If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"I'm a girl gamer! Don't flirt with me silly boys!"

13»

Comments

• Glaives are better.

You don't want to meet them. Believe me.

Imagine, if you will, a blob of some material similar to but somehow gooier than flesh, rippling across a framework of bone that buckles underneath the weight of hundreds of pounds of doughy fat. Imagine that this creature's sweat necessitates the usage of large amounts of powder to allow it to sit comfortably in a chair without slipping, giving it a floury scent that dominates whatever room it squats in.

Imagine that this blob possesses a high soprano voice and a nasally Brooklyn accent, occasionally letting out a shriek of "NYAA" when people don't listen to it. Imagine this blob does so regularly, because everyone has gotten tired of its tracings of anime princesses that, we are informed, are also lesbians. Imagine that it has nothing else to talk about.

That is what I had to play D&D with.

• Yeah the thing is...they're friendly in the second worst possible way.  It ranks below neutral.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Eh, they were pleasant enough if a bit dim.
  • I have one friend in school who is utterly obsessed with anime. As in, he wants to move to Japan and his dream job is to work on an anime. I once read him a definition of the word weeaboo, and he thought that it was a compliment. Even after I said it was practically a slur.

• I don't see anything especially wrong with wanting to live in Japan or work on anime. On the other hand, if you think you're going to fit in easily and it's going to be all sunshine and happiness, and that you're knowledgeable about what your experience will be like just from watching a lot of anime, you're going to be in trouble.

• But all I need to know about Japan I learned from animu!

• Baka gaijin!
  • edited 2012-01-31 20:52:21
    Has friends besides tanks now

"As in, he wants to move to Japan and his dream job is to work on an anime."

Heh. I used to want to do that, too. Can't remember how many years ago that was, though.

@Topic: I haven't seen any "gamer girls", ever. I've seen like one group of certifiable weeaboos, at a Borders, once; I could tell because they instantly started making fun of the D&D stuff they saw and then went on to talk about how great the most recent Big Three chapters were. I'm pretty sure one of them was wearing a goddamn fedora, too. It was almost tough to hold my tongue. I don't think I've ever interacted with any weeaboos, though, in real life or online.

Also, can someone remind me why people besides weeaboos hate the word "weeaboo" so much?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Because it's just such a stupid word.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

That doesn't tell me anything.

• I think it's hilarious. That people hate hearing it makes it even more so.
  • MrWMrW
    edited 2012-01-31 20:58:19

It started as a nonsense word in a Perry Bible Fellowship comic, and then SA/4Chan/Can'tremember took it and ran with it.

"It started as a nonsense word in a Perry Bible Fellowship comic, and then SA/4Chan/Can'tremember took it and ran with it."

Well, that much I was aware of. I just don't get why this personality-specific insult is worse than any other personality-specific insult. If it's because of the sound, then we're just gonna have to agree to disagree, since I think the word sounds pretty comical, and if it's because of people misusing it, that's the fault of a bunch of people who aren't me.

• I think a lot of people hate words because they represent a concept they disagree with. "Nigger" is unpleasant because it's a word for blacks that has very negative connotations, and generally implies there's something wrong with being black. Of course, when people decide to be ironic and not take themselves so seriously, insults often get co-opted into affectionate terms or neutral self-labels. Kind of like "slut" and "nerd", respectively.

That's certainly an explanation in some cases, but I don't want to assume that Forz hates the word because he hates weeaboos.

• No, I mean a lot of people hate words like that because of the negative connotations, and they disagree with the point of view that what the word denotes should be stigmatized.

Ah.

• No rainbow star
    I personally would love to vacation in Japan, and I find their culture fascinating

In the same vein however, I find the history of Scotland and Ireland interesting and I want to see those places too
  • From what I hear from my friends that moved there for business, it's very much a place I'd want to visit, and very much not a place I'd want to stay in for more than a couple of weeks.  Too densely urban for me.  Cities wear at me.

And I'd be way, way too paranoid about offending anyone to even think of going there without spending at least months intensely studying the language and culture enough to know some measure of what the hell I'm doing.  Very possibly enough that I'd never actually get around to it.

I'd like to visist Tokyo and Kyoto, though almost certainly not live there.

If the opportunity presented itself I'd totally live in the city, though.

• You can change. You can.

I'd like to visit it once. but then again, I say the same of almost any other big city in the world, so.

I'd just like to go globe trotting but lol lower middle class.

• ^^^ Thanks to you, I just realized Tokyo and Kyoto are anagrams. Mind=blown.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I know several girls who are regular gamers and/or like anime, and they're all pretty cool. I've never had the misfortune of meeting a "girl gamer" (which don't even exist over here, AFAIK) or "weeaboo girl" (which do exist, unfortunately).

• a little muffled

^^^ Thanks to you, I just realized Tokyo and Kyoto are anagrams. Mind=blown.

Someone doesn't watch Futurama.

Anyway, yeah, add me to the list of people who'd like to visit Japan but not live there.

• For what it's worth, it was 4chan. Back in /b/ in 2004/2005, people were throwing around "Wapanese" as a slur a lot, and the mods wordfiltered it to "weeaboo" (not long after that PBF had come out, I think) in an effort to get them to stop saying it. Needless to say, they just started saying "weeaboo" instead.

Also, hi. :D

• ^^ I watched it, but it's been a long time.

• edited 2012-02-04 10:40:33
    Diet NEET

>video tries to make emancipatory point

>sees username, notices only a few dudettes in the video look plain

LOL

• ^^^ Thanks to you, I just realized Tokyo and Kyoto are anagrams. Mind=blown.

Only because of the way they're romanized. Using a romanization system better fitting the way it's written in Japanese, you get Toukyou and Kyouto.