If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Tropes "It Was His Sled" and "All There Is To Know About The Crying Game".

124»

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Anyway, my take on it is this:

People should be considerate about spoilers, no matter what. You never know who might have watched that. Specially going by here where many have mentioned not knowing or watching movies which I would consider required viewing. 

always ask, and all that.

(Bluh bluh, sorry for the Xander thing, AHR. I know I should have been careful about it. --shrug--)
  • There are lots of spoilers in that have managed to permeate pop culture. Superman's home planet is named Krypton, The Planet of the Apes was Earth, Darth Vader is Luke's father, Citizen Kane's sled was named Rosebud, Batman's an orphan, Goku is an alien, Dracula is a vampire.

But I have to agree with Chagen in a sense that the page "It Was His Sled" was a fucking joke. Seriously, 95% of the examples on that page are fucking nonsense. Honestly, 99% of the anime, manga, comic, cartoon, video game, live action TV and literature examples should have been deleted. Along with a good 80% of the film examples. 

• But you never had any to begin with.
    I managed to spoil somebody on the end of King Kong once. I'm still not sure how that was possible.
  • edited 2011-09-18 09:40:30

^^Don't forget The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which was supposed to be a mystery, yet the twist ending is now a common term in the English lexicon.

"Seriously, 95% of the examples on that page are fucking nonsense."

There are no more examples. It got sectionectomied months ago.

I managed to spoil somebody on the end of King Kong once. I'm still not sure how that was possible.

King Kong is far more known for its premise and its climatic battle at the top of the Empire States. Although the last quote is indeed famous, but I'd say that it's not as famous as the confrontation.

By which I mean, that it is not as far fetched as you think it is

yes i was spoiled, why do you ask
  • "There are lots of spoilers in that have managed to permeate pop culture. Superman's home planet is named Krypton, The Planet of the Apes was Earth, Darth Vader is Luke's father, Citizen Kane's sled was named Rosebud, Batman's an orphan, Goku is an alien, Dracula is a vampire."

Half of those aren't spoilers anyway, they happen at the near beginning of the story.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Not nearly half; only the Superman and Batman ones.
  • Which ones?
    Actually, Superman and Batman's were spoilers, once upon a time, when they started. We didn't know who Superman was and we didn't know who Batman was either. 
  • Also, Dracula being a Vampire is a spoiler?

Odd, I thought the "horror" part of ths story was due to him being a vampire.
    We didn't know whether Count Dracula himself was behind the events of the story, I think. 
  • edited 2011-09-18 12:15:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^^Huh...I suppose that was way before my time.

^^Yep. Bear in mind, a lot of people didn't know what a vampire was going into the story when it was first written.
  • Greetings again, Chagen of the Geometry test.

I, Mojo Jojo, shall ignore all the ignorant comments made in ignorance by ignoramuses and instead will directly address or respond to the Original Post. 

I dunno about you, but I hate the idea that I am just supposed to magically know some spoiler about a popular work.

I would suggest for you to avoid reading the trope page for "It Was His Sled", but it is clearly too late to do anything about that. I suggest that you instead channel your anger into doing something evil, like, for example, shoplifting or armed robbery.

Back when these two pages had examples, I had no clue about 95% of the examples. This idea is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Back when these two pages had examples,

See? They do not have any examples anymore! They are free of examples! If you look for examples of them, you will not find them, as they no longer exist! One example cannot exist, unless it is subtracted by one example! Two cannot exist, as there are zero examples and zero does not equal two! Three is right out! Unfortunately, it is not by your hands that they are devoid, bankrupt, free of examples! Thus, you must dedicate your life to destroying the one who has robbed you of your rightful victory! 

Huh...I suppose that was way before my time.

It was back in the Golden Age. Back when Flash wore a cereal bowl as a helmet and back when Robin slept in the same bed as Batman

yeah
  • @Juan_Carlos.

A Cereal Bowl, really?

Pfft

Oh, it's not really a cereal bowl. I just sad that for comedy value

• @Juan_Carlos...

Actually, I had to talk about something, but I felt it would be too obvious for me to talk about the elephant you just brought up.
  • @Chagen

And now you see the trope in work ;D

You didn't think any of those things were spoilers, even thought at one point they all were!

Batman and Robin sleeping together?

Yeah, thing is, that was the reason why the golden age of comics ended, as people started to suggest that comics were causing people to turn into homosexuals.

At least, I didn't see the paedophillia angle. Which you kinda expect, but whatever. 
  • Batman and Robin slept in one bed because they were best friends and partners, it was a common thing in 40s media, look at Laurel and Hardy.

A man whose name I forgot wrote a book that suggested that certain comics were unsuitable for minors and that a ratings system should be introduced.

People blew it waaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion and thus the Silver Age showed up.
  • Morecambe and Wise, who were a very famous British TV comedy duo in the '60s and '70s, also used to do the "sharing a bed" thing in sketches, perhaps as a shout out to or parody of this idea.
  • edited 2011-09-18 14:41:01
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do think it was overblown,but it was still kind of creepy as, you know, Robin is a kid.