If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Those evil muppets are brainwashing kids against the oil companies.

2»

Comments

• Yes, well, be that as it may, I wasn't talking about a "bad" attitude per se. I was talking to Juan in the first place, he just said it was worthless and left it at that.
  • Forzare, I hope you're being sarcastic. With that lack of syntactical intuition for curses, you'll never be a sailor.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:26:20
    Also in context it's not wrong. It is very obvious what he meant... It's pretty deceitful to interpret it like that. Most importantly, the fact that we didn't use renewable energy then doesn't mean we can't now.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:24:52
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ I can think of curses that would fit beautifully there, but not with the five letters suggested by the number of symbols.

Also I'd be a fucking terrible sailor.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well you can probably make a case that every mention of electricity powering something else ought to be checked to see where that electricity is coming from.  That said, the rest of the article is mostly about electricity generation methods.

...that said, the beginning of the article is about how fossil fuel use is outdated.  True, coal and oil and natural gas are burned for electricity, but they are also burned for heating and for transportation.

Now if you do make your cars electric cars, you actually run up against a different problem: electricity storage.  Batteries do not come cheap.  That said, if you can make real good storage technology, you've suddenly solved two problems: portable energy for transportation and intermittent energy sources from solar and wind.

As a sidenote, geothermal is not equally accesible everywhere.  Heck, everything that's not an easily transportable energy source is not equally accessible everywhere; the most transportable are the fossil fuels, followed by nuclear sources.

On that note, the article does make a good point about distributed/personal/local generation of power.  Cuts down on transmission losses, requires less infrastructure to maintain collectively, and especially in the case of solar, takes advantage of the fact that the energy capture itself is distributed.
  • You can change. You can.
    Yes, well, be that as it may, I wasn't talking about a "bad" attitude per se. I was talking to Juan in the first place, he just said it was worthless and left it at that.

INUH pointed out why the evidence and arguments used in the argument might or might not be good enough and up to scientific standards.

if there's a doubt, then it follows that there might be other holes in the argument.
  • edited 2011-12-06 23:37:57
    Yes well, OK then Juan. That's a reasonable way of putting it.

The problem with that is that the author was obviously entirely aware of this. They were making a point of what we could do with electric transportation, and what but two sentences later they mention we don't need to use fossil fuels for power generation.

The best thing to do is to take the entire thing in at once, so you don't misinterpret it.
  • I don't think the letter to symbol ratio is necessarily meant to be 1:1, but even if it were, I think "faggy" could work.

Also, "bitch attitude" is, I believe, an acceptable noun phrase in some dialects. I wish Bob or Vorpy were around to corroborate.
  • I mostly only use curse words to be funny. I put the symbols there to show I was frustrated, it wasn't supposed to mean anything.
  • Well you can probably make a case that every mention of electricity
    powering something else ought to be checked to see where that
    electricity is coming from.

To an extent.  Internal combustion has such a crappy efficiency that an electric car getting better usage with power from the same fuel burned in a plant transferred through the grid isn't all that out of the question.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    When I have a moment sometime I'm going to actually go look up efficiency factors and try the calculation for myself...
  • My word, this fiasco even made it into one of the Dutch papers they hand out for free at the train station. Needless to say, it didn't do anything other than register the presentator's statements and the comic reactions in a snide manner. I hate it when a newspaper assumes that self-congratulatory sarcastic tone.