If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How everyone else's schools have such lenient internet.

edited 2011-09-16 16:47:11 in General
[tɕagɛn]

Can someone please explain to me why literally every other person I meet on the internet has such lenient internet filters?

I'm mystified as to how others can play games, browse whatever they want, and other shit, and my school is worse than The Party. It's really starting to piss me off, because, in general, the schools here in Texas FUCKING SUCK compared to everyone else's schools. What the fuck.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Aren't you in high school?

Things get way more lax when you're in college.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    See, the thing about college is that a lot of people live here. They can't restrict sites just on the basis that you shouldn't watch them during the school day. The only thing my school actually blocks is torrenting.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    So that's how it is, My college blocks youtube, but there aren't dorms.
    The only thing my college cares about is torrents. And even then they don't actually block it. They just give you a fine if they catch you.
  • They're somethin' else.
    High School's do that sort of thing. College usually doesn't.
  • Eu*, I keep forgetting that I'm usually one of the few high schoolers on a forum.

*: A wierd ass sound I make sometimes IRL that means "Oh yeah/Dammit" depending on context.

• When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    We didn't need to know what noises you make. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Could you not just have said 'Oh yeah'?
  • It's something I say so often in real life it sometimes slips through when I'm typing.

And then I was bored and felt like keeping it in.

• "We didn't need to know what noises you make. "

Because someone having an odd tic truly is a tragedy, kids.

*Not serious

You know no one would've minded if you didn't go out of your way to point it out.
  • You can change. You can.
    Bluh, not this again.

Look, Chagen does this kinda thing all the thing (An annoying tic, a weird expression) and we derail about him doing this things again, and again. 

By now, I'm starting to wonder why don't we just ignore these things and let him be him. Really. who cares.
  • Anyway, as has been said already, high schools are going to be extremely restrictive on internet use because anyone using the internet is doing so during a time in which they are (supposedly) meant to be learning.  If you're in college though, especially if it's a school that has on-campus housing, they're not going to implement filters like that because people live there and use the internet for non-education reasons.  As for my school, torrenting is officially against the rules and you'll get your internet disabled and receive a fine, but as far as I know that only happens if the school receives a complaint from their ISP/a copyright holder.  And aside from that there aren't any restrictions on internet usage, other than possibly a restriction on excessive bandwidth usage, though I dunno about that for sure.
  • a little muffled
    Well, my high school doesn't have many if any restrictions either, so it's not just a postsecondary thing.
  • I am no expert on school internet filters, but I feel like the only ones that sound annoying are those that limit legitimate research/school activity because of overly broad censoring (like banning websites that have the word "game" in them or restricting access to Wikipedia or art sites). Given how classes in high school and below are scheduled in the U.S., it seems like a waste of time to me to be doing much else besides schoolwork online there.

Juan_Carlos,
    By now, I'm starting to wonder why don't we just ignore these things and let him be him.

I think that sounds like a good idea. I am not really a fan of derailing a thread to be about a specific poster rather than discussing his or her posts in the thread itself. Otherwise I think people get stuck on silly things a lot of time and make things unnecessarily personal.
  • Oh, jeegus. Does your school's filter let you anywhere near any webcomics?

If so, then you really have no excuse to whine.