If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

GMH posts opinions generated on Steam's Discovery Queue

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    1. Assassin's Creed Unity

This gives off some of the same inappropriate feeling of excessive "coolness", though at least the second video got me to appreciate the efforts the devteam put into simulating the city of Paris at a high level of detail.

Still, I'm not sold on it, and if anything it seems like a game I'm more likely to watch someone else play than play myself.  It feels cinematic and scripted.

2. Dungeon of the Endless

This seems like a pretty interesting game.

I like the exploration.  I'm just not sure I'm sold on it also being a roguelike, that would undo the value of that exploration.  To some extent I've already had this experience with Rogue Legacy.

I'll leave it around.

3. Age of Mythology: Extended Edition

This is basically an AoE 3 expansion, isn't it?  I'll leave it around, but most likely I won't pick it up on Steam, but that'll take a while since I'm waiting for AoE 2 to show up on GOG or some other DRM-free service.

4. Pink Heaven

This is a free game by Pixel (most famous for Cave Story).  So, yeah, thanks for the reminder, adding it to my library now.

5. Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

I'll get into the Half-Life series later, thanks.

6. Life is Feudal: Your Own

A Medieval life simulator I guess.

A lot of these sim games I think depend on having a lot of patience to slowly discover and adapt to the mechanics, and that's really, honestly, not something I want in my life right now.  I want something to bring me through a journey, rather than build the road myself.

Apparently the game was also released with bugs, or otherwise not well done.

Between these things, I don't think I want this.  Despite the punny name.

7. LEGO Worlds

Looks neat.  Apparently a bit hard to play.  No purchase yet because it's Early Access and doesn't inspire me to jump on board.

8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Strangely, I'm more interested in Oblivion or Morrowind than Skyrim.

I think it's the Calladuty-style cover.  Or maybe the horns.

Still it's useful for that one SteamGifts meme "Skanks for thigh rim".

9. NEOTOKYO

Funny how the trailer starts off with Japanese audio while the game's store page says that it only has full English audio and no other audio.

I think this is the first time I've seen "This game is in your discovery queue just to see if you might be interested."  I admit I wasn't paying much attention to this line before though.

Anyway, if this was about trying to appeal to my taste for "anime" games by throwing an FPS in Japan, that's a dud.

It appears to look like Counter-Strike with Japanese theming.

I see that it's free, and thanks for letting me know about it, but I don't think I'm interested in a multiplayer FPS with serious theming, and especially not one with (as the reviews suggest) an established playerbase with their play styles.

10. Lovely Planet

I've seen this around before.

I don't like the use of gratuitous Japanese on the title card.  I don't think the devteam is actually Japanese.  Maybe I'm wrong.

The game itself seems fine.  Whimsical FPS gameplay.  Nice music.

I'll keep it around.

11. Total War: ROME II - Emperor Edition

If this is anything like TW:Attila in its presentation, I don't think I'll like this.

-Cinematic kill sequences disrupt the combat simulation

Yeah, I'm anti-sold.

12. Pit People

LOL @ "Available: Before the Apocalypse"

Looks like another game from the people behind Castle Crashers and Battleblock Theater.  Not necessarily my thing.  But it looks vaguely acceptable I guess.

Today's card count: 1 of 3
  • 6. Life is Feudal: Your Own
    A Medieval life simulator I guess.

That makes me wonder. What would an actual sims-style life simulator be like if set in something besides modern real life?
    1. Assassin's Creed Rogue

ARGH HOW MANY OF THEM ARE THERE

If I wanted stealthy parkour, I've got Mirror's Edge.

2. FaceRig

Become A Fictional Character Simulator?  Heh.

I think I've seen stuff made with this before.

Fortunately this program is relatively cheap.

This is amusing enough that I could actually see myself using it at some point.

...I would like to not have it tied to my Steam account though.  Sucks having to open Steam to get to a utility.

3. Lords of the Fallen

These trailers tell me nothing, other than that it's gritty dark fantasy.

I don't think I like this.

4. Half-Life: Source

I'm aware of the Half-Life series already.  I'll figure it out later.  When I feel like it.

5. Gunpoint

This looks pretty amusing.

The wide, distant view might make it hard to see things, but I'm admittedly only looking at the trailer and screenshots on the store page so far.  Also, this sort of game lends itself to puzzles, which I'm not great at, so there might be a limit to how much enjoyment I get out of it.  Unless those fails are entertaining enough themselves.

I'll consider this.  Wishlisting it low.

6. Kero Blaster

This is a game that Pink Hour/Heaven is a sort of intro to.  Wishlisting.

7. Wings of Vi

I was actually thinking of picking up this metroidvania game.  It looks well-drawn, at the very least.

The player-character walks a little weirdly, and I remember being a little concerned about the game being irritatingly difficult, but it will probably do.

It's not on sale right now though so I'm wishlisting it.

Also apparently there's a reference to I Wanna Be The Boshy.  And I don't even know what "Boshy" means.

8. BioShock Infinite

I dunno, I've just never really been interested in this game.  It's always been one of "those games that people keep on raving about".  From what I hear it's a jab at libertarianism, which gives it points in my book.  But it seems like, again, something that I'd rather watch someone else play, than play myself.

I'll let it stick around I guess.

9. Assetto Corsa

Sorry, not interested in car racing that has a focus on the cars.

The game looks quite nice, but it's just not my thing.

I like the trailers' music though, so I guess I'll let it stick around.

I could click "Next" now but I'm still listening to the music.

10. DeadCore

Ugh, that fisheye effect...turn down that FOV already.

I'm usually not a fan of FPS platforming, but this looks pretty decent.  I don't think it's something I'd go looking to play on my own accord though.

Also I noticed that it's tagged Indie but also published by Bandai Namco.  Huh?

