If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Assumptions about mac users and windows users

edited 2012-01-31 15:34:55 in General
Rurr.

The snooty mac users make the non-snooty ones look bad, and then some people see you using a mac and just assume you think you're all that, then treat you accordingly. It's even worse when the snobby Mac users and the defensively snobby Windows users go around telling people who use both to pick one and stick with it, even though it's really none of their business.

It's just kind of annoying and dumb. I expected more from grown adults, really. What's so bad about liking to use both?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Using both is pretty inefficient.

• edited 2012-01-31 15:44:37
    Rurr.

Well, the reason I use both is because I had to get a mac laptop for school (they required it for art), but my parents had a Windows-running computer. So I just learned to use both. 

Also, I use the Windows to film Sims 2 videos (EA only converted a few of the Sims games for mac, so I never bothered buying extra copies of the game), then edit them on imovie in the mac. Using both was more like an adaptation.

• edited 2012-01-31 16:32:37
    a little muffled

Eh, they both suck, Windows sucks less due to not being made by Apple.

• Linux user master race

• a little muffled

Linux doesn't suck, in theory.

• In practice, every distro sucks.  (Rolling your own sucks too.)

• It is a very strange experience indeed when you have a laptop and there is also a communal family desktop that your parents use, and the laptop was bought in the spring of '06 and the desktop dated all the way back to '01 or something...and both are Dells running XP...and both manage to last, barely, to summer 2009. Whereupon they are replaced by a 13" MacBook Pro (the hot new thing at the time) and the also newish iMac, respectively.

That, folks, was my family's situation. We were treating our Dells well and we had bought them in a time when Apple hadn't quite yet broken through to their current status because they didn't have the Intel processors. My dad wouldn't have dared to buy a Mac before that.

But now that they were powerful enough, the OS X ease of use was quite appealing, as was the lack of stupid bloatware inherent in most PCs. None of us intended to engage in PC gaming, nor did expandability matter anymore. And besides, the MacBook was one of the sleekest and lightest mainstream laptops of the time, which as a college-bound student I totally saw the value of. I had never taken my old Inspiron 600m anywhere because it was too clunky.

And so we became Mac users not out of snobbishness or any one specific need/priority. We really didn't see any reason not to. Just as a decade-ish before, we wouldn't have seen any reason to get one. Common sense of the times.

No one's really judged me for my choice of computer yet. But if they did, I wish there was a faster way to tell my story. And I don't judge PC users. Why would I? I feel the conflict between the two is blown way out of proportion, and I don't know enough about computers to have an advanced opinion either way.

• edited 2012-02-01 15:30:37
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I do have two questions.

1. How is OS X easier to use, especially if you're used to a Windows style interface?

2. It's generally pretty easy to kill bloatware when you first get your laptop.  So why choose a more expensive Mac compared to a less expensive but otherwise equivalent Windows computer?

1. It depends. Apple's vaunted ease-of-use mainly comes from the fact that the old Mac OS of the 1980s and 1990s was well-thought out, consistent, and easy to pick up quickly. A lot of that doesn't apply to Windows users, especially Windows users that have been at it a while; they're familiar with computers in general, and may even scoff at the limitations OS X has by default (though they're not nearly as bad as Mac OS 9 was). In that case, the Mac's main draw has been from people who are sick of being sysadmins and want to use their applications in peace; OS X needs less tending than XP did, you don't have to worry about viruses or trojans as much, and the packaged applications are actually useful.

While Windows 7 has fixed a lot of things, there's an appeal to the Mac that some people still find attractive; it's really just a matter of preference now.

2. These days, it's because it's the only legitimate way to get OS X and the iApps. The hardware is standard (if high-end) PC hardware and is available more cheaply elsewhere, but like Sony back in the 1980s and 1990s, style is everything to Apple, and MacBooks certainly look impressive. That and I'm sure there are people that find OS X fascinating (I know I did back in the 2000s).