If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

continued lulz at twitter

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://www.cnbctv18.com/technology/meta-mulls-a-twitter-competitor-codenamed-p92-that-will-be-interoperable-with-mastodon-16142171.htm
    Meta, the parent firm of Facebook and Instagram, is hashing out a plan to build a standalone text-based content app that will support ActivityPub, the decentralised social networking protocol powering Twitter rival Mastodon and other federated apps, people familiar with the matter told Moneycontrol.

inb4 Twitter itself adds ActivityPub compatibility just to stay relevant
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/26/technology/elon-musk-twitter-value.html

Musk says the company is valued at $20B.

As a reminder, he bought it for $44B.

this is not very stonks
    twitter .com/elonmusk/status/1640502698549075972
    (breaking the link to prevent him from getting more views via embeds, but you can paste it in yourself)
    Starting April 15th, only verified accounts will be eligible to be in For You recommendations.

The is the only realistic way to address advanced AI bot swarms taking over. It is otherwise a hopeless losing battle.

Voting in polls will require verification for same reason.
    Today at 7:54 PM

Keeping in mind that the actual-verification-based feature is being discontinued, this means only paying users can vote in polls.

Which...defeats the point of making polls, unless you're only interested in what Twitter subscribers specifically are thinking.

I guess he's still salty that people voted to tell him to get lost a while back.
    New: The New York Times says it is not planning to pay for Twitter verification:

"We aren't planning to pay the monthly fee for verification of our institutional Twitter accounts," a spokesperson tells me.
    Today at 11:20 AM

Would be tens of thousands per month for “real” branded verification ($1k per brand, $50 per affiliated account). If brands don’t pay, this whole model falls apart pretty quickly revenue-wise.
    Today at 1:36 PM
  • edited 2023-03-31 21:26:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-28/twitter-s-for-you-feed-won-t-recommend-unverified-accounts-musk-says

That's not keeping people from deciding to forgo the new "verification" thing, which is basically just a paid Twitter subscription for attention.

In an internal note, Politico announced that it will not pay for Twitter Blue accounts for staff.

"In the future, a checkmark will no longer mean you are a verified journalist. Instead, it will simply mean you are paying for benefits such as longer tweets and fewer ads."
    Yesterday at 2:25 PM

LAT also won't reimburse: "Verification no longer establishes authority or credibility, instead it will only mean that someone has paid for a Twitter Blue subscription," @sarayasin told staff.
    Yesterday at 2:30 PM

FseM-3GaYAAz-Eo.png

That's @catturd2, a rather (in?)famous anonymous conservative commentator and Twitter personality who is one of the handful of accounts that Twitter has specifically been promoting. And not even he's happy with this lol

Welp guess my blue [checkmark emoji] will be gone soon cause if you know me I ain’t paying the 5. [shrug emoji]
    Today at 12:16 PM

Meanwhile, Twitter is attempting to backpedal, offering verification for free to some people: https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/twitter-business-monthly-verified-status-fee-exempt-1235569966/
    Twitter will waive the $1,000 monthly fee for its 500 largest advertising clients and for the 10,000 most-followed brands, companies and organizations that have been previously verified, the New York Times reported, citing an internal Twitter document.

Of course, this just means it undercuts the whole idea of using this to get revenue...

This article also offers this one ironic bit:
    After William Shatner complained about Twitter’s plan to rescind legacy blue check-marks unless users pay for them, Musk responded, “It’s more about treating everyone equally,” Musk tweeted Sunday evening in replying to Shatner. “There shouldn’t be a different standard for celebrities imo.” Last fall, after Stephen King also griped about Twitter’s switch to paid verification, Musk said, “We need to pay the bills somehow!”
    On another note, apparently the recommendation algorithm was posted on github by Twitter itself:

https://github.com/twitter/the-algorithm

Someone then noted the following:

oh my god. i swear to you this is real. the algorithm source code literally has a carve out just for elon’s posts
    Fsksl9fX0Akmnq3.jpg
    Today at 3:57 PM
    https://www.axios.com/2023/03/31/twitter-verification-white-house-biden-check-mark
    The White House will not pay to have its staff's official Twitter profiles continue to be verified, according to guidance issued to staffers via an email obtained by Axios.
    "It is our understanding that Twitter Blue does not provide person-level verification as a service. Thus, a blue check mark will now simply serve as a verification that the account is a paid user," White House director of digital strategy Rob Flaherty told staffers in an email sent Friday afternoon.

