If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Stop watching moe, IJBM

Comments

• edited 2011-11-16 19:56:52
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    ^^^American Superhero Comics.
  • You can change. You can.
    Ugh, that made me sick to type. But anyway, moe isn't "has female characters" it's "has female characters that you're specifically meant to fawn over in a protective way". Cowboy Bebop has Faye Valentine, but you're not meant to fawn over her in a protective way.

That isn't his point. His point is that Moe is not a genre so it can't have female characters, for starters.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Male moe exists. It's not as popular as female moe, but that's mostly because of the prominence of male fans in animu.
  • edited 2011-11-16 20:00:54

Ugh, that made me sick to type. But anyway, moe isn't "has female characters" it's "has female characters that you're specifically meant to fawn over in a protective way". Cowboy Bebop has Faye Valentine, but you're not meant to fawn over her in a protective way.

No, it's not.  Moe is a specific reaction that a person has to a character in some media.  It does not describe the media itself, and in fact doesn't even really describe particular characters.  What is and is not moe is highly dependent on personal taste.  The problem (or one of the problems) with allowing "moe" to describe a type of anime or even a type of character is that it is far too broad a definition, so people just interpret that in whatever way allows them to be dismissive of things they don't like (or, hell, even using it just to describe things they do like is bad too), plus it's just generally inaccurate.  

At the very least, they're a lot more productive than a lot of the other things people talk about here. At least moe has some degree of (pop-)cultural significance and shit, unlike threads about how a particular site admin is somewhat inadequate.

>Debates on the internet
    >Productive

• edited 2011-11-16 20:14:55
    >Moe is a specific reaction that a person has to a character in some media.  It does not describe the media itself, and in fact doesn't even really describe particular characters.  What is and is not moe is highly dependent on personal taste. The problem with allowing "moe" to describe a type of anime or even a type of character is that it is far too broad a definition

Except certain shows are designed specifically to elicit the moe reaction in the audience, or at the very least feature that as a prominent element. The producers of the shows bank on this through merchandise and DVD sales. The characters and story are constructed around getting this reaction from the audience, and for most of these shows, the taste you refer to is based around generalized otaku tastes that have proven successful in the past. It's not a character type in itself, but certain character types have shown to elicit moe reactions from certain demographics, so those character types are used, with the moe-reaction endgoal in mind.

Yes, moe is indeed the reaction. But when every facet of the show is based around eliciting that reaction, generally from a specific audience, what else do you call it other than "moe", or else as a sub-genre like "moe comedy" or "moe drama"?
    Is there really a show in which "every facet is based around eliciting that reaction"?

I mean, I watched K-On, which is supposedly the epitome of moeshit, and while it's true that the show tried to be cutesy and stuff, it definetly was willing to make fun of its characters in a non-demeaning (As in, reducing them to a moeblob of tears and "hugme") way as well.
  • edited 2011-11-16 20:20:28

^^ You call it whatever it actually is.  A comedy or drama or harem or whatever.  Moe is a cultural phenomenon, comparable to the kawaii aesthetic (or grouping of aesthetics or whatever).  You don't generally say a show is part of the kawaii genre if it happens to have an aesthetic centered around cuteness (as many shows do).  You might say the show is cute, but that's not really the same thing.  In the same way, it is appropriate to say a show is created with moe in mind or whatever, but to say that the show is moe in the same way you'd say it's a comedy or action series is incorrect.

Yes, it is true that a large amount of otaku-targeted media focuses on moe to a large extent and uses that as the basis for its merchandising and the like, but really the emphasis on moe is too widespread (in terms of the kind and genre of media it's found in) and the media that emphasizes it are too different for it to really make sense to refer to "moe anime" as a whole.  It hardly makes a lot of sense to lump K-ON! and Neon Genesis Evangelion into the same genre, really.

• edited 2011-11-16 20:49:44
    ^^ Okay, most facets.

