If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

(almost) all the things I don't like, and why

edited 2011-09-11 00:36:34 in General
no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
Pen n' Paper RPGs - A good argument for why designing games around multiplayer fails: If you don't live in an area with good players/GMs then these games are worthless. Nevermind that you're paying money for rulebooks that essentially just tell you how to play make-believe, something I've always done just fine without rules. Mecha anime - Except for maybe Mazinkaiser, these seem kind of repetitive, and honestly I find "look at how cool my vehicle is!" kind of boring. SWAT Kats - Actually for the same reason as Mecha anime--after a couple of episodes I wondered if these two ever do anything without that jet. Dune novels - I loved the Frank Herbert ones as a kid, but nowadays the attempts to be deep and philosophical come off as laughable to me. I could never get into the Brian Herbert/KJA ones at all. Hannibal Lecter novels - Again loved these as a kid, but nowadays they're a poster child for what's wrong with American novels that aren't authored by Tom Clancy or Erle Stanley Gardner: all the characters are two-dimensional, they're either whiny all the time or angry all the time and nobody comes off as an actual human being you could get behind. And Lecter himself is just kind of silly from an adult perspective (keep in mind, I've never read Hannibal Rising--by that point I was too old for these books). Record of Lodoss War - The. Worst. Anime. Ever. It watches like they basically adapted their D&D game into an anime without an attempt to add any depth to the characters (especially Deedlit, whose sole personality trait is trying to get down Parn's pants) or flesh out the plot. It's funny that the American D&D cartoon which was made by people who had largely never played the game turned out far better. Gradius games - Actually I love these things, I'm just putting this here to see whose paying attention. Tekkaman Blade - Another contender for worst anime ever. It's basically like Marvel Comics made an anime: it starts out interesting, but instead of giving us actual compelling drama, they just crank the angst up and hope that suffices, and by the last disc you just want the show to hurry up and fucking end. Kudos for having blink-or-you'll-miss-it cameos from the original Space Knight Tekkaman (which was actually a decent series) though. Comic books - Because none of the characters, universes or plotlines are compelling enough to be worth spending hundreds of man-hours (not to mention dollars) scouring eBay for back issues, and the graphic novel collections are way overpriced and often leave a lot to be desired. PC Gaming - First you have to work around compatibility issues, then you have to work around whatever DRM they put on the disc, then you have to tweak the settings so the game runs optimally... granted, there are some pretty awesome PC games out there (practically all of them are by companies that are long dead, like Origin and Sierra) but the headaches make them almost not worth it when you can game just by slipping in a cartridge or a disc and powering up a console. Children - Don't let anime lie to you: Children are not cute or sexy. Often, they're annoying, gross, and near impossible to communicate with on any meaningful level. There, now I should never have an excuse to make an IJBM topic ever again!... Maybe!

Comments

• I read an Evangelion/Lodoss War crossover fic once. Shiris, Deedlit, and Shinji all get paired together, and at one point, he bones a horse, too.
  • So that's where that came from...
  • They're somethin' else.
    WHY U TALKIN SHIT ON GRAHDEEUS, BRO
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I read an Evangelion/Lodoss War crossover fic once. Shiris, Deedlit, and Shinji all get paired together, and at one point, he bones a horse, too.

I was tempted to ask if the horse was Uni, then I remembered Uni is from the good D&D cartoon.
    Also, what of Lodoss War do you not like? The OVA, anime, or manga?
  • Here's the kicker, though: the author used said horse-boning to illustrate a philosophical point. See, according to the author, bestiality is considered morally acceptable in the world of Lodoss, whereas using inanimate objects for sex like dildos is seen as disgusting, so the contrast between Shinji's world and the Lodoss world is used to illustrate a point about sexual morality.
  • If only there were some other way of illustrating that point that doesn't involve someone fucking an animal.
  • edited 2011-09-11 00:51:35
    no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    @Schitzo - Mostly the OVA. I'm not as familiar with the other versions.

@Bob -
    If only there were some other way of illustrating that point that doesn't involve someone fucking an animal.

Funniest damn thing I've read yet!
  • edited 2011-09-11 00:58:09
    Stuff like this is why I love the Internet. I'm not even saying that in a mean or ironic sense, either.

Also, as an addendum, I was reading these fics back in middle school. Go me.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Malk: I'm on a slow connection. I only have access to a fast connection maybe once or twice a week. So I CAN'T WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS.

Sorry to have to snap but responses that consist entirely of Youtube video links get annoying for that very reason. They're like seeing a message that's been pre-thumped. So if you have something to tell me, just effing say it. Text loads much faster.
  • ^^^^Er, thanks?

^Woah, calm down.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Except you don't have to snap.  You could just politely say that you aren't able to see youtube videos, and the point would be gotten across without sounding like a jerk.