The article also mentions that there's apparently still a grey checkmark for government officials but it's not clear who will have access to that.

This whole thing just continues to illustrate how trying to turn verification into a revenue stream basically just broke both ideas.
    NEW: Twitter hasn’t paid thousands of dollars in charitable donations that employees made in 2022, around the time of the acquisition. The money was taken out of employee paychecks but never reached the organizations. Benevity, the third-party platform that is used to facilitate the payments, told employees Twitter hasn’t yet approved the payments. After I started asking around about this yesterday Twitter said it is “actively working” to get the money to the NGOs.
    2:50 PM · Mar 31, 2023
    Twitter has reportedly made $11 million in 3 months from users buying a Blue Check [eyes emoji] [moneybag emoji]
    Yesterday at 1:57 PM

The Des Moines Register made $53 million in subscription revenue last year.
    Today at 1:46 AM

Sorry, that’s digital subscriptions. Print subscriptions were another $121 million.

Good job Elon, you’re getting your ass kicked by a small regional newspaper
    Today at 1:51 AM
  • Verification no longer establishes [...] credibility
    This part bothers me. When the paid verification nonsense started it revealed that, for some ungodly reason, people equivocated authentication with credibility, thus taking (say) me being who I claim to be the same as me knowing about what I'm talking about and being reliable about it.
    Like a generalized version of that thing where celebrities are the spokespersons of whatever.
    This feels similar to some people thinking that HTTPS means that the website can be trusted.
  • edited 2023-04-04 02:06:28
    So, April has arrived, and the "legacy" blue checkmarks from the old verification program are...still there, for some reason. Yes, Musk/Twitter said they would be discontinued, but they haven't been.

Except for the New York Times, because Musk got mad at them specifically for not paying. https://www.thedailybeast.com/elon-musk-vengefully-kills-new-york-times-verified-twitter-checkmark

Though, even there, this wasn't even done thoroughly, as someone observed:
    FsuUsX2XoAIwVtv.jpg

Anyhow, you still have both "legacy verified" and the "new" Twitter Blue things going around. And the site simply fails to differentiate between the two:
    FsvMjTxX0AE8ZNV.jpg

I get the feeling that the announcement that the blue checkmarks on Twitter would be discontinued basically followed the strategy of making a threat that those people who had it would lose verification status if they didn't pay up. This, however, assumes that "verification status" in the form of the blue checkmark icon is actually seen as valuable. Unfortunately, due to how Twitter has used it, that icon has been severely devalued over the past several months, to the point where many major organizations and celebrities can just get away with saying they won't pay for it. Without enough actually-verified people using it, it doesn't have an air of legitimacy, which means that Twitter/Musk can't sell the "verification" label effectively as a money-maker for the site either -- which seems to be the second piece they were going for.

So basically, the idea was:
    1. The blue checkmark is considered valuable for people to show off, thanks to the legacy verification program.
    2. People will be attracted to buy it because the social value of it would rub off on them.

Both parts of this are falling apart lol.

(Let's not even consider the issue that this is basically an attempt to create an officially-sanctioned scam of sorts, where you can buy your way into making yourself look important by carrying a thing that other, important people have.)
  • When Elon took over I assumed the blue checkmark verification system would keep existing but extending it to paid users, so it'd remain the same except paid and opt in. It made sense, for better or worse that thing was valuable, and it required manpower to verify that the user belongs to the person in question. It surprised me to learn that it would then exist in a form that undermines what gave it value in the first place.
    (Let's not even consider the issue that this is basically an attempt to create an officially-sanctioned scam of sorts, where you can buy your way into making yourself look important by carrying a thing that other, important people have.)
    That's the same as conspicuous consumption elsewhere, isn't it?
    Hmm, that is an interesting thought.

And I guess it's my turn to have a realization thanks to someone else on here. Now it's time for @lrdgck to say something that causes you to have a realization, haha.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Woah, looks like Moosk really replaced the logo with a Doge.

(I can't say how epiphanic this is, but I will point out I made no promises.)
  • edited 2023-04-07 23:21:57
    Yep he sure did. Talk about silly things to do with one's brand.

Meanwhile...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2023/04/05/germany-threatens-twitter-with-50m-fine-for-failing-to-tackle-illegal-content/amp/

Basically it's getting fined for letting people use the site to post Nazi shit.