>You don't generally say a show is part of the kawaii genre if it happens to have an aesthetic centered around cuteness (as many shows do).  You might say the show is cute, but that's not really the same thing.  In the same way, it is appropriate to say a show is created with moe in mind or whatever, but to say that the show is moe in the same way you'd say it's a comedy or action series is incorrect.

So long as we've established that cuteness is a different thing than moe: I'd argue that "aww, how cute" is a less powerful/exploitable reaction than "I want to hold this girl and make her my waifu", so with the cuteness shows you refer to, their writing and characters are less informed by the cuteness aspect than they are by the "let's make the audience laugh" aspect. The moe shows you and I tend to think of, on the other hand, seem to be developed with the moe aspect in mind equally with the comedy or drama aspect. The otaku just keep coming back for moe more than they do regular cuteness or regular comedy, so that's the way the cookie crumbles in terms of how the shows are produced.

>the media that emphasizes it are too different for it to really make sense to refer to "moe anime" as a whole.  It hardly makes a lot of sense to lump K-ON! and Neon Genesis Evangelion into the same genre, really.

Has anyone done this in actual reality? If so, they're an idiot, no matter you choose to classify your genres. Evangelion and K-On are not similar shows; Rei could perhaps be compared to other moe-inspired characters, but the shows themselves could not.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    > Haruhi is unmoe, but Samus in Other: M is.

Of the three leading female characters of Haruhi, I felt that only one was designed to illicit a paternal, fraternal or sexually motivated protective response. Haruhi and Yuki were independent and strong in their own ways and their more vulnerable moments were too few and far between for those characters to be classified as moe. Unless there's an interpretation of the show out there that orbits Mikuru's breasts, I don't think it can be classified as moe based on a single character.

Samus' characterisation in Other M is entirely based around vulnerability, and using that to draw out an emotional response.

My essential issue with moe as an element that can characterise genre is that it's demeaning. It always entails a character being based around an "endearing" flaw. I don't think there are any problems with a flaw being considered endearing in some context-sensitive scenarios, but there's something reductive about the tendency that irks me. And keep in mind that moe characters are always exceptionally pretty at the least, and some are inhumanly attractive. There's an implication that a flaw, when someone is beautiful, is justified by their sexual fitness and thus becomes endearing. It takes more effort on the part of writers to make a regular-looking character's flaws seem cute, and sometimes an entire work has to dedicated to an ugly character's flaws to make their struggles seem noble.

One thing that does escape me is why there aren't any moe shows with a male cast, aimed at women. It's common for women to like men who are in some respects effeminate, or for girlfriends and wives to request their significant other to present themselves in a more effeminate manner. While some women do enjoy moe shows, there's a distinct pattern here. Young, vulnerable women are being marketed towards men, who are usually somewhere in their mid teens to fully-established adulthood. That just sets off all the sirens in my head. Not that I wish to imply anything about those who enjoy moe shows -- I don't begrudge shows some moe characters, because they're certainly have a place -- but the widespread marketing of this and its presence in contemporary internet culture (predominantly young to youngish men) means that it's found to be successful, and therefore marketed. Basically, moe is selling fictionalised female vulnerability. This isn't anything truly horrible, but the implications aren't kind.
  • edited 2011-11-17 00:26:09
    "Of the three leading female characters of Haruhi, I felt that only one was designed to illicit a paternal, fraternal or sexually motivated protective response."

You and I must be watching a completely different show.

I also disagree with the idea that Samus was meant to be vulnerable considering Team Ninja's history of female portrayal/

Also, male moe does exist, like Hetalia. There just aren't as many since there are more male animu watchers.
    Haruhi and Yuki had their own endearing character elements, but they never came across as especially vulnerable to me. One example of what makes Yuki endearing is her alien interpretation of human activities, for instance. It's funny and memorable, like when friends do things that are stupid but harmless in real life.
    Haruhi and Yuki were independent and strong in their own ways and their more vulnerable moments were too few and far between for those characters to be classified as moe.

That implies that moe is just "Uguu~, my skirt is flowing in the wind, don't peeeeeeeeeek~" or whatever the fuck.