11. STAR WARS Battlefront II

As of May 31, 2014, online functionality, including network multiplayer and wireless chat, will no longer be available for this title. We regret any disappointment as a result of the shutdown of the services supporting these online features.

Well, fuck this.

12. Paint the Town Red

Voxel Mass Murder Simulator.

Nah.

Today's card count: 2/3
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-26 23:41:30
    What, you don't want to play single-player Battlefront, where you can have 40+ kills and still lose because you're the only person on your team with positive score?
    1. Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

Moving on...

2. Pink Hour

It's the companion game to Pink Heaven.  Installing.

3. You Have to Win the Game

20 MB of 2D exploration platforming.  Free.  Installing.

The individually-named rooms make me think of VVVVVV.  This tradition probably has a predecessor somewhere in the Atari games.

Whelp, it actually takes 112 MB.  GIVING A NEGATIVE RE--just kidding.

So, installing the game.  This dev is awesome:

Minor Key Games "Plain English" License Agreement

By purchasing, downloading, installing, and/or playing this game, you agree to the following:

1. You can install this game on as many of your own personal devices as you'd like.
    2. You can make as many personal backups as you'd like.
    3. You can stream this game on YouTube or Twitch, even if you make money off your channel.
    4. If you run a LAN gaming event or other similar public event, you can play or demo the game at that event, or make the game available to others at the location for the duration of the event.
    5. You can share the game with your friends and family for the purpose of letting them try the game before they buy it.
    6. You can mod the game however you like.
    7. We believe that DRM is harmful to gaming culture and ineffective in combating piracy. For these reasons, we do not include DRM in our games. We ask that you respect this decision by not pirating this game. If you have obtained this copy via piracy, consider making a purchase.

4. FEZ

I already have a key for this.

Let's redeem it and move on.

5. TIS-100

A curious game -- a programming sim -- and I'm not surprised it's the SpaceChem folks behind this.

Let's keep it around.

6. Warhammer 40,000: Regicide

The videos are loading slow for me so I'm just gonna go by the screenshots.

So this is a computer-based implementation of tabletop wargame I guess?

7. METAL SLUG X

I'm already aware this exists, and I'm going to decide on it after I play Metal Slug 3.

8. Titan Souls

This looks really neat.

Which means I check the negative reviews.

The negative reviews suggest that the game's problems are that (1) it doesn't allow convenient retrying of bosses, and (2) the boss patterns are a bit luck-dependent, which doesn't quite go well with your character being a one-hit-point wonder.  Also a suggestion to play with an analog stick to get omnidirectional aiming.

Still, I might get some enjoyment out of this, so I'm wishlisting it.

9. Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition

I've got Fallout 1 and 2.  And apparently Fallout 3 is also not optimized for Win7 and later.  Odd.

Well, later.

10. TowerFall Ascension

I have been playing TowerFall for almost eight hours now; I would say that this is a game to play in small chunks. Bring it out when you have friends over for an hour of almost archery style Super Smash Bro fun, but any more than that, and you may find yourself getting a little bored. This is certainly a game to keep installed due to the replay-ability though.

This could be an issue.  The game seems to bill itself as an epic adventure in the trailer, but it's actually just an arena game.  And the multiplayer is more the focus than the single-player which sounds relatively boring.  Since I'm more of a single-player gamer than a multiplayer gamer...

Well, I'll leave it around.  It doesn't irritate me.

(Incidentally, this is why I don't want to buy every Indie Box.)

11. SUNLESS SEA

A survival exploration game with a dark atmosphere and a seafaring basis.  Apparently has curious secrets to discover.

This game features permadeath, and there's a mechanic to pass things onto the next playthrough, but apparently it needs to be unlocked first.

Seems pretty nice, but I'm not itching for it.  I think I'll throw it on the wishlist.

12. Finding Teddy 2

This game looks...really up my alley.

It's a metroidvania game that really goes all in on the dropping the player in and letting 'em figure it out.  That sense of exploration.  Seems most reviewers liked it but some didn't.  Lots of comparisons to Zelda 2 for some reason.  Also a music-based spell system, a la Ocarina of Time or Aquaria.

Wishlisting this.  I shoved it up to #6 of 68 games on my wishlist.  That's the highest a Discovery Queue item has ever gone for me.

Today's card count: 3/3.  Good night!
    THREE-IN-ONE SPECIAL

SET ONE

1. The Stanley Parable

I'm already aware what this is, so I'll just let it sit arond.

2. Kingdom

For some reason I think that this would work better in an isometric perspective rather than a 2D sidescrolling perspective.

3. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend

As much as I love the fact that Asami Imai sings BlazBlue music and voices one of the characters, I still don't play fighting games.

4. Saints Row IV: Game of the Century Edition

Not my kind of game.

I appreciate the affectionately no-holds-barred parodical humor though.

5. MechWarrior Online

This is an f2p game.  I find myself rather disliking f2p games for some reason.  Even before I consider their genre.

Maybe it's because I have a different expectation of them.  (Expectation as in "what I think it'll do", rather than "what I want it to do".)  For normal pay-once games I expect a fulfilling experience from the game, but from f2p games I expect something that simply tries to keep me spending money for as long as possible.

Anyway, this doesn't annoy me as much as the typical FPS game, but I still can't find anything that appeals to me in this game.

Also turn down that FOV already.  At least there's stuff at the edges to make it less annoying.

6. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

I'm already not very interested in Hotline Miami, and I'll get to that first.

7. Roguelands

Stop using the word "rogue" in the title of procedurally generated games.  Yes, I know you're inspired by the roguelike genre.  Still, this is the functional analogue of "64" or "Advance" or "Super" on everything.  Anyway...

