If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I had to turn down an offer of admission

edited 2012-04-20 14:49:24 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

and it even had a scholarship, and the department was clearly interested in my joining them.

Well, it had to be done, as I was admitted to more than once place.  Still... :(

Comments

• You can change. You can.

why didn't you turn down the other thing?

• edited 2012-04-20 15:12:06
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Better funding and a research center I wanted to work with.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I know that feel, bro (I think most of us do).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It's one thing to just fill out a form saying I decline and send it back.

It's another thing to compose an e-mail to a nice, friendly person I just met yesterday, saying I really enjoyed meeting them but I am sorry to decline their offer.

Hmm. I guess so.
  • Well, this is the good kind of thing.  Better than not getting accepted.  :)

I take it this is for grad school or somesuch?

Yes.

• edited 2012-04-20 19:03:38
    Loser

glennmagusharvey,

Congratulations, not many people are fortunate enough to have to make that kind of choice. I guess it can be sort of annoying to have to turn people down who clearly want you there though.

Aww, thanks!

Well, turning people down does make me feel bad when I think, y'know, what could I contribute if I went to that place/worked with that person/joined that organization/participated in that program/etc..

Though I feel that there was a certain topic I really wanted to study, and they didn't have it.  I'm not sure how practical it is to find a job for that topic, but at least I know my heart is in it.

• Well, remember that they have to deal with a lot of people turning them down.  They're used to it.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

As Louie said, I must give you full congratulations. The fact that you have had at least two such excellent offers says a lot in your favour, and while it is sad to have to turn one down, if the other one is better for you, then you should go for it.

Yeah, I forgot to extend my congratulations. Either way, you still have a great offer in front of you. Best of luck!

• GMH - Yes, congratulations!

It's probably not worth getting worked up about what might have been. If you do that, it stops you making any decisions because the alternative might have been better.