If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dune as directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky

edited 2012-05-13 01:45:20 in General

In 1974, from the guy who directed El Topo. Fourteen hours long, starring Orson Welles, Salvador Dali, David Carradine and Mick Jagger. Music by Pink Floyd. Art designs by H.R. Giger and Jean Giraud.

WHY DIDN'T THIS MOVIE HAPPEN?!!

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

That would have been fantastically weird.

• because we cannot have nice things.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

How many fourteen-hour-long movies do you think will ever turn a profit?

• Here's what Jodorowsky himself said about the project:

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky/

I like this sequence in particular:

To conceive this final sequence of transmutation of the matter, I was likely to come into contact with true alchemists... Mysterious beings (one of them seemed to be more than one hundred of years, advanced age which however enabled him to move with an energy of young teenager) which approached me because Dune could be a philosopher stone

For the "guerrilla" war that Paul and Fremen carries out against the imperial army, I had been lucky to contact a guerrilla expert from South America... He had fought in Bolivia, Chile, Peru and Center-America... His invaluable experience brought to the scenario a martial reality...

My son Brontis, who was to play Paul, was initiated at nine years of age by a legendary bodyguard - Jean-Pierre Vigneau - to the combat with the knife (of real engagements), karate, the art of archery... He received lessons from an almost true mentat - Michel de Roisin - who had an encyclopaedic brain... I remember to have seen him give to Brontis a lesson on the fable the Cicada and the Ant which lasted more than fifteen days... Through the verses, he described a whole time and its civilizations.

• edited 2012-05-13 14:12:01
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

^^ Sure, it probably would have been a fantastic arthouse movie, but it would get so little recognition that you'd probably never hear about it, not to mention that it'd been a pain in the ass to watch AND to show. Considering that, back in 1974, there was no home video, it'd be impossible to air in full either on the TV or the cinema and would have to be split in parts, essentially becoming a miniseries.

• Well, one of the released adaptations was a miniseries.

• You can change. You can.

I think it's important to remember that back in 1974, movies like 2001 and Andy Warhol's Chelsea Girls (The pretentious hipster crap that we film majors oh so love) were making turning a decent profit at the box office

I'm aware that neither of those movies were released on '74, but they're illustrative examples rather than...actual...examples i guess