For some reason some of the art in this game reminds me of Iji.  The character spritework seems to be rather small, though, and not very detailed.

It's also Early Access, so I won't be jumping on board now anyway.

I wanna say I'll keep it around but I feel like I just don't feel it.  It just feels like Terraria but with more hostiles.

I'm sorry, but Not Interested.

8. D4: Dark Dreams Do't Die -Season One-

Yeah, I know, this is a Japanese game.  Still not my sort of game, being cinematic, horror, and with quick-time events.  Country of origin doesn't matter to me.

9. NBA 2K16

I haven't had a non-sports racing game yet so far I think.

Well, I'm not into sports games based on real teams.

10. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation

My opinion on Neptunia has not yet changed.  Please try again later.

11. Rogue Legacy

I already have this on GOG.

I'll leave it around since it's a decent, though arguably not perfect and somewhat irritating, game.

12. Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension

A mythologically-based turn-based strategy game.  I don't know if I'll ever play this, but it looks rather interesting.

Props on having a trailer vid that actually explains the game and its mechanics.  I'm actually pretty engrossed by this video, and am sad that it ends before the game actually starts.

SET TWO

1. Saints Row: Gat out of Hell

As quite amusing and funny as the trailers are, still not my cup of tea.

2. NOT A HERO

Gory platformer run-and-gun with overtones of political humor.

Whatever.

3. Out There Somewhere

I like this.  I just hope that the puzzles aren't too irritating.

Next.

4. Brawlhalla

I've seen this game before.  It's basically a non-branded Smash Bros.

Free to play and Early Access currently.

I'm not actually into Smash but I could see this being possibly interesting.

5. GOCCO OF WAR

I've looked into this before.  Looks kinda fun.

6. Super Time Force Ultra

The graphics look kinda cluttered when there are explosions.  I'm not sold on this.  Even less sold based on you having 1 HP and having to rewind time to work within a time limit.

7. Valiant Hearts: The Great War / Soldats Inconnus: Mémoires de la Grande Guerre

The art style of this looked weird at first, but the trailer sold it.  I see Ubisoft does some interesting things.  Unfortunately this is a Uplay title.

I learned my lesson when I wishlisted the Uplay title Child of Light and someone actually bought it for me.  Not doing that again.

8. Sakura Clicker

Two very strong reasons for this to get the unfuck out of my queue.

9. Robocraft

Free-to-play Early Access MMO that's about multiplayer and building robotic contraptions with lots of customizations.  Basically lots of stuff that alone I would feel okay with alone but not as "that's all there is".

10. Galactic Civilizations III

I'm getting increasingly tired of running into games that could be interesting to me but I don't want to get interested in because I still have a backlog.

Okay, fine, I'll go find out what this game is.

The idea of a 4X game appeals to me at a basic level.  I don't know how willing I'd be to actually learning this game though.

I'm just...not in the mood for it.

11. Rivals of Aether

This looks like a Smash clone, but just one with more of an original sense of style than Brawlhalla.

It looks like it could be fun but I'm not climbing on board yet, partly because I'm not that much into Smash and partly because it's still Early Access.

FYI for me to get on board with Early Access requires that I really, really, really like a game.  To me, Early Access is not a trial period; it is an investment.

Also apparently one of my queue items didn't count so I basically have 13 items this queue.

12. Endless Legend

More 4X.  Fantasy setting this time.

I'll figure it out later.

And also apparently Civilization is a 4X game.  I thought AoE is?

13. Oh hey, it's just Gocco of War again.  Steam did dun goofed.

SET THREE

1. Downwell

I look at this and imagine/expect a metroidvania but instead apparently it's just a linear procedurally-generated action game.

Ehh.  I guess I might like it.  Depends.  Not getting it now though.

2. Fran Bow

Curious game.  I usuallyi don't like gory horror but this seems like it's thoughtfully presented.  I'll keep it around.

3. Door Kickers

So is this, like, a more realistically-themed and (hopefully) easier version of Frozen Synapse?

It looks more playable, though the theming doesn't interest me much.  Whatever, I'll be generous.  Next.

4. Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

So apparently this is something similar to Fallout.  I think I'm gonna mess around with FO1 and FO2 first.

5. Stonehearth

Early Access Survival and City Builder game, with a voxel style.

Once again, sandbox games just aren't really my thing.

6. Shadowrun: Hong Kong

This series's aesthetic style seems decent, though I have no idea what its story style is and I dont' really care to find out right now.  Moving on.

7. Ashes of the Singularity

"Massive-scale RTS", currently in Early Access.

Seems to have really admirable design goals.  But it's not for me now, and I don't think it's ever going to be for me.

8. Geometry Dash

You'd think I'd like this because this is a platformer, but this looks like a combination of The Impossible Game and BIT.TRIP RUNNER, neither of which I much like.

9. Wurm Unlimited

Apparently a fantasy MMO's standalone form that has a single-player mode and a server mode.  Also has sandbox gameplay.  Not for me.

10. Skullgirls

I'm already well aware of this game, and I don't really have an interest in getting it.  Again, I'm not into fighting games.  If someone's gonna get it for me, they will.  Meanwhile, I'm not interested in it.

No, anime-style female protagonists doesn't automagically make it worth my money.

11. DreadOut

This seems like a pretty well-done horror game.  Almost makes me want to get it.

12. Super Crate Box

Apparently free.  Apparently an arena fighter with relatively low-res sprite art.

Not my thing right now but I could see myself idly enjoying it.  Later.

I oughta start trading for a set and just get this over with.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-28 08:53:13
    I don't know what's more amusing -- the fact that I recognized Sakura Clicker, that I recognized it specifically from a guy who's LPing Ys games fucking around whilst likely drunk and playing it on a Beatmania controller for lulz, or that the game somehow has "Very Positive" reviews right now.

