If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

There are no serious western cartoons meant for mature audiences

edited 2011-04-10 23:33:45 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
(Want a serious IJBM thread?  Here we go.)

So we all know about the Animation Age Ghetto.  We all know that here in the States (and probably in other western countries), people think of cartoons as the purview of little kids.  In a start contrast to Japan, where cartoons are used for, like, every genre of story and setting, alongside live-action.

Now, this is changing.  We've had The Simpsons for many years, but starting in recent years we had a rise of non-kiddie western cartoons--King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, and various stuff on Adult Swim (such as Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Venture Brothers).

But all of these shows are comedy of some sort.  With or without coherent story, they're there to mock, satirize, parody, and otherwise make us laugh at the subject matter at hand.

When will we finally see some animated shows and movies from the west that present teens-and-above subject matter in a serious manner?  (i.e. drama rather than comedy)

One thing that bugs me about this is how the live-action industry basically has a stranglehold on teens-and-above drama series.  And because it's much harder to do all sorts of weird fantastic stuff with special effects on real actors than it is to do it in animation, you get a lot less creativity in U.S. television series, especially when it comes to setting.  So many shows are about police investigations, working in an office, living in an apartment, dating and relationships, and such.

The only animated western thing that I can think of that isn't comedy but is adult-oriented is the Yellow Submarine movie.

Put it another way: a common sequence of events in Japan is that a manga series gets published, achieves significant success, and then gets made into an animated series.  Well, similarly, we have things like superhero comics (which, despite the name "comic", are drama-oriented stories, as you know), but what happens when you adapt them to a moving-picture format?  The either become kiddie cartoons (think Batman: the Animated Series, and such), or they become live-action movies (think The Dark Knight and such).  There are no animated Spider-Man, Superman, or Batman feature films.

This bugs me.

Comments

• Avatar the airbender was the closest we got to it. But it was still targeted at kids.

Avatar would have been way better if it were a serious story and not some kids show.
  • Superhero cartoon adaptations seemed pretty dramatic to me from what I remember (well, alongside the campier ones). Beast Wars was also similarly drama-oriented.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    One of the few directors that bothered even to make animation that adults could enjoy was Ralph Bakshi.  Much of his work is a mixed bag.  One of my favorite movies from him I've seen is Fire and Ice.  It's like an animated Conan movie with large hams.  At least, the Dark Wolf was a badass character.
  • edited 2011-04-10 23:49:45
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    See, while I do enjoy looking to animé to satisfy my desire for visual storytelling interesting settings and plots, I am not sure if I count as an animé fan.  I feel no special attachment to Japan at all, and I do not go OMFG for sushi/sashimi/ramen/katanas/kimonos/gratuitousJapanese/etc..  I also don't share many traits of the fandom, such as tastes for cosplay, the moë aesthetic, or desire to learn Japanese.  In fact, I tend to be less interested in series that have a lot to do with Japanese culture, and am most drawn to culture-neutral content.

But, in the face of criticism for being an animé fan, I must ask: What's the western analogue to Noir?  What's the western analogue to Kiddy Grade?  What's the western analogue to Eureka Seven?

The most I can point to is the western analogue of Studio Ghibli, which is Disney.  And for what it's worth, I've been wondering if there's an animé analogue to Law & Order, which is my favorite western TV show.

Hello, western media industry, you're not helping at all!
  • edited 2011-04-10 23:51:55
    Woki mit deim Popo.
    I've been wondering if there's an Japanese analogue to Law & Order, which is my favorite western TV show.

I'm not sure.  From what I heard, most live action shows in Japan are dramas about salarymen and college students.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh, so their live-action stuff is as boring as ours.  Oh well.

Well, in the meantime I actually edited my post to say "animé analogue" rather than "Japanese analogue", for what it's worth.
  • I've been meaning to see Waltz with Bashir.
    ...which is?
  • Out of curiosity Glenn, why do you regard cartoon superhero adaptations as "kiddy"? They tend to be the most drama-oriented shows western animation has to offer, though part of that is Or So I Heard. Still, I doubt children could comprehend some of the themes.
  • edited 2011-04-10 23:59:51
    Woki mit deim Popo.
    If the Japanese fandom for American shows is anything to go by, they think their shows are considered more boring than American shows.  That's because they've been getting shows about salarymen and college students for years.  I know they love Law & Order and such.  I remember one Japanese woman's favorite all time show is Quantum Leap and she spent money to import the DVD set in English just she could enjoy it when she felt like it.
    ^^ It's meant for a preteen audience, or teens at most.  You're right, one can read further into the themes and such, and it's probably the closest thing to a serious adult cartoon show.

^ What is Quantum Leap?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Note how all "mature" toons are comedies.
    I just did.

Unless you're making some sort of joke about how "mature" and "adult" are often merely used to mean "includes sexual content", which is clearly not the meaning I'm using here.
    You also forgot Superjail.
  • Mockumentary about the 1982 Lebanon War.
  • On reflection, most mature animation is either Adult Swim comedy or not American.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice

There are things like Justice League: New Frontier and Hulk Vs., both rated PG-13. Carrying on the tradition of things like Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, which was praised by Siskel and Ebert when it came out. In a sense, sure these are "kids cartoons". But I'd wager that a lot of people watching the slightly heavier superhero cartoons, would be at least close to the same age range of those watching the anime.

Back when I was hanging out in the Sonic forums, a lot of the fans there seemed to be into the violent anime, very few of which were above drinking age. (It's also hard for me to keep track of these age gauges, since I saw Terminator 2 when I was nine but saw Princess Bride when I was eighteen. I still can't tell you whether either one is better suited for children, teenagers, or adults.)

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    This is Quantum Leap.
  • edited 2011-04-11 00:25:56
    CRIMINAL SCUM!
    "They tend to be the most drama-oriented shows western animation has to offer"

And why is it that they all have to be comic book adaptations and all of them have to be superhero themed?

Why can't I just have a nice sci fi thriller that doesn't have a shitty budget and that isn't based on Star Wars or Star Trek?
    ^ A lot of "slightly more serious/mature" western cartoons are based on comic book adaptations. Likewise, it seems that a lot of anime are based on manga themes.
  • There was a Star Gate cartoon series.  There was Sym-bionic Titan, until recently.
  • edited 2011-04-11 00:55:41
    The second season of The Big O was partially produced by Cartoon Network, I guess.  Though that probably doesn't really count.
    Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?
    ^^ Comedies. Good ones, but comedies ne'ertheless.
    Metalocalypse....wait. Humor.

...Aeon Flux?
    You know what's funny? I watched the Hulk Vs. cartoons, which aren't rated R, but they were designed as more "mature" (a bit of cursing, some blood, Lady Deathstrike rolled her eyes in pleaaasure at stabbing Wolverine), but I didn't enjoy them so much. With the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, however, it easily has the PG rating or its equivalent, and the episodes seem much more well-done to me.
  • I'd say Fritz the Cat may be what you're after.
  • edited 2011-04-11 04:46:36
    Pony Sleuth
    Persepolis? I never saw the movie, but it seemed pretty serious.

I figure it's not such a big deal since America probably produces a majority of high budget live action shit. I think there's no Japanese Firefly, Twilight Zone, Star Trek, or Scrubs. I hear it's just celebrity shit and soaps.

Although after the recent disasters I would imagine there are less "Days of our Lives" for them.
  • Silence is golden.
    There's also the HBO Spawn series and a few direct-to-dvd movies (Riddick:Dark Fury, Turok Son Of Stone, the two Dead Space movies ect), but yes, "mature" non-comedic cartoons are depressingly rare.