If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I am the only person on the internet...

edited 2011-09-18 15:30:28 in Webspace
[tɕagɛn]
...Who assumes that people are telling the truth at first. I assume people are not telling the truth only after analyzing what they said and determining for myself.

Why does everyone else have the "assume everyone is lying" mindset

Comments

• I assume people are telling the truth at first.

So no.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't assume people are lying unless I have an actual reason to.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I disagree with your notion, for I am sure people assume truth or falsehood depending on the circumstance.
  • edited 2011-09-18 15:34:19
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT

• I share INUH's stance.
  • I'm usually somewhat apprehensive, but I never think people are outright lying without reason.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Doesn't this kind of clash with your whole super-paranoia-everyone-is-making-fun-of-me-even-when-they're-not thing?
  • edited 2011-09-18 16:04:20

"I am the only person on the internet..."

Persecution complex. Do you know what that is?

Also:

"Actually, given that this is DA, it's probably good to assume that, yes, they did lie."

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Oh this is going to be a fun day...
  • I assume people are telling what they believe to be the truth. There may be some distance between that and actual truth, but I don't think most people tell flat-out lies about significant stuff. They might pretend to be better at some video game than they are, but they won't generally pretend to be dying of cancer to get sympathy.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ What he said.
  • You can change. You can.
    Problems in this thread, by Juan Carlos
    An essay on why this thread is failing from the beginning:

> I am the only person on the internet...

The interet my friend, is vast and majestuous. Full of incredibly varied wildlife and big data forests, deserts and the like. Implying that you're the only one who possesses a certain characteristic is a show of a lack of awareness of this.

> Who assumes that people are telling the truth at first.

The fact that most of the people here assume a somewhat optimiscal approach when it comes to the internet says otherwise.

Also, yesterday we had a thread where everyone seriously thought that a dude wanted to masturbate alongside his son. And you posted in it. Your argument is invalid, child. 

Everything else in your post is rather superfluous so I won't touch it.

Thank you kindly for your time, good sir. I didn't mean to take it away from you. I'll give it back to you one of these days. 
  • ""Actually, given that this is DA, it's probably good to assume that, yes, they did lie."

"Also, yesterday we had a thread where everyone seriously thought that a dude wanted to masturbate alongside his son. And you posted in it. Your argument is invalid, child."

Given the nature of those two things, it is reasonable to assume lying in that case.

Seriously people. I didn't mean that I was gullible.
    Given the nature of those two things, it is reasonable to assume lying in that case.

It's reasonable to assume they were lying, but we had a bunch of posters who did not assume so (Remember the whole "Is AHR creepy thing?" yesterday?)
  • Well, for me, it was reasonable to assume/hope that they were lying.

I'm talking about when someone on the internet brings up something and then everybody immediately goes "UR LYIN".
  • Well, to them, it is reasonable to assume they are lying.
    bla, my point is simply that you're not alone on your beliefs (On this matter, that is)

And well, most of the time it's people askig for some sort of comfirmatin (Pics or it didn't happen, anyone?)
  • a little muffled
    Didn't you say like a week ago that you don't trust anyone?
  • "Didn't you say like a week ago that you don't trust anyone?"

When they're making demands of me/I make demands of them.

When I'm a passive observer, I'm a little more optimistic.
  • No rainbow star
    I assume everyone is truthfully lying about a lying truth that they lied about truthfully while truthfully telling a lie
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I assume that people are telling the truth unless they have a reason to not tell the truth, a reason I may or may not know about.

In other words, I keep in mind that they might be lying in order to avoid being blindsided.
  • I am the only person on the internet...
    The answer to this statement is no for all but the most specific continuations.

...Who assumes that people are telling the truth at first.
    Not at all, assuming good faith is a very common mindset. In fact, there were several problems in TV Tropes due to people believing plausible but improbably stuff.

And given that this thread is stupid, it might as well turn into a discussion about our own stances regarding what you can and what you can't believe in the internet. As for myself, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, and assume that most people are telling the truth, even when what they say is unlikely (within reasonable bounds, of course), unless there are reasons to assume they're lying (inconsistencies in what they say, a history of their word not being trustworthy, etc.).
  • $80+ per session
    I used to trust people on the internet more than I do now.

Ever since the untrustful things I did on sites like TVT tropes, I try to be more honest with people and just hope they do the same.
    My stance is simply: "Truth unless proven otherwise"

Of course, prove is probably not the best word as my standard for something being disproven on the internet is basically "Too inconsistent" or "It comes from someone who tends to lie" or "It's too farfetched"
  • I just assume things are true. I mean, if they are then who cares, and if they aren't then I got deceived by the text of a faceless internet person in the world of mostly unproveable statements.

• I assume most people mean what they say.
    I'm bi

there you go, you can now be forever happy
  • edited 2011-09-19 10:36:35
    Belief
    No, Now you're just lieing, seeing as how you said a long time ago, and continued for a long time that you're straight.
    welp, at least you didn't roll with it. 

--hands well-earned cookie--
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    LOLWUT.