If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The iDOLM@STER (animé series)

13»

Comments

• edited 2012-02-23 21:26:15

They... all seem pretty Japanese to me.  Probably mostly because they are.

• law of silence

For some reason I've always thought of Miki as a stereotypical American blonde.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ See I think that's where I and a lot of animé fans differ.  I see animé characters as mainly culture-neutral by default, and am actually less interested in series steeped in Japanese culture, while a lot of animé fans are all excited about how "Japanese" animé is with all its cultural quirks and mannerisms.  In short, I'm a non-Japanophile animé fan, which puts me a bit at odds with Japanophile animé fans.  That said, one of the oddest things is that I actually decouple the "Japanese-ness" of their names with their cultural identity.  I still haven't figured out why.  I think it's because at some point early on in the show, as I get to know them, I start thinking of them as individual characters rather than through a cultural stereotype filter.

Actually, come to think of it, Haruka is also a bit stereotypically "Japanese" in how she feels as a character.  The rest of them, not really.  Like, if I were to imagine them as real people, I'd cast them mostly based on face structure and hair color, which would mean that Miki (as ^ noted) would be a blonde (even though I think canonically her hair is dyed blond), the twins would be two plump-faced brunettes with too many tricks up their sleeves, and Makoto, Takane, and P-san would be east-Asian.

Then again, if I were to cast them, Yayoi and Iori would be, like, 12 years old, and the twins 14, based on the way they look.  Yukiho would be 13.

• "I see animé characters as mainly culture-neutral by default"

What about darker-skinned people? 

Them too, interestingly.

• Kichigai birthday!!

No idea about Geeveegee though.

That character is known as Nonowa in Japan,beacause her face is made up by the characters ののワ (No no wa) I guess they kinda look like G V G

oh.  Duh.

Wouldn't that make it GGV?

• law of silence
    ^^ Makes sense.

^ Geeveegee sounds better I guess.
  • edited 2012-02-27 01:01:26
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

There are 11 basic D&D classes and 12 idols not counting Ritsuko.  Ami and Mami obviously play the same class.  What class does each character play?

...and who GMs?  Ritsuko, P-san, or Eri?

Chihaya's personality fits the role of a monk.  Even if her talents don't.

Takane might be a druid, paladin, or wizard.  Just someone with a role as an oddity.

Haruka fits being bard, being the social person and the team spirit.

Ami and Mami seem like rogues to me.

In other news, why is this video so funny?

• edited 2013-03-24 17:40:49
    law of silence

I don't get it; what's the point of the comparison?

• edited 2013-03-13 12:27:01
    law of silence

...you can read the language and have a region-appropriate system?

• edited 2013-03-13 12:25:39
    law of silence

• edited 2012-03-14 16:04:11

Took me a while but I figured out how to remember all the characters a few days ago.

the main three = Haruka, Chihaya, Miki (the primary main characters among the cast)

the twins = Ami, Mami

the small three = Yayoi, Iori, Yukiho (yes, Yukiho's in this group thanks to her small stature and shyness)

the big two = Azusa, Takane (both of whom are among the older characters)

the weird two = Hibiki, Makoto (they both have special quirks)

The rest of the cast is easy to remember.  Ritsuko the manager, Kotori the secretary, Broducer, President Takagi, and there's 876's Ai, Eri, and Ryou if you want to count them.

I consider the full set of idols in the show to be 12, not 13, though I understand that Ritsuko has been a starring idol character in the games so people tend to count her as well.

• law of silence

the big two = Azusa, Takane (both of whom are among the older characters)

the weird two = Hibiki, Makoto (they both have special quirks)

I read "the big two" as in...nevermind. Haha, the weird two. XP I consider them "the tomboy dancem@ster duo". 

• edited 2012-03-14 16:23:23

...I see what you thought.  I ain't putting Miki with them though.

And I would say that Hibiki isn't so much a tomboy as much as a glorious mix of Crazy Cat Lady and Friend To All Living Things.  ...well I guess she is also rather defiant of stereotypes of femininity, but that doesn't seem to be her primary trait.

• law of silence

And I guess Makoto's only a tomboy on the surface. She's actually a big girly girl at heart.