medals overall and we beat the Aussies at Rowing and Track Cycling.

Not bad for a home Olympics.

• edited 2012-08-12 13:34:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> He said lusting after 13 yr old girls was "physiologically" acceptable.

I didn't say that.

First, I was talking about mere sexual attraction--as in, you think that person looks more attractive than not.  Not lusting, which implies a degree of intent on sexual relation and even obsessiveness.

Second, my point was that it's after people pass puberty, that they're physiologically sexually mature.  If a person hasn't hit puberty at age 13, it's still physiologically wrong if you're attracted to them.

Third, I wasn't saying it was "acceptable" by social standards.  I was saying it merely made sense from a biological view.  A sort of "not big surprise" thing, in that sexual attraction to other humans who are physiologically sexually mature comes standard with human nature, rather than "there's something way fucked up in your head".

Yes, I worded it badly the first time.  I'll have to go and fix that.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Whale: I was looking at the medal counts and really, really wanted y'all to beat Russia.

At least you have more golds than they do.

• Champion of the Whales

Medal tables are based on number of golds first and those Dirty Commies didn't get enough :smugface:

• Kichigai birthday!!
    ^^ What do you have against Russia?
  • edited 2012-08-12 13:51:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^ Russia is blocking UN intervention in Syria.

^^ That's not what I see in the U.S., but then again, y'all's media probably picked that way of showing it because then UK is ranked third.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I wouldn't involve political matters in something like the Olympic games.

Anyway, on the original topic, I was watching the waterpolo final match and was amazed at how much attractive our girls were over the Americans. A bit of a consolation prize I guess
  • edited 2012-08-12 14:01:43
    Champion of the Whales

^^ That's not what I see in the U.S., but then again, y'all's media probably picked that way of showing it because then UK is ranked third.

NBC changed it because it wasn't USA!USA!USA! #1

But the IOC have always based their medal table on number of golds

• They're somethin' else.

This is no enough Golds

• Kichigai birthday!!
    People seem to be very unaware of Olympic traditions . I was in /sp/ during the opening ceremony and every other post was "HURR ISN'T THIS ALPHABETIC ORDER WHY WAS GREECE FIRST AND UK LAST" or "HURR WHY ARE THEY SPEAKIN FRENCH"
  • Champion of the Whales

Except it wasn't UK Last, it was GB last :(

• Champion of the Whales

We're one closing ceremony away from the end of this year's Olympic games. So, what were the moments, images, stories that will stay with you? What will you remember of London 2012?

• I wouldn't involve political matters in something like the Olympic games.

Seeing it happen makes me want to cheer on the politically unpopular.

/cheered for North Korea during the World Cup.

• edited 2012-08-12 15:08:58
    Kichigai birthday!!
    That obvious goal that the shitty referee didn't count in our waterpolo match against Croatia.

^I don't really cheer for them, but it makes me feel kinda bad when they lose because I'm afraid of what consequences they will face back home.
  • Champion of the Whales

I think that image might be the defining one of London 2012