Someone pointed out that this is a small fine...because it's only four times the amount that Twitter earned from Twitter Blue subscriptions.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/chrisstokelwalker/twitter-circles-broken-nudes-leaked
    When Twitter Circles launched in August 2022, it promised users “the flexibility to choose who can see and engage with their content on a Tweet-by-Tweet basis.”

[...]

Eight months and one ownership change later, Circles’ secure functionality appears to have broken. A number of users are publicly warning those who use the feature that their supposedly secure posts — oftentimes nudes — are leaching into the main For You feed, the algorithmically driven homepage of Twitter.

And this is why you should be more careful with salacious images.
    https://mashable.com/article/intercom-drops-twitter

...due to its "exorbitant API pricing".

N.B. Intercom is a company that helps other companies do customer support, and its clients "span many industries and include companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Meta, Udemy, and H&R Block using its customer support products and services."
    Twitter finally (after a 20-day delay lol) disabled legacy Blue checkmarks.

Except then Twitter then re-implemented checkmarks for some celebs, such as Lebron James. For free.

Then regular users complained that celebs were getting them for free while they had to pay for theirs.
    Fv1gvi3X0AAp2JE.jpg

I think someone is still big mad at NPR leaving.

But, hey, if he wants to destroy the Twitter userbase to spite NPR...go ahead I guess.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Looks like Musk admitted on Twitter to censoring tweets related to Turkish presidential elections. The opposition candidate is leading in polls.
  • edited 2023-05-14 16:22:15
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I avoided this thread because I thought it would be GMH smugpoasting about Elon Musk, which it mostly is, but I guess I also want to talk about twitter sometimes.
    Then regular users complained that celebs were getting them for free while they had to pay for theirs.

I find it weird when people assume they are as important as Important People. I mean yeah, you can become an Important Person via your activities online, but it's obvious why certain people would get advantages you don't.
    censoring tweets related to Turkish presidential elections

In what direction?

Anyways certain tweets as of late seem to be getting more prominent, especially anti-Jewish stuff and some anti-gay stuff that was being blanket nuked along with other 'anti-LGBT' stuff under old policies.

I feel like we're just a bit off a timeline where even Elon realizes you actually can't just let people say anything, because even I have realized this after seeing the third image macro of a smug Jewish soyjack sending immigrants in on a conveyor belt that then "mixes" the previously pureblood races.
    Then again I recently found the obviously nonce part of gay twitter and that's running terrifyingly strong so maybe no problems get solved.

Now I wonder how smug gacek feels about his obviously prophetic "{can't remember the term now} zeal" post from a while back

ngl though the US racial crime statposting is kind of giving me life.
    In what direction?

Erdogan is a rightie populist dick running for yet another term against a coalition of liberal and left parties, so I figured it's kind of obvious by now who Muskie would side with. Here's a linky to an article on the topic: https://www.businessinsider.com/free-speech-censorship-elon-musk-throttled-tweets-turkey-presidential-election-2023-5?amp=
    I feel like we're just a bit off a timeline where even Elon realizes you actually can't just let people say anything

I've heard the "race realists" (or whatever the righties consider the politically correct term for a Neo-Nazi-lite these days) are already disappointed in him, so, yeah, that's possible. The funny thing though is that it would mean he paid all that money and squandered his public persona for a chance to make a big circle.
    image macro of a smug Jewish soyjack sending immigrants in on a conveyor belt that then "mixes" the previously pureblood races

I believe the proper term is "Happy Merchant", unless it's specifically a variant form using a Wojak derivative.
    Now I wonder how smug gacek feels about his obviously prophetic "{can't remember the term now} zeal" post from a while back

Neophyte's zeal, also not really as much as you'd expect, really.
    I avoided this thread because I thought it would be GMH smugpoasting about Elon Musk, which it mostly is, but I guess I also want to talk about twitter sometimes.
    I think I mentioned this in another post but I've mostly tried to delve less into the more overtly political controversies on Twitter, instead I've tried to focus more on Twitter making bad business decisions.
    I find it weird when people assume they are as important as Important People. I mean yeah, you can become an Important Person via your activities online, but it's obvious why certain people would get advantages you don't.
    It does make sense that celebs might need certain things such as privacy protections in ways that non-celebs don't, yeah. But my point there was about the consequences of Musk trying to make Twitter Blue a verification-for-pay scheme without the verification but with the intent to turn it into a significant revenue stream.

