If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Tropes "It Was His Sled" and "All There Is To Know About The Crying Game".

edited 2011-09-17 20:47:02 in General
[tɕagɛn]
I dunno about you, but I hate the idea that I am just supposed to magically know some spoiler about a popular work. Back when these two pages had examples, I had no clue about 95% of the examples. This idea is stupid, stupid, stupid. No, as amazing as it seems, I did not know it was his sled, thank you very much.

Comments

• But you're expected to know. 

For example, I am continually amazed at how little Cakkie knows about Buffy, even though he browsed the same Tv Tropes website as I did. 

• THATS THE WHOLE POINT

Why am I expected to know to know this? I shun most media and modern day culture. People cannot know everything. It's assholish to expect me to know something about a show just because it's popular.
  • There is no invisible man who will beat you with a stick if you do not know these things. It's OK.
  • edited 2011-09-17 20:54:10
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    WHOOPS NO CRITICISM SORRY
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    No, but the trope seems to imply that you should.

There are very few things about media I expect people to know.The Crying Game's twist is not one.

On the other hand, though, things like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" are pretty much universally known- at least, within countries like Britain, America and Australia.
  • I don't think it's so much as "you need to know all of these plots" so much so as "these are not a spoiler anymore according to today's society."
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Jesus dies.
  • Wait, The Crying Game is an actual work?

-checks-

Well, I'll be damned.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I don't think it's so much as "you need to know all of these plots" so much so as "these are not a spoiler anymore according to today's society."

I missed the 'within the target demographic' bit. I can agree to that.
  • Except for me.

I didn't know that the "NOOOOO" came from Star Wars, BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STAR WARS MOVIE.
  • edited 2011-09-17 20:57:15
    INUH, I WAS ALMOST DONE THAT BOOK, AAAGGHH!
    ^^And that's considered highly unusual.
  • I was surprised to find out that Jekyll and Hyde was supposed to be a twist ending, with the alter ego and all.
  • INUH, I swear you once said that you hate this trope.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:01:44

"Why am I expected to know to know this? I shun most media and modern day culture."

...whatever.

Incidentally, in the case of the movie for which It Was His Sled was named after, I doubt most young uns would have watched it. Though admittedly, it's a meaningless phrase unless you know what the context is.

As for Star Wars, the first time I was exposed to the infamous reveal was in Toy Story 2. Though again, it didn't tell me the significance of it, so when I came around to watching the movies, I didn't feel too terrible about knowing beforehand.

• My mom didn't know the twist of Citizen Kane when we watched it.
  • I never saw Citizen Kane, but "rosebud" has showed up all over the place. The Sims, Over the Hedge...

OK, maybe that's not ALL over the place...
  • AHR: Guess what?

I don't watch/play those either.
  • The only time I saw Citizen Kane was in English class, and we didn't finish the movie.
  • Chagen: Good for you! --thumbs up--

Anyway, oh yeah! I remember the toy story 2 thing. I think I only had a vague idea of what it was parodying, hahahah.
    INUH, I swear you once said that you hate this trope.
    Yeah, but I understand why it's a thing.
  • HOORAY FOR UNDERSTANDING PEOPLE!
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:05:20
    [tɕagɛn]
    I love how I make an innocent thread and all you guys do is mock me.

Oh wait.

I meant, I don't love when people mock me for making a simple thread.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:05:43
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I didn't know that the "NOOOOO" came from Star Wars, BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STAR WARS MOVIE.

It's constantly referenced and parodied everywhere. That's one of those ones that knowing what it does mean is considered normal.
  • You can change. You can.
    > Almost nobody has watched Citizen Kane

I'm ashamed of being in the same forum as you.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-09-17 21:06:18
    ^^Kinda like a godfather parody, only without the spoileryness.
  • "It's constantly referenced and parodied everywhere. That's one of those ones that knowing what it does mean is considered normal."

And? Why am I expected to know this?
    I love how I make an innocent thread and all you guys do is mock me.

Oh wait.

I meant, I don't love when people mock me for making a simple thread.

I love it when people feel the need to spell out their sarcasm for me.

I don't even see any mocking.
  • Actually...off topic, but has anyone here seen The Godfather?

WHY is that scene parodied so often?
    Kinda like a godfather parody, only without the spoileryness.

I'm not sure what that is. Unless it's the dude stroking the cat?

And? Why am I expected to know this?

Because it's constantly parodied and referenced everywhere to the point it's considered normal to know.

Self explanatory.