Oh wait, that last one isn't amusing, it's horrifying.
    1. Audiosurf 2

I've got Audiosurf 1, not playet it yet.  Next.

2. Planetbase

City-building in space.  Resource management I guess.  Next.

Looks like Steam's login is goofing again.

3. Mount Your Friends

It is a fun game because you get to pretend you're gay when you're not actually gay.

Anyway, not interested.

4. FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD

STOP NAMING YOUR GAMES WITH ALL CAPS

And I'll decide on this one later.  It looks potentially interesting but I've also been skeptical of Squenix's releases.  Next.

5. Octodad: Dadliest Catch

Never been a fan of Octodad.  Not interested.

6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

I just realized I've seen the trailer before.

It's a game that lets players pretend to be battle-hardened soldiers.

I'm only going to be interested if someone convinces me that the game actually encourages its players to act like battle-hardened soldiers, rather than jackasses dicking around.

7. The Age of Decadence

Why do people like the term "hardcore" so much.  It just screams "edgy" to me.

Anyway, this seems to be a WRPG that's less about fantasy and more about politics and diplomacy.

I gotta say, I really like how the devs wrote a whole essay on what their game is about, and even cautioned people that they might not like the game and suggested that they try before they buy even if it sounds like their type of game.  If nothing else, it probably contributes to the "very positive" rating by reducing the number of dissatisfied players.

I could see myself being interested in this.  If I had fewer games on my backlog, this would go on my wishlist...well actually I could just throw it there and not buy it yet, I guess.

Incidentally, if you look at the reviews for this game, you'll notice how so many of them are well-written -- much more than for some other games.  It's a good way to tell that the playerbase is serious and actually mature -- not just mature in a "blood and tits" way but mature in a "knows how to be serious" way.  The more I think about this the more I like the game, I'll be honest.

8. Dreamfall Chapters

This looks interesting but I'm not too interested getting it now.  Next.

9. FTL: Faster Than Light

Well, it was inevitable that more of my GOG library would show up on Steam.

I also have a Steam key from a bundle somewhere.  No, I'm not going to use it just to make a queue item go away.

Next.

10. Mordheim: City of the Damned

I think I've run across this game before but the trailers also look unfamiliar.

The constantly shifting perspective in the first trailer is ANNOYING.

Second trailer is much better because (1) it describes gameplay and (2) it shows gameplay.

See this is one of those cases where the first trailer turned me off and the second trailer got me to reconsider it.

In conclusion, fuck cinematics.

...wait, where was I?  Oh, right.  Well, the game looks vaguely interesting, but it also looks vaguely like I wouldn't enjoy looking at it.

I'll keep it around I guess.

11. Renowned Explorers: International Society

I was just about to complain about the needless subtitle, but then I notied this game being paired with the game known as "Reus".

The idea seems interesting.  But it also feels like, just like any roguelike, it would take a lot of time to learn the features.

It's inoffensive enough to keep it around though.

12. Rake

Gordon Davis is a pseudoscientist if he studies paranormal phenomena.  Though, then again, in a video game world where such phenomena actually occur...

This looks like it is well designed, even if it is not my sort of thing.  But, sorry to say, I'm not interested.

card 1 of 3 get

1. FINAL FANTASY XIII

I was just telling someone that I've been mildly interested in the game, and then wondering if I should wait for a remake.

Of recent FF games, I've actually been somewhat interested in 12 and 13.  Of course, 13's first installment is also the one that gets panned for being a 20-hour walking-simulator.  Still, though, it'd be interesting to find out what this game is like.

I'm not sure if I can run this game.  On one hand, the required specs are really low -- NVidia GeForce 8 series seems to be anywhere from 8100 (passmark score 85) to 8800 (passmark score 760), and my Intel HD 4400 is in the 500s.  On the other hand the recommended specs are way high -- a 460 (passmark score 2645).  Seems like I actually might be able to do, and the only thing is that it won't look like a movie.  Well I actually don't mind that.  I only mind if it plays like a movie.

Let's just wishlist this already then.  I've made a stupid purchase of this sort before, and that was Hydrophobia: Prophecy.

2. Legend of Grimrock 2

This is that grid-based-but-fully-animated dungeon crawler right?

It's getting next'd until I play the first one.

3. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut

This looks like a Torchlight-like game...I guess that's what the "western action RPG" is.

It seems to have a number of gameplay modes.  I guess that's a plus.

Nothing really stands out here as making me want to play it though.  Not interested.

4. LGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga

This could be amusing.  Next.

5. The Sims 3

Doesn't this require Origin or something?  Apparently not?

Still got a ton of DLC though.

Also not really a Sims person myself.  Not interested.

6. 1001 Spikes

A Nicalis game.

This seems like a fun game.  I don't know much about it so I'll keep it low on my wishlist though.

7. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons requires a controller to play

That's not good.

It looks like a nice game, but I can't say I want it.  Next.

8. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution

Is this a tactical RPG Naruto game?

No?  Then I'm not interested.

9. Evoland 2

I haven't played the first one yet.

10. Half-Life Deathmatch: Source

It's multiplayer only.  No thanks.

11. Ben and Ed

Normally I'm not a fan of zombie games, but this seems endearing and amusing.  The gameplay isn't quite fully my thing, but I guess I can keep it around.

12. King's Quest

This is apparently a reboot of the King's Quest franchise.  Despite sharing the name, it is not a remake of the first game or such.

It looks nice. I guess.

card 2 of 3 get

1. FINAL FANTASY VII

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT YOUR GAME NAMES.

On one hand, it's FFVII. On the other hand, it's FFVII.

Next.

2. Alice: Madness Returns

Curiously interesting, despite it being horror.  I'll leave it be.

