If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Cookclub

1235»

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Not exactly cooking, but I know there's a YouTube channel out there dedicated to reviewing military rations around the world.
    I think I saw a few of these. Also, funny thing: I had an opportunity to taste the French one, but only the French. It was good, but that's what you'd expect from French cooking, even if military.
    Also TIL meatless minced meat is a thing outside Cuba.
    Is this a commie thing, or a Cuban thing? We haven't had that as far as I know (by which I mean I just never heard of any local take on it), but there was "chocolate-like product".
  • I heard about it as a Cuba-in-times-of-communism thing, as something they did to make do with whatever little they had, though to be fair it looks delicious.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It does look delicious.

Also I looked up picadillo on (English) Wikipedia and it says that Costa Rican picadillo also doesn't necessarily include meat.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Do you guys also have AI-designed barbecue sauce flavors where you live?

Because I recently obtained a little curio: a sauce marketed as designed by an AI. It's got this science-fiction-y label, you know, this "cybernetic" font and all. Apparently mint-jalapeno is an odd enough combination of flavors that they needed an AI to come up with it.

It's quite good, to be honest.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    The sooner recipe books are all replaced with AI, the sooner we can all stop worrying about it.

If only we'd taken the "learn to code" people seriously...
  • Reminds me about the recent thing with Gemini recommending glue on pizza.

I wonder what's up with the white onions during the 30s that one of the dudes describes as sweet.

Also hopefully more happened off-screen during the 20s segment, because it looks like the bread got beef on it that never got cooked.
    It's been a long time since I posted a recipe here, but finally I had enough time to go on a culinary rampage. I present thee...

KUGEL À L'ANTISÉMITE

Basically, there's an Ashkenazi Jewish dish called a "kugel". I have no idea (because I didn't bother to check) if that's a name actually used by Jews, but here's how we call it (along a bunch of other names), it sounds German/Yiddish, so I'm taking the risk.

It's a simple dish, shred some potatoes and mix with eggs and bake, can't go wrong with such a setup. Of course, it doesn't mean people didn't try. In the basic version there's also onion and garlic, what I'm about to describe is a fancy take based on a mashup of two fancy versions from that one fancy regional restaurant I've been to.

By the way, it's not just a Jewish dish. I'm willing to let them claim the invention, but in any case at some point some Polish folks figured they're gonna try out that stuff the Goldbergs down the street seem to enjoy so much. So, while the Jewish version needs to be kosher, their Polish neighbors had no such concerns and so stuff like bacon began to get in. Hence the name, because let's be honest, back in the day not being an antisemite was kinda like not eating animal-derived foodstuffs is now. ("Okay, we get it, now shut up and let us enjoy throwing stones at their storefronts, will ya.")

So, you will need:
    * some 1,5 kg potatoes;
    * some 0,5 kg sauerkraut;
    * 3-4 onions;
    * 3-5 these little garlic thingies;
    * some 200 g bacon;
    * 4-5 eggs;
    * salt and pepper;
    * some oil.

So, peel the potatoes and shred them, and preferably squeeze them so there's less juice in it. (You want them in shredded form, not, like, a mush or something.) Put the sauerkraut in a sieve and/or squeeze, but keep the juice.

Keep the juice, I tell ya!

So, keep the juice. Now, chop the squeezed sauerkraut, it'll make it easier to handle. You're gonna mix it with potatoes, but let's fry the onions first.

Chop the bacon and dump onto a frying pan. You may want some oil to make it easier, or just have grasy bacon and be careful enough. Anyway, you have bacon and enough oil/grease, so you can add chopped onions and crushed/pressed garlic and fry until the onions are soft and translucent.

Now there'd be the time to add one to another, but your bacon/onions mix is hot, so you may want to wait. I didn't want to wait, so I just added and mixed everything with a big spoon so the temperature evened out on its own, but I had to be careful not to do it by hand lest I get burned. Add the salt and pepper, and if it's cold enough, add eggs, and mix everything thoroughly.

Grab a deep baking dish, smear it on the inside with oil so it won't stick, dump the mix into the dish, and stuff it into the oven set to some 180 degrees Celsius.

Eggs tend to be more watery than you expect them to, so it'll need time to bake well, but take care and keep an eye it and in some hour or two it should be more or less fine.

And now, the most important part...

...you did keep the juice, didn't you?

Now drink it. DRIIIINK. That delicious acid. Mmmh.