Pre-Musk Twitter's verification process made much more sense. Famous people would more likely be the target of impersonation so they'd get officially verified by Twitter staff. And the verified label was of value to everyone -- famous people, so they can actually be more in control of their social media presence; other Twitter users, so that they can more practically verify the information they see online; and the platform as a whole, because it's seen as a more trustworthy source of information.

Musk's changes to Twitter Blue tried to lean on the the verification label as a desirable badge of social honor in order to sell it, but without verification, and especially at the speed at which he let it decay, he basically destroyed the social value of the label, because people no longer see it as an indicator of trustworthiness that it used to be.
    I feel like we're just a bit off a timeline where even Elon realizes you actually can't just let people say anything
    I had heard from some folks recently that, in part due to the lack of content moderation on Twitter these days, you could search up "cat" or "dog" and get some very nasty animal abuse pictures quite easily.

As for the Turkish election thing: from what I understand, Twitter censored stuff on request of the Turkish government, and ironically Musk actually had a vaguely sensible reply to people complaining that he wasn't supporting free speech -- he said he'd rather let some speech get through than none at all (if Twitter as whole got blocked). That said, I heard that Jimbo Wales (of Wikipedia fame) took him to task there, pointing out that Wikipedia actually sued the Turkish government over such restrictions, in Turkish courts, and won.

As for Musk getting flak from right-wingers, I heard that his new choice of CEO (I'm pretty sure he's still gonna own the company though so it's not even like it'd be much of a change) was getting flak from (the political) left and right -- with leftists/liberals complaining about her following a bunch of right-wing accounts, and right-wingers complaining that she once headed NBC Universal, or something like that.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    so I figured it's kind of obvious by now who Muskie would side with

Well there was an NYT article about it but I was too lazy to read it but going by the fact that it was an NYT article, I guessed it would be in this direction.
    I believe the proper term is "Happy Merchant", unless it's specifically a variant form using a Wojak derivative.

Nah that's probably it.
    Neophyte's zeal, also not really as much as you'd expect, really.

Yeah I remembered about 30m ago (which is why I logged on just now).
    instead I've tried to focus more on Twitter making bad business decisions.

Elon Musk has been good at those since before he became the guy for it.
    Wikipedia actually sued the Turkish government over such restrictions, in Turkish courts, and won.

Presumably Wikipedia had a decent timeline and forethought on that, and Twitter ran into a day-of problem that needed a quick fix.
    right-wingers complaining that she once headed NBC Universal

My dear, innocent GMH.

You have no idea how mouth-foamy "associated with the WEF" makes well... RW conspiracy minded people on twitter (and wherever) melt-down. It is insane what is happening right now with respect to that (but in a funny* way, if you know where to look).

*read: sad.
    in part due to the lack of content moderation on Twitter

Funny how that turns out to have been necessary.

There are about 3 major identifiable things that are better now, but it feels like as a result about 7000 or so things have gotten worse.
    Oh whoops, I somehow misremembered World Economic Forum as NBC Universal. Should have actually checked the info in my head before posting it. And yeah that makes a lot more sense. I had a hunch NBC Universal wasn't the right name.
    https://mashable.com/article/twitter-2-hour-long-videos-twitter-blue

Twitter now allows Twitter Blue subscribers to upload 2-hour long videos.

Given that YouTube already exists and has a better user interface for watching and keeping track of videos, this seems pretty pointless...except for use cases where you don't want the videos to be easily kept track of.

By which I mean that someone already had fun.
    So, what will users do with this new feature? It appears piracy is the number one use case thus far.

One Twitter Blue subscriber immediately uploaded(opens in a new tab) the film Shrek the Third in full. They didn't even try to keep it on the down-low either, uploading it right in the replies of Elon Musk's tweet. The tweet featuring the full-length feature film garnered hundreds of thousands of impressions and tens of thousands of interactions.

Roughly an hour and a half after it was uploaded and tweeted out, Twitter finally removed the video and replaced it with a message(opens in a new tab) stating that "this media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner." It's not clear whether anyone was able to enjoy the 93-minute movie in its entirety, but it appears to have been possible.
    It seems that impersonation issues are still a problem.

A fake Bloomberg account with a Verified Blue Check on Twitter posted an apparently AI-generated picture of an explosion at the Pentagon this morning.

There was no explosion at the Pentagon, but the stock market still dipped.
    https://t.co/RCWKQwjgU1
    Twitter•Today at 11:18 AM
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    That incel meme that happened sure was gross and sad.

The manosphere needs help (and about 10% of them just need to sleep with a guy and get it over with).