If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

People who make a big deal about what "art" or "true art" is

edited 2011-07-10 19:59:03 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
You know what, I have the best definition.  It's called "whatever you want it to be".

Everything is art, nothing is art, and everything is simultaneously art and not art.

As for that deviantArt picture of a mouse pointer and MacOS buttons: if you look closely enough, you'll see a painting of a typewriter and some typewriter-font letters.

Comments

• GEE WHO CAUSED THIS THREAD.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    TOO SOON
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    This is probably just a tad soon, GMH.
  • Just pretend he didn't mention the deviantArt picture, then.

"You know what, I have the best definition. It's called "whatever you want it to be"."

But whatever you want it to be isn't necessarily what someone else likes.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    But if it's whatever said person wants it to be, then it will always be what said person likes.

And if said person also declares that art is "whatever you want it to be", saying this to all people other than 'emself, then it will always be what each one of those people other than this first person wants it to be, and thus always whatever each one of those people other than this first person likes.
  • edited 2011-07-10 20:16:11
    Yeah...that's a bit too individualistic of a definition for me, considering I see art as something shared.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    But the definition is technically the same for everyone!

...technically.
  • What did cause this?
  • Check the first locked thread you find on the front page.
  • edited 2011-07-10 20:24:08

Oh.

Well in any case, inkblot's post here:

>Wow. Considering TV Tropes' pages on "True Art", you'd think everyone would be agreeing with Chagen.

QFT.

• edited 2011-07-10 20:32:56
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    This page hurts my brain the most out of the True Art ones.
  • edited 2011-07-10 20:36:53
    ^ I'm more confused by the fact that that page implies that Cardcaptor Sakura is angsty.

Pro tip: It's not.
  • We are anti-intellectualism for pedophiles, you know.
  • edited 2011-07-10 20:39:37

^^Well now, that makes the entry an example of itself.

Why do people on TvTropes consistently miss the point of articles like this in the examples?

• Why do people on TvTropes consistently miss the point of articles like this in the examples?

Because it's an unnecessarily huge wall of text that could be entirely replaced by this one sentence from it:

This trope is reserved for those who somehow find happy moments less respectable than angsty ones.
  • But that's not interesting to read.
  • You can change. You can.
    I liked the True Art tropes more when we just cared for inuniverse examples.

...OK, this means I never liked them, but I'd liked them if we did.
  • edited 2011-07-10 20:44:21
    ^^ Apparently neither is the current article, considering how many of the people who added examples evidently didn't actually read it.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Oh hey guy's sorry to be gone so long I fixed my iTunes problem and everything so what's u

-looks at DeviantArt thread-

On-topic, art is subjective. So anybody claiming to know what art is, or holding one standard of art above another, is a liar at best. 
  • Modern art is bullshit.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2011-07-10 20:58:04
    Mostly I don't care that much, but it bugs me immensely when convincing pretentious buttwads of the deeper intellectual meaning of random shit becomes a viable and respected career involving the transferrance of exceedingly large sums of money.
    ^^ That is subjective. People have different opinions on different things. You can look at a plain white canvas with a single red dot and call bullshit; it may help lift a man in Albuquerque out of clinical depression.

This is why I hate music debates.  
  • ^That's a terrible example because it doesn't show how such a scenario would be possible.

Tangentially related to this thread, from TvTropes's True Art Is Angsty page:

"In a true Truth in Television moment, this trope could be related to psychological research which indicates that the greater measurable intelligence a person has, the more likely they are to have a mental disorder which would lead them to perceive life as sadder, darker, and more depressing. Which could explain the above attitudes somewhat, even though logically one should recognize that true art can also be joyous (such as a Vivaldi string piece or a beautiful landscape)."

[citation needed]

• edited 2011-07-10 20:57:45
    You know, as much as I hate people who seemingly denounce art altogether, from reading art debates, I can see where they can get the idea that art is bullshit.
  • edited 2011-07-10 20:59:57
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ I know. It's just hyperbole. 

A more reasonable example is somebody like me listening to Funeral and rediscovering life's true beauty in it by a means that allowed me to prevent suicide. Another person might listen to it and say "meh." It's subjective. 

^ loltrue
  • ...Okay, what did I miss?
  • edited 2011-07-10 21:17:04
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ Find the first locked thread on the page.

Oh, and Vivi's banned until August.
  • ...The fuck.
    My reaction too.

By the way, welcome back.