If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Tropes "It Was His Sled" and "All There Is To Know About The Crying Game".

Comments

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-17 21:28:39
    Like the time Juan carlos spoiled Xander's wedding?

JUAN CARLOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Myrmy: Whoah. It seems kinda odd. Like it's still a parody. What's the context?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    That's hardly ubiquitous.
  • I know. I just like blaming him for things.
  • And of course everyone ignores my post

Like always
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • It's how everyone is going "Well, you're supposed to know.....because you're supposed to".

That's not an answer. That's using circular logic to shut down the argument. 

Stuff like the "NOOOOO" in StarWars are part of the dominant culture.  Therefore there's an assumption that if you want to be part of the culture, it's your fault if you don't know it.  It's not fair, but that's what it is.

• "This line was first used and repeated by the chacter of Jackie Rhoades, looking into a mirror in The Twilight Zone episode Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room, broadcast on 10/14/1960."

So yes, but Taxi Driver made it famous.

Hey, I bet not many people remember The Heat Of The Night, even though they might know the most famous line from it.
  • Myrmy: WHICH IS?
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:33:57
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    It's something that get's referenced so often it becomes common knowledge. Keyword is common, as in the majority of people know about it. Statistically, it's reasonable to assume that you do too. If you don't, well now you do. It's as simple as that.

EDIT: Ninja'd
  • Here, let the trailer for the sequel repeat it multiple times

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-17 21:36:59
    No one is expecting you to know all of them, specifically, Chagen. I just think that everyone is expecting you to understand WHY it's common in the first place. Sure, you're an exception, but just like in medicine, a minority exception does not excuse the majority who it applies to.

OMG MR TIBBS.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:39:30
    "And of course everyone ignores my post

Like always"

This is not Twitter. Despite what the Internet has taught you, the world does not revolve around you.

Anyways, it seems I've got quite a lot of catching up to do in terms of movies. My only exposure to the Mr. Tibbs line was The Lion King.

• edited 2011-09-17 21:59:15
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Thumped.
  • Ummm, has the Snape killing Dumbledore surfaced?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • I guess that would ruin Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince since barely anything else of note happens in the book.
  • You can change. You can.
    And you know, like...half the series if you have never ever read it beyond pop cultural osmosis.
    uhhhh

horcruxes

?
  • Okay, besides exposition.

• What about THE ROMANCE D:
    The destruction of the Ring horcrux.
    And you know, character arcs and Harry's decision to finally go on his own in book seven doesn't happen if you take out six.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    SPOILER ALERT!: Adam and Eve are naked.
    SPOILER ALERT!: Eve is tempted by the serpent and eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.  Adam does too.
    SPOILER ALERT!: God finds out about this.  He kickbans them from Eden.
    SPOILER ALERT!: Cain kills his brother Abel.
    SPOILER ALERT!: God floods the world and kills everything.
    SPOILER ALERT!: God doesn't quite kill everything because he preps Noah and his family with a boat and pairs of all animals.
    SPOILER ALERT!: Abram becomes Abraham.
    SPOILER ALERT!: Sodom and Gomorrah are destroyed.
    SPOILER ALERT!: Lot looks back and is punished for it, by his wife getting turned into a pillar of salt.
  • edited 2011-09-17 22:19:09
    Eh, I guess I was annoyed with the book setting up the Half-Blood Prince to be something monumentally important yet being a relatively minor plot point as well as the aforementioned ring horcrux quest almost being a shaggy dog story if not for mentioning Regulus (another relatively minor plot point). The whole thing felt overly drawn-out.
  • Spoiler Alert. Hitler died. and the germans lost WW2
  • But do people know why the Germans were so pissed off in the first place?
    Spoiler Alert: Captain America and Rory punched Hitler.
  • @Juan: But did the Captain lock Hitler in the broom closet?

I thought not
    Spoiler Alert: Rory is actually Captain Britain. UK's answer to Captain America

Spoiler Alert: Captain Britain was the actual reason Hitler killed himself.