If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Things that are not the same

13»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    * Yuja Wang, pianist
    * Yujia Wang, character in Assault Lily: Bouquet
  • edited 2022-01-03 21:33:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    * Bras
    * Obras
    * Oblast
    * Oh, blast!
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    * plata (lit. silver; Spanish slang for money)
    * Plachta (the talking book from Atelier Sophie)
    people who are not the same:

* Duda
    * Lula
    people who are not the same:

Chuck Robb
    Chuck Todd

animals that are not the same:

bushpig
    hedgehog
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • edited 2023-11-17 16:10:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    games that are not the same:

Astral Ascent: https://www.gog.com/en/game/astral_ascent
    Astria Ascending: https://www.gog.com/en/game/astria_ascending
  • I thought I had posted this one already:
    * Danganronpa 3
    * Danganronpa V3
    So, Lost Caverns of Ixalan, in which we go back to the world of not-Aztecs, not-conquistadores*, not-Caribbean yes-pirates, the occasional dinosaur and whatever pre-Columbian culture the Merfolk are supposed to represent. Also the clothes of the underground dudes remind me of Incan clothing, so there's that.

* Translator's note: conquistador means conqueror

* conqueror
    * conquistador

I get the notion that outside of Spanish (obviously) the name stuck as a specific subset of conqueror where instead of generic conquering you're wearing a morion helmet and are restricted to conquering people with a specific theme, not that I want to start a quarrel over it.
    i misread that as "moron helmet"
  • ^^ It's that thing in English (and some other languages maybe?) where the normal word for X in the language of place Y is taken to mean "X, but it's from Y", like how "sombrero" means the Mexican hat or "anime" means Japanese animation. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow I learn that "hussar" is the normal Polish word for cavalry.
  • edited 2023-11-27 09:02:39
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow I learn that "hussar" is the normal Polish word for cavalry.
    It's not, but it's reasonably close to Serbian for "brigand" or something like that.

Also, for what it's worth I was once surprised to discover the Polish word for cap (as in, you wear it on your head but it's not a hat) means a specific Napoleonic-era military headgear in the wider world. Which in turn is called in Polish by what seems to be the French mangled mispronounciation of the word.
  • (and some other languages maybe?)
    Conversation is related to Spanish
    "anime" means Japanese animation
    Well, that's an obvious example.
    Spanish also has "zar" meaning "tzar" meaning "caesar, but from Russia", and "sultan" too, but otherwise I feel it's done much less than in English.
    Half example: shiba inu.
    You remind me there's a breed of dog we call "dog". I guess it's because it's an English breed.
    lrdgck wrote: »
    You remind me there's a breed of dog we call "dog". I guess it's because it's an English breed.

Are you sure it's not a Mabari War Hound?
    People who are not the same:

Nana Mizuki
    Nazuna Miki
  • So after that other post I realized this fits here:

* X-COM: UFO Defense, a video game.
    * UFO: Enemy Unknown, the same but European.
    * XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the same but 2012.
    * x.com: A website.
    Memes that are not the same:
    * epic sax guy
    * sexy sax man
    The Rage of Dragons
    Rage of Bahamut
    Dmitri Kabalevsky - Clowning, Op. 27 #10
    Dmitri Kabalevsky - Clowns, Op. 39 #20
  • * To act like something: To behave in a certain way
    * To act like something: To pretend to behave in a certain way without that being the case.
  • * Silicon
    * Silicone
    * Silly cone