3. Her Story

This looks interesting.  Next.

4. STAR WARS - Knights of the Old Republic

YES I KNOW THAT KotOR IS A STAR WARS GAME, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT.

I'm not actually all that interested in the Star Wars universe, and I've got other WRPGs stacked up.  Sorry.  I know it's got a great reputation, but that doesn't change my personal preference.

5. The Isle

Early Access Open World Survival, again?

Choppy dinosaurs, by the looks of the trailer.

That said, looks like it's all dinos in this game.  No humans.  That is at least a refreshing change.

Hmm...I get to play as a lizard sneaking around.  This actually sounds more fun than I first thought it'd be.

It says they expect "Human/Dinosaur Body Painting" to be a feature in the future, but I really hope they don't add humans.

I'll keep it around.

I don't hate it anymore.  Not yet at least.

6. Epic Battle Fantasy 4

I'm actually not much of a fan of these parody JRPG things.  Not interested.  I actually prefer my JRPGs to be serious things, and I don't have the sense of humor that'd appreciate "video game references [at least the way I expect them to be made in this game], immature humor, and anime boobs".

Also the trailer is kinda lame.

7. ibb & obb

An interesting game.  The concept reminds me of Verge.

I actually kinda like it and am curious.

I might pick it up in a bundle.

8. CLANNAD

STOP SHOUTING

also stop drawing those mouths so darn high

It's the famous visual novel.

I'm not currently interested and it's quite pricey.  I know VN often cost that much, but I'm not much of a VN fan.  I still feel that VN storytelling is hit-and-miss for me, and I'm certainly not going to jump into this.  Maybe I could watch the anime adaptation first?

Should I keep it around?  Yeah I guess I will.

9. PONCHO

Hey, is Delve Interactive's jingle one of the Freecom Planet sound effects?

Anyway, this looks like a foreground/background game, sorta like Mutant Mudds and Xeodreifter.

That mechanic is not by itself a dealmaker (or a dealbreaker) but this game does seem to have some very nice art, and possibly decent music.  The layer-switching seems a bit more disorienting than in Mutant Mudds though.

I think I'll wishlist it.  Seems like a recent release (Nov. 3, 2015) so I might have to wait a while before I pick it up though.

10. DARK SOULS II

STOP SHOUTING

Also, Dark Souls 1 comes before this.

Wait, this is the 32-bit version of Dark Souls 2.  lol they're listed separately

11. The Swapper

I actually have this game already.  Let me dig up the key.

Key redeemed.  Moving on.

12. Master Spy

Hey, I just noticed, "This game is in your discovery queue because it has positive user reviews."

Well, this is certainly interesting.  A fast-paced stealth platformer.

I wonder why the screen is always bowed out like that.  Faux-retro look?

I might like this but on the other hand I might dislike it because it might just be all about precise timing...

And Steam, I want to see that one negative review, despite its being in another language.  Google Translate is a thing, y'know.

Well, I'll...know about this game and just leave it be.  It's on my radar.

card 3 of 3 get
  • edited 2015-12-29 07:09:28
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
    LEGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga
    We had the first LEGO Star Wars game on PC way back when, and later got Complete Saga on the Wii. It's pretty fun.

I also have a Steam key from a bundle somewhere.  No, I'm not going to use it just to make a queue item go away.

That reminds me, I still have a spare Contraption Maker gift copy to get rid of (at some point, everyone who had an Early Access copy got a second copy). Not particularly valuable for trading, unfortunately.
  • And also apparently Civilization is a 4X game.  I thought AoE is?
    I'm not sure how either of those would be mutually exclusive.
    More like two separate questions, actually.  I haven't played Civ (I have Civ 5 though) so I didn't know what it's like.  On the other hand, I do know what AoE is like so I'm wondering whether that's a 4X game.
  • edited 2015-12-29 17:58:19
    I've only played one game from each series but they're pretty different since Civ is turn-based and each mission or whatever covers every era of recorded history with the map representing the whole planet while AOE is real-time and does not take you through millenia of human history continuously.
  • I tend to think of 4X as implying turn-based. I don't really know what "4X" means other than "like Civilization" though.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    There is some implication of the resource gathering and game economy having a big importance. But yeah, that's still "like Civ".
  • The major differences are that Civilization is turn-based, much less focused on combat (in terms of unit and base/city management) and moreso on economy, diplomacy, research (and culture), etc.

I know AoE was inspired by Civilization, but still they're drastically different games.
  • edited 2015-12-29 20:14:19
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Yeah, speaking of genres I always saw it as an RTS. Now that I checked some examples it looks like some RTSes are made to resemble Civ, but they're still pretty far from the gameplay experience I'd associate with 4Xes.

That said, I can think of some examples where all marks but turn-based gameplay are kept, but it's real-time with an active pause and there's very little of an RTS's typical combat micromanagement.

4X means explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate, right?  That's basically what goes on in AoE too.  It's just real-time rather than turn-based.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah, but it also basically goes on in Starcraft.
    1. Apotheon

The art style makes me think of Guacamelee and Aztaka, and the cutscenes in Never Alone.

I think I like this.  Wishlisting.

2. Contagion

Zombie survival co-op FPS.  First trailer is entirely cinematic.  Second trailer describes gameplay.

Why does that smartphone look so distorted.

You can guess what my opinion is of zombie FPS games.

3. Layers of Fear

A first person horror adventure into Brauner's castle a fancy house, with lots of weird effects.  Interesting.

this is where you go to learn BLOOD ART TECHNIQUE!!! and make A PAINTING OF YOUR SOUL!!!, where I'LL MAKE YOU MY MASTERPIECE!!!

Early Access game, so not a wishlisting yet, but it looks nice enough to keep around.

