If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that New York is the world premier of Gay rights/equality.

edited 2011-06-25 11:05:54 in General
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
(Or how I really shouldn't read trending topics on Twitter.)

Really It is good for another place in the US to allow same sex marriage, however there are quite a few comments about how the state is leading the way etc.

It isn't, in world there are many countries that have gay right equality laws and have had them for years
New York isn't even the first US state, it is the 6th to allow gay marriage.

Comments

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I've lived in New York for most of my life, and I've never met a single person that didn't think homosexuality was a sin.

This is a ridiculous statement.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ Really? Did you live in a religious area or anything like that?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I thought it was San Francisco, not NYC.  NY state hasn't even legalized gay marriage yet.

Also, there are quite a few Catholics in NYC who oppose gay marriage.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    People overreact. It's still a good thing, though.

That said, I live in the mountains of NY. Racist and homophobic as fuck out here.
  • edited 2011-06-25 11:46:33
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^^

^
    Yeah it is a good thing undoubtedly, the overreactions bug me something fierce though. 

• I oppose straight marriage.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh, they just did.
    Yup, very recently I think. (Yesterday? I'm not sure about US timezones.)
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Yep. Yesterday. It was actually pretty uncertain with the deciding vote being Republican.
    Yeah, I bet those republicans will have some trouble from their support base.

(Also first anti gay tweet on the #equalityforall I've seen today: "remember if u can "love" who u want who are u to say the lady with the horse is wrong or unnatural?" )
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Really? Did you live in a religious area or anything like that?

Well, most of the people I know were immigrants from Jamaica (aka the most homophobic place on Earth) or Trinidad (which can't be too far behind), so it wasn't necessarily religion that did it.
    ^
    Fair enough I only assumed religion as you mentioned them thinking it was a sin.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    aka the most homophobic place on Earth

Uganda recently passed a law making homosexuality punishable by death.

I think.
    Jamaica only recently repealed one of those, I think.
  • "world premier"

Oh, USA.

• This is caused by Americans thinking America is the only country in the world. Nothing surprising.
  • $80+ per session
    ^Stop doing that. A lot of us live in America.
  • I never said all Americans. And I live in America.
  • $80+ per session
    You still do it a lot in general. You're actually kind of a hypocrite about it.
  • Weren't you the one that called me ignorant about the USA and then said you had no need to know about Canada?
  • I live in New York. I can count the people who are completely against gay marriage I know on one hand.
  • edited 2011-06-25 16:17:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    You don't live in a place like Howard Beach, obviously.

Well, I don't either, but from what I know of the area, there are a large number of Catholics, and even their Democratic state senator is against it.  Last I heard at least.

I wonder how Joe Abbaddo voted on this issue.
  • With a population over 19 million -- more than the combined population of the five states that currently allow gay marriage, plus the District of Columbia, where it is also legal -- New York is poised to provide the most complete picture yet of the legal, social and economic consequences of gay marriage.

That is what Yahoo says.
  • How on earth can there be economic consequences due to gay marriage?

(By the way, I'm aware that the word "consequences" can mean both positive and negative effects. I'm asking how can it effect anything at all?)
  • http://www.nomblog.com/10634/

Well, that's a waste of 2 Million....
  • ^^^ Coz it's not like several countries have been doing it for years.
  • a little muffled
    @Unknownlight: You think weddings are free?
  • @Nyktos: No, but I don't see how gay weddings could possibly be any more expensive than straight weddings. =/
  • edited 2011-06-26 00:35:39
    a little muffled
    Well, I wouldn't expect them to be, but uh, they are more...happening now that gay people can get married?
  • $80+ per session
    Gay marriage equals more adoption.