For the record, tsundere-ness and emotionlessness can be moe. There's a reason why there are oh so many Rei body pillows in the world.
  • edited 2011-11-17 00:29:12
    The entire first novel establishes Haruhi as so emotionally vulnerable she could destroy the universe.

The fourth categorizes Yuki much the same.

The difference between Mikuru's moe and the others is that Mikuru's moe is self-aware.

^That too.
  • Has anyone done this in actual reality? If so, they're an idiot, no matter you choose to classify your genres. Evangelion and K-On are not similar shows; 

Exactly.  But the female cast of Evangelion clearly demonstrates moe (even if Anno would argue that this was unintentional, it doesn't really matter since moe, whether it's an audience reaction or a genre, only matters from the audience's perspective anyway) to the exact same extent as in a lot of shows that often are considered moe anime.  In fact, just going by volume (though I understand that this isn't really particularly fair), Evangelion actually seems to have more moe-based merchandising than much of what is typically called moe anime, and you yourself say that this is a big part of moe.

If you want an example that nobody would object to... Clannad and Haruhi.  Both of them are considered moe by pretty much every single definition of moe as a genre that I have seen (and indeed, both are often referred to as moe anime).  Yet they have very little in common aside from what they share due to their relationship to the harem genre.

(will probably end up responding to other parts of your post later)

@Malk: I'm going off the first season of the anime here.

@Juan: If you meant to say that I'm >implying that moe is about vulnerability, in essence, then yes. Tsundere's a great example, but it's vulnerability to the extent of wearing an emotional mask. Emotionlessness might be a bit different, depending on context. For instance, Yuki doesn't emote, but she feels. It's just that there methods of expression are subtle and alien. Justified trope, I guess.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > watch all of the moe anime

For some reason, this phrase amuses me.

it would amuse me further if it were:

> watch all of the moe animes
  • Haruhi and Yuki had their own endearing character elements, but they never came across as especially vulnerable to me.

Moe isn't really about vulnerability.  That is kind of an aspect of it, but really in practice moe has more to do with finding a character endearing because of their flaws (even if it's just something like them being kind of ditzy) than specifically because they are vulnerable.

• edited 2011-11-17 00:38:25
    The first season of the anime includes the first novel.

Remember that whole bit where haruhi was feeling insecure because she thought Mikuru and Kyon were flirting then subconsciously developed a pocket dimension, then the day after being told that Kyon prefers ponytails tries to wear her hair in a ponytail?

You can honestly say that wasn't meant to provoke a 'moeeeeee~' reaction?

^This is especially true. A good example is Yui, who isn't all that vulnerable but is ditzy and forgetful.
  • edited 2011-11-17 00:42:43
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ That's certainly another part of it, although that's another can of worms. From my observations, though, almost all of the most popular moe characters are exceptionally vulnerable individuals.

^ It was cute, but that kind of behaviour doesn't define her characterisation nor is it glorified. Because of the challenges it poses to Kyon, it's a significant obstacle, irrespective of how endearing it otherwise might be. Haruhi's emotional instability has the tangible power to destroy. As an audience, we can't sit back and let a cute flaw or vulnerability be that, but we deal with it as an actual flaw through Kyon's perspective.
    If you meant to say that I'm >implying that moe is about vulnerability, in essence, then yes. Tsundere's a great example, but it's vulnerability to the extent of wearing an emotional mask. Emotionlessness might be a bit different, depending on context. For instance, Yuki doesn't emote, but she feels. It's just that there methods of expression are subtle and alien. Justified trope, I guess.

Yeah, but that's not what your post state. What your post state was that moe was a very specific kind of vulnerability, which is the kind displayed by Mikuru (Crying ALL THE TIME, hypergirly voice, stuttering, etc etc)

Moe is about causing the viewer to want to help the characters emotionally speaking. It doesn't matter how the work in question does it. It might do it by having the characters beaten to an utter pulp emotionally speaking, or it might be by making them emotionally wrecked.