4. Hand of Fate

Deck-based game x dungeon-drawler?

Seems okay.

5. Goat Simulator

I'm aware of this.

Not really my thing so I'm not going to pick it up, other than as a gift.  It's amusing, but still.

6. GRAV

I'm starting to get a knee-jerk reaction when reading the word "sandbox".  Even when it's spelled "sand box".

Looks decent, but it's an Early Access Survival Open World game (again), and it has Mixed reviews.  The negative reviews specifically talk about poor execution of the game's design, making grinding boring.  No thanks.  I liked the whimsicalness of the trailers but ehh.

7. Survivalist

Survival zombie open-world RPG.

No thanks.

8. Rising World

"Open-world sandbox game", also Early Access.  Apparently decent?

This game is amazing! A over realistic Minecraft! Harvest like never before! Cut down trees. They fall like they would in the real world! Cook meat on a grill! You can actually put the meat on the grate anywhere you want! So realistic! OMG! The best survival game I've ever played!

I'm not even sure whether this is sarcastic or actual praise.

9. FINAL FANTASY VIII

The music and the story are the only two things that make me kinda interested in the game.  I've heard the gameplay isn't great, and it's also widely panned by people who enjoyed the pre-VII FF games.

I guess I won't throw it overboard because Uematsu writes good music.

10. Shadow Warrior

First person melee combat, gore, and excessive use of katanas.

nah

11. Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure

Scribblenauts seems fun, and while I don't know much about this specific game, I'll keep it around.

12. Surgeon Simulator 2013

I'm aware of this already.  A rather amusing sort of simulator.  Apparently I can take the role of Medic in TF2, too.  I'm not that much into simulators though, sorry.

Card 1 of 3 get.

1. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Is this the game wherein Homura turns the world into the real world?  Wait...

Part of the plot premise reminds me of Iji.

Anyway, the game looks decent, but I'm not sold on wanting it.  I like the setting premise though.

2. La Tale

An MMORPG.  The aesthetic doesn't even much interest me, even if it does use the anime style.  (I can totally expect this one cute girl character to be a damsel in distress, etc..)

I'll play Elsword before this.  And I already don't much like MMORPGs.

The only element that grabs me is the platforming, but Elsword is also a platformer anyway.

3. Sonic Generations

I'm kinda aware of this.

I've never actually been a huge Sonic fan, despite owning a Sonic t-shirt in my youth.  That said, I hear this is a great game.  Let's keep it around.

4. TRANSFORMERS: Devastation

A Transformers fighting game.  Never was a Transformers fan, and while I don't hate it, I'm not going to jump on board for this.

5. Mercenary Kings

Contra but with more to do like upgradeable weapons and stuff.  I haven't played Metal Slug, but this looks like that too.  The music sounds convincing too.  I want this on my wishlist.

Apparently a drawback is that it's a bit grindy.  I think I can stomach that, assuming I get the game cheap enough.

6. FINAL FANTASY III

Do I have to decide on this?

I don't want to buy this because I kinda like the NES version more but I haven't actually played this version so I can't legitly say that.  Next.

7. Dungeon Defenders II

I have DD1.  Playing that first.  Later.

Oh wait, it's an Early Access game.  Even more later.

8. Hammerwatch

Top-down action dungeon-crawler.  Looks like my sort of thing.

Seems like there are various complaints about multiplayer requiring port-forwarding (or Hamachi, presumably) as opposed to using Steam's multiplayer system, but whatever.

Another apparent drawback is that it's a bit repetitive.  I think I can stomach that if I get this on the cheap.  Wishlisted.

9. ZOMBI

Tags: Zombies, Survival, Action, Survival Horror, Gore, ...

Mixed reviews too.

10. Sakura Angels

This series puts the "hell" in "angel".

(Spanish is required to get this pun.)

11. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

First, this is a pre-purchase, which means I'm not getting it yet.

Possibly interesting.  Next.

12. Project Zomboid

The only distinction of this open world zombie survival game is its perspective.

Card 2 of 3 get.
  • FF8 is...different.  It gets a lot of criticism from people who fanboyed 4/6/7, but is pretty decent as long as you come into it knowing it's a pretty big departure.
  • edited 2015-12-30 04:01:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    1. FINAL FANTASY VI

STOP SHOUTING

And I guess this showing up was inevitable too.

As I've mentioned before I'm passing on this because I have some problems with the visuals as they are.  If only they just used the original sprite art I'd like it better.

2. Grandia II Anniversary Edition

Another great choice, but not yet.  I didn't grow up with the PS1 JRPGs so I am not hugely familiar with this series.

And if I do get it I'd rather get it on GOG.

3. NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3

No.

4. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition

What is the Devil May Cry series about anyway?  It's actually something I've never actually figured out.  3D action arena brawler apparently.

I'm not especially interested in it.  The character designs aren't to my liking either.

5. Chroma Squad

I'm not certain I'll personally like this game myself, but it certainly looks creative and interesting, and I know someone who might fall in love with it.  Gonna tell him and then Next.

6. Neverwinter

Gonna play NWN2 first.  That said, it being a f2p MMO doesn't make it likely I'll enjoy this.

7. Bloody Trapland

Multiplayer Super Happy Meat Friends?

Not my thing.

8. Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

There aren't many Youtube videogame commentators that I enjoy, but AVGN is arguably one of them -- and the only one with that "rag on stuff" style that I like, in part because he does it reasonably in my opinion.  The spouting of expletives, for what I've seen of him, truly does give way to actually meaningful commentary when it counts.

Still, though, I can't say I'm interested in playing this game as it is.  The humor isn't my style of humor, even if I do enjoy it from time to time.

But I'll let it stick around since I don't hate AVGN.

