If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What happened to Ally McBeal?

edited 2011-03-15 14:10:37 in General
It used to be one of the biggest things on television back in the late 90's, in the same league as American Idol or House is today. Now it's almost completely forgotten, only remembered because Futurama made fun of it once.

What happened? If the show truly sucked, we'd be mocking it, not forgetting it existed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    What happened to what now?
  • Maybe it faded not because it sucked, but because it had run it's course, people eventually lost interest and moved on.

Then again, I never watched it, so my opinion's probably not worth shit.
  • edited 2011-02-14 02:03:02
    That can't be it. Look at Twin Peaks. Same situation, only it lasted for just 2 seasons and a shitty movie. People actually remember it.

^^ Wacky sitcom about a single female lawyer.
  • Twin Peaks? Wha?

So, Single Female Lawyer was a parody of Ally McBeal? That's what it was? Huh, why did I think it was a Will And Grace type thing?
  • I thought it was like the "Clarissa Explains it All" deal.
  • I remember this when I was a kid.

^ I remember that too.

• That can't be it. Look at Twin Peaks. Same situation, only it lasted for just 2 seasons and a shitty movie. People actually remember it.

You can't really compare them, since Ally McBeal is Live Action and Twin Peaks is an anime. Also, I was under the impression that Twin Peaks didn't quite have the same popularity of the other shows mentioned, after all, it got cancelled after two seasons, I thought it was more of a "cult classic" thing, that tends to be remembered longer.

• ^ I have absolutely no idea how tongue-in-cheek you're being there.
  • I get that a lot.
  • know but this one takes the cake.
  • edited 2011-02-14 22:00:49
    Twin Peaks was just as popular while it was on. David Lynch was forced to basically wrap up the main storyline midway through Season 2, and viewership hit rock bottom because of it.
  • Ally McBeal was super-popular? Really? I could just Google this but I'd rather remain skeptical.
  • Tongue in mouth, bebe
  • ^^ It was the second most popular show on Fox.