Regardless, my point is that your post was implicating that moe was something beyond an audience reaction (Which can be pursued in particular ways, some of which are more cliche than others) 
    > Moe isn't really about vulnerability.  That is kind of an aspect of it,
    but really in practice moe has more to do with finding a character
    endearing because of their flaws (even if it's just something like them
    being kind of ditzy) than specifically because they are vulnerable.

I thought it was about vulnerability, specifically of the kind JC just described.
  • edited 2011-11-17 00:46:44
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ I don't think I implied that, especially given my use of Other M as an example, wherein Samus only occasionally outwardly emotes and everything else is given via her monotone narration. In addition, I spent another couple of paragraphs expanding on my initial thought, including some points on what might drive moe internally.
    I'd argue that Yui manages to be vulnerable in her ditziness, for the record, but it wouldn't be a particularly strong argument. :p
  • edited 2011-11-17 00:51:36
    ^Maybe in another series, but not in K-on. =P

^^Quite frankly the fact that you think moe comes into Other M means you're thinking on it harder than Team Ninja were.

I honestly feel their main objective was STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER. 

Probably a better example of 'badass' moe would be in Highschool of the Dead with Saeko who is physically badass but is honestly disturbed by how much she actually enjoys being violent and hurting what were once fellow human beings.

Also, another example of male moe, come to think of it, is Kaiji.
  • Quite frankly the fact that you think moe comes into Other M means you're thinking on it harder than Team Ninja were.

I honestly feel their main objective was STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER.

Moe is an audience reaction, not something that has to be put in place on purpose.  Otherwise, Rei freaking Ayanami wouldn't be moe, and that would just be bizarre.

I thought it was about vulnerability, specifically of the kind JC just described.

Not really.  Vulnerability can cause moe, but moe can also be caused by other traits.  What is important is that the character appears endearing to the audience, and that the audience feels like they want to help them or take care of them or... something like that.  Basically, the character has to be flawed in a way that the audience thinks is cute.

• edited 2011-11-17 00:53:10
    You can change. You can.
    I thought Other M's goal was to add depth to Samus' bounty hunter persona via weakness against dangerous situations (Which is all sorts of wrong and fucktarded, but hey!)

Anyway, I was mostly referring to that particular sentence, which derives into a bigger point, actually, and it's that creating the feeling of "I want to protect this" is not obligatorily done with the whole "Am I kawaii, uguu~?" deal.

Moe is an audience reaction, not something that has to be put in place on purpose. Otherwise, Rei freaking Ayanami wouldn't be moe, and that would just be bizarre.

I'd argue that while Anno clearly thinks Rei is creepy and supposed to go under your skin, he still tries to elicit sympathy from her plight as Gendo's slave.
  • edited 2011-11-17 00:53:55
    ^^True, DYRE, but I think writers can try to intentionally cause a moe reaction. I think Nagaru Tanigawa was trying to invoke it. I don't think Team Ninja was.

^Right. Holo is moe, not because she's especially vulnerable but because she can be petty and petulant and manage to be charming while doing it.
    Horo is considered moë?
    Quite frankly the fact that you think moe comes into Other M means you're thinking on it harder than Team Ninja were.

Yeah, this is a significant issue, but I don't think that particular one is on my end. That Other M ended up with moe is more a reflection on the writing's perspective on a having a female protagonist, but that discussion ends up broadening the topic too much, so I'm happy to leave it at that.

Also, another example of male moe, come to think of it, is Kaiji.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think a character having vulnerabilities that allow one to feel for them is enough to characterise them as moe, otherwise any good character would be moe. One could argue, for instance, that Misato is more. We certainly get an insight into her vulnerabilities and flaws, but they're not what her character is about. Rather, her characterisation ends up revolving around her strength in facing the challenges she does. She's got responsibilities as a mother/older sister (through Shinji), a lover (through Kaiji) and a government official (through NERV), and we see them taking their toll. All the same, she becomes the closest thing NGE has to a hero in the modern sense of the term.

Similarly, Kaiji isn't based on his flaws and vulnerabilities. He has them, but they're not anywhere close to the focus of his character. Like Misato, he's heroic. He willingly makes sacrifices for what he considers a greater good.