9. Spooky's House of Jump Scares

A scary horror game about an unscary haunted house?  Or something?

Looks vaguely interesting.

10. Descent: Underground

A six-degrees-of-freedom FPS.  The concept seems neat.  Not sure how much it's my thing, but I'll keep it around.

11. Transformice

Seems like a strange but fun idea -- an MMO where one person plays god and everyone else plays hapless idiot trying to survive but very possibly ruining everything for everyone else.

Fun fact: Despite showing off Tux in the trailer, the game isn't available for Linux.  Bummer.

Unfortunately it seems that the community might be made of trolls at the present time.  Which is sad.

12. Let the Cat in

Is this the right approach to dealing with troll mice?

Anyway, this is a puzzle game.  The trailer is appropriately whimsical and amusing, but I don't think this is my sort of gameplay.

That said, it seems that some troll mice (or possibly troll humans) have gotten to the tags; among them are "Dating Sim" and "Post-apocalyptic".

Card 3 of 3 get.
  • edited 2015-12-30 11:20:22

What is the Devil May Cry series about anyway?  It's actually something I've never actually figured out. 

Based on comments I've seen online, it's something like this.
  • It's a 3D action adventure beat-em-up-ish with stylized combat, like ^ but with demons.
  • edited 2015-12-30 18:45:49
    Those were demons in that scene, though.

(It was a rhetorical question...)

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut

I've yet to play the first.  later.

2. Freestyle2: Street Basketball

Despite it being f2p and sports, I can't hate it, because it actually looks pretty stylish and fun.

The multiplayer might be shit though if one doesn't bring one's friends.  I guess this is in-character for it being a street thing?

3. Ziggurat

This is FPS and Roguelike again, and ugh...wait, it actually looks pretty fun.  Fast-paced and exciting combat.

Let's be generous and wishlist this thing.

4. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition

Fighting game, superheroes.  Again, I don't hate them but they're like very definitely not my thing.

5. Medieval Engineers

Early Access Sandbox again, but...this actually looks like an interesting structural engineering physics sim.

I wouldn't have much patience to play with it myself, nor the processing power to make this actually happen on my computer, but I can see its appeal and I think it's pretty cool.

6. Turbo Dismount

Crash Test Dummy Simulator.  Wheeeeee~

Not my thing but looks fun.

7. Miscreated

Miscreated is a multiplayer online hardcore survival game set in a post-apocalyptic future. You will need to survive against mutants, players, and even mother nature herself.

Nuff said.  Also, Early Access.

8. Deadpool

I appreciate the self-aware humor, but it's not my style.

Also, the bouncy castle is better.

9. SAMURAI WARRIORS 4-II

Not really my thing either.

10. Outlast

Some first-person zombie horror thing.  Apparently one of the zombies has an attitude.

I can see it's an atmospheric horror thing.

Also, decrease that FOV already; it's already giving me a headache.

Those red barrels are supposed to be flying, by the way.

11. Missing Translation

A curious game.

12. METAL SLUG

Already have MS3, later.

1/3

1. Far Cry 3

No.

Moar liek RATED IM for IMMATURE amirite lololololol

2. The Legend of Korra

Interesting that it's now possible make a game that looks like a cartoon.

I'm still seeing silly things like mechs making threat poses though.

Also, I'm not quite a fan of PlatinumGames's focus on action and stylish fights.  Not saying they aren't good at what they do -- they are -- just that it's not the kind of thing that'll sell me on a game.

Still, I guess this isn't as irritating as Bayonetta.

3. Craft The World

This looks like Terraria.  Even the font looks like Terraria.  Not that I mind that by itself though.

I don't think I'd personally enjoy this game but I guess it could be decent.

4. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

This looks like an interesting game.

Wanna turn down that FOV though.

5. Westerado: Double Barreled

The pixel art is iffy, but the concept seems pretty well done, and I like the idea that you can pull out your gun even in the middle of a conversation, and people's reactions may be different because of it.

I'll keep it around.

6. The Wolf Among Us

Probably a decent game because it's a Telltale Games series.

7. Among the Sleep

ugh that FOV is giving me headaches just looking at the trailer

why do horror games like giving me headaches with the FOV

8. Empire TV Tycoon

TV/movie studio sim.  Interesting.

9. Murdered: Soul Suspect

A murder mystery where you are a ghost and try to unravel your own murder.  This is an interesting premise, and it is nicely cinematically presented but with clues.  Wishlisted.

10. A Bird Story

From the creator of To The Moon, what I think is an "artsy" story adventure, also apparently made in RPG Maker.  Looks nice and probably has decent music.  Wishlisted.

11. Teeworlds

The free-to-play multiplayer aspect makes me worried about the playerbase these days.  The reviews, however, suggest that this game -- despite being a 2007 release -- somehow still has a playerbase.  It apparently is free and open-source, and also requires only 10 MB of space...wow.  And it's apparently quite good.

I'll think about it.

12. Hotline Miami

I know what this is and I'm vaguely interested in it, but not enough to want to pick it up.  So, no.

2/3

1. Xenonauts

Looks like a large-scale strategy sim game.  Seems like a good thing, though not really my sort of game.

2. Folk Tale

The only reason I have Banished on my wishlist is because Banished promises that I can enjoy it at an entirely leisurely pace.

3. MASSIVE CHALICE

I dunno why, but I'm not really feeling it from this game.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of going through these day after day, 36 a day.

4. Fay Cry 3 - Blood Dragon

Nah.

5. POSTAL 2

Very nah.

6. 12 is Better Than 6

Okay, fine.
    12. 12 is Better Than 6

The stealth element of this game makes me interested.

The aesthetic is certainly unique, though i'm not too sure how well it works.

Wishlisting.