If you don't live in an area with good players/GMs then these games are worthless.
    If you buy the books when you don't have anyone to play with, that's kind of your fault. 
    Nevermind that you're paying money for rulebooks that essentially just
    tell you how to play make-believe, something I've always done just fine
    without rules.
    For something like D&D, unless you have the exact right group of people, you need at least some rules in place so it doesn't turn into "That monster hit you!"  "Nuh uh, it missed!" etc, etc.

Gradius games - Actually I love these things, I'm just putting this here to see whose paying attention.
    oh u
    Children - Don't let anime lie to you: Children are not cute or
    sexy. Often, they're annoying, gross, and near impossible to
    communicate with on any meaningful level.
    I like kids.  Anime has nothing to do with it.
    I like the OVA's animation, and it somehow reminds me of Star Wars. God knows why.

But yeah, not the best story it can tell.
  • edited 2011-09-11 02:03:44
    HOW DARE YOU SLANDER THE GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE

Seriously, though, people play on PC because PC gamers tend to get patches the quickest. Also, mods can quadruple a game's lifespan.
    Also, mods can quadruple a game's lifespan.

Which is why we're all still playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers to this day!
  • "Children are not cute or sexy."

That's the first thing you thought of?

With all due respect to Ian:

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    I approve.
  • edited 2011-09-11 11:33:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    @MoeDantes > Pen n' Paper RPGs - A good argument for why designing games
    around multiplayer fails: If you don't live in an area with good
    players/GMs then these games are worthless. Nevermind that you're
    paying money for rulebooks that essentially just tell you how to play
    make-believe, something I've always done just fine without rules.
    @Forzare > If you buy the books when you don't have anyone to play with, that's kind of your fault.
    @Forzare > For something like D&D, unless you have the exact right group of
    people, you need at least some rules in place so it doesn't turn into
    "That monster hit you!"  "Nuh uh, it missed!" etc, etc.

What Everest said.  Basically, tabletop (a.k.a. pen-and-paper) RPGs spread mainly by social contact and word of mouth, and if you were a TRPG company that required your customers to actually each own copies of at least basic sourcebooks before playing, you'd be out of business in no time.  And also what Everest said; make-believe needs some sort of rules-based standardization to prevent stupid arguments between different people about how stuff happens.

@MoeDantes > Record of Lodoss War - The. Worst. Anime. Ever. It watches
    like they basically adapted their D&D game into an anime without an
    attempt to add any depth to the characters (especially Deedlit, whose
    sole personality trait is trying to get down Parn's pants) or flesh out
    the plot. It's funny that the American D&D cartoon which was made
    by people who had largely never played the game turned out far better.

I agree that Deedlit seemed a bit annoying at times, but then again she's a highly plot-significant element herself so that partly justified it.

I've seen just the first series, and didn't find it that annoying.  Maybe it's because I enjoyed the music and general epicness, while glossing over the slowness and "no duh"-ness of some parts.

@MoeDantes < An apple core - I'm leaving this here just to see if MoeDantes will shoot it.

@MoeDantes > PC Gaming

Yeah, my experience with PC gaming has a huge gap between some older Sierra games (The Even More Incredible Machine, EcoQuest: the Search for Cetus) and getting Steam a year or so ago.  Between those two, pretty much the only "traditional" PC gaming that I did was play Age of Empires 2 and a tiny bit of Worms World Party.  Apart from that it was all freeware and emulation.

@MoeDantes > Children - Don't let anime lie to you: Children are not cute or
    sexy. Often, they're annoying, gross, and near impossible to
    communicate with on any meaningful level.

Eureka Seven's children FTW.  Possibly the three most irritating and non-cute children in all of animé.
  • edited 2011-09-11 11:31:10
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >>Everest

:(
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ACH DAMNIT
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Wait, that was an actual mistake?

I thought you were just joking.

>:
  • -dies of laughter-
    make-believe needs some sort of rules-based standardization to prevent stupid arguments between different people about how stuff happens.

Maybe it does, but not enough standardization to require 200+ pages of rules.

An apple core - I'm leaving this here just to see if MoeDantes will shoot it.

*shoots it*

That's the first thing you thought of?

With all due respect to Ian:

you are a kiddy fiddler.image

Wait a minute. I'm a kiddy-fiddler because I don't think children are sexy? Like, what's the line of reasoning there? Am I gonna need tylenol?
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    The Paedofinder General basically thinks everyone is a pedophile.
    If you think just denying Paedophilia is enough to make you innocent you are sadly mistaken.
    (You really should see the youtube of all the Paedofinder General sketches.)
  • Wait a minute. I'm a kiddy-fiddler because I don't think children are sexy?

I think the implication is that you're a paedophile because you assume that the media is trying to trick people into thinking children are sexy, or you think fictional children are sexy while real children are not.

Not that I believe that about you.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Heck, he has Moe right in his name, and as we all know, only PEDOPHILES like Moe things!

...I think that's about right for Paedofinder General logic
    ^
    Yup.

Looks like an open and shut case against him.
    So dealing with Pedofinder is a lot like sitting through the second half of The Vision of Escaflowne -- I need to be sure to pack painkillers.

Gotcha.