7. Nyan Cat: Lost In Space

It doesn't even have the Nyan Cat theme I think.

8. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Nah.

9. Victor Vran ARPG

Nothing really seems all that compelling to me about this game.

Possibly interesting but I'm not feeling the love now at least.

10. There Was A Caveman

The sprite art is serviceable, and the action seems decent.  I'll wishlist it and pick it up somewhere other than Steam when it's cheap.

11. Guns, Gore & Cannoli

Seems like it has nice voicwork.  Too gory for my taste.  Possibly fun though I'm not picking it up myself.

12. Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad

No.

3/3
    Let's try doing this faster today.

1. Hero Siege: Possible interest.  Next.
    2. Grow Home: Possible interest.  Is that a dodo bird?  Next.
    3. Game Dev Tycoon: I hear this game lets you get shafted by piracy.  Possible interest.  Next.
    4. Sector Zero: Assuming the map is static, this looks kinda like a survival metroidvania with no weapons.  Possible interest.  Also not out yet: "because it is new on Steam."  Next.
    5. MURI: This game strongly reminds me of Duke Nukem 1, but with better controls.  It's by the dev of Iji.  Wishlisting at 20/83.
    6. Offspring Fling!: Looks nice, though puzzle games aren't hugely my thing.  Developer also made Verge; I recognize the switches.  Next.
    7. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments: Murder mystery game, apparently in point&click format.  Possible interest.  Next.
    8. Super House of Dead Ninjas: The second game in this queue to imitate SNES boxart.  Possible interest but less than Offspring Fling!.  Next.
    9. DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round: A Dead Or Alive fighting game apparently.  Not interested.
    10. Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: Possible interest.  Would get on GOG instead.  Next.
    11. They Bleed Pixels: I've considered this a few times.  Platforming challenges a la IWBTG or SMeatB apparently.  "will not run on a thirty year old 286" lol.  Possible interest.  Next.
    12. Mute Crimson+: Similar to above but seemingly with larger sprites, possibly more forgiving platforming, and fewer colors.  Possible interest.  Next.

1/3

1. Fable Anniversary: Western RPG.  A famous one that contains choice paths, or something like that.  I don't remember.  Next.
    2. The Crew: A "driving MMO"?  Anyway, I didn't expect to like this but the exploration aspect does sorta interest me.  On the other hand, the competitive aspect doesn't.  Regardless, I can't run this.  Later.
    3. Noitu Love 2: Devolution: I'm aware of this game already.  Have thought of it.  Originally wrote it off because I wasn't used to WASD + mouse controls for a platformer.  Though a hundred plus hours of Terraria and some other games later, I think I can handle it.  Not jumping on board just yet though.  Wishlisting at 49/84.
    4. Luckslinger: A curious idea: luck as a collectible, usable resource.  Set in a spaghetti western setting.  Let's throw it on the wishlist, at position 61/85.
    5. Valdis Story: Abyssal City: Already have via GOG.  Next.
    6. Super Meat Boy: Don't like the art style, the platforming challenges leave me unenthused.  Not interested.
    7. LOVE: Interesting platformer.  Wishlisting at 48/86.
    8. Volgarr the Viking: Possible interest.  Next.
    9. SEEP Universe: Possible interest.  Next.
    10. Overture: Nice music, but the gameplay area feels a bit cluttered with effects.  Possible interest.  Next.
    11. UBERMOSH: Kinda looks fun but the "beat your score" mechanic isn't my favorite.  Possible interest.  Next.
    12. Nidhogg: Fencing, plus a mockery of fencing, plus...a giant worm.  Possible interest.  Next.

2/3

1. Dungeons 2: Dungeon management.  I think I was once curious about Dungeon Keeper.  Possible interest; next.
    2. Batman: Arkham Origins: The Batman games are highly regarded, but I don't think I'm really all that interested in this sort of open-world cinematic game.  (I wonder if this is related to my opinion about how movies should look more like videogames rather than videogames looking more like movies.)  Not interested.
    3. Eden Star :: Destroy - Build - Protect: Early Access Survival Open World FPS, again.  This time it's Space and seems to have a bit of Tower Defense gameplay.  Doesn't offend me that much, but still nah.
    4. Kholat: Interesting inspiration for a horror game; I'd never heard of the Dyatlov Pass Incident before.  Possible interest; next.
    5. One Finger Death Punch: Not a fan of this over-the-top style.
    6. Straima: I'm...iffy about this one.  The gameplay features look cluttered and I'm not sure I like the aesthetic either.  Not interested.
    7. Escape Goat: I've seen this before, and I think it's interesting, even if I'm not great with puzzle games.  Possible interest; next.
    8. LUFTRAUSERS: I'm aware of this already.  Possible interest; next.
    9. Electronic Super Joy: Another hard platformer type.  Not quite my thing but possibly interested; next.
    10. Void and Meddler: Possible interest.  Next.
    11. ENYO Arcade: Very possible interest.  Wishlisted at 30/87.
    12. Assault Android Cactus: I've seen this before.  I think it is pretty cool.  Wishlisted at 28/88.

3/3 and we're done.
    For a free 100 XP badge, go to the Steam store page for Ikaruga, type in "search" in the search box, press enter, and when a page query pops up, type in "1v7531".  If you do this fast enough, you should get a "Red Herring" badge.

Apparently this sale is an ARG (alternate reality game) and this is one of the pieces.

This might only work in Chrome/Chromium browsers.
  • The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm
    I can confirm it didn't work in Pale Moon at least; it worked after I logged in via Chrome.
  • Didn't work in the default Steam UI.  Had to log in from a browser.
    Apparently this link might be a shortcut that does the same thing: http://store.steampowered.com/actions/d3708146fc0c5d593