If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on the Spanish Language

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ¡no lances almas!

latest?cb=20140813040502
  • edited 2022-10-24 17:10:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    come to think of it i once tried to translate "Ten Dracula came and eated animals all over the forest", from this infamously hilarious fanfic, into Spanish, and I tried to do it complete with the errors of spelling and grammar

i went with a combination of "pues" and "diez" for "ten" (which is supposed to be "then")

so i had "Pies dracula vinieron y comieron los animales en todo el bosque", if I recall correctly

(in retrospect i should change this to "comeron" to reflect the improper conjugation "eated")

little did i realize back then that my choice of combination, "pies", meant that I had unwittingly created "Feet Dracula"
    spotted in the wild today:

"you could be embarrassed
    you could be embarazada"

"Don’t get embarazada practice safe sex"
  • edited 2022-10-31 06:10:24
    ¡Nadie espera la Inquisición española ¡en español!!
  • edited 2022-10-31 23:25:19
    ...how do you say "fuck around" in Spanish? Like, how should the phrase "fuck around and find out" be translated?

¿"putea y descubre"?
  • "Joder" would be the direct translation. I've only heard "putear" meaning to insult, although maybe somewhere It means something that fits.
    I'd translate It as "jode y averigua", though I'm not sure most people would get the meaning.
  • In which I use this thread again to post something I would've posted elsewhere if It weren't in Spanish:
    oh this series is cool and i get to practice reading (it's captioned) and listening to Spanish at the same time.

también, hoy aprendí: hay un instrumento "cuica"

¡creía que este sonido era de la voz!
    Marco Rubio no es rubio; es moreno.
    este pelo está volviéndose "pensamientos en el idioma español" en lugar de "pensamientos sobre el idioma español"
    Hoy aprendí:

"The Man of La Mancha" = "The Man of The Spot"

jaja
  • edited 2023-04-22 19:27:36
    I never realized. TIL just like "Monday" stems from "Moon", "lunes" stems from "Luna".
    Also, the other day I learned Guatemalans hate the "de Guatemala a Guatepeor" joke.
  • edited 2023-04-29 07:22:23
    Less of a Spanish language thing and more of a Hispanic culture thing, but the other day I learned that in some times and places if you were lent stuff during Innocent's Day you could keep it forever.
    En algunas zonas de América es importante no prestar ningún bien, sea objeto o dinero, pues el prestatario es libre de apropiarse de los bienes. Este tipo de festejo ha venido a menos en años recientes y ya no es usual que la gente pida prestado con la esperanza de que el prestador no recuerde la fecha y se le pueda hacer mofa con la muy popular frase: «Inocente palomita que te dejaste engañar» o su versión ampliada: «Inocente palomita que te dejaste engañar, sabiendo que en este día nada se puede prestar».
    A friend recently arrived in Spain from a distant time zone. Which one of these is the correct grammar for a sarcastic greeting?

(A) ¡Buenos días! y ¡disfruta el desfase horario!
    (one sentence, but set off the exclamatory statements with ¡!)

(B) ¡Buenos días! y ¡Disfruta el desfase horario!
    (treat each exclamatory statement as a separate sentence and capitalize accordingly)

(C) ¡Buenos días, y disfruta el desfase horario!
    (treat this as one sentence and use just one pair of ¡! for the whole thing)

(D) ¡Buenos días!, y ¡disfruta el desfase horario!
    (keep the comma from treating it as one sentence but still use separate ¡! pairs for each exclamatory statement)

(E) one of the above (please specify) but replace "desfase horario" with "jet lag"
    (just use the English term instead of trying to translate it)
  • Almost forgot to post. I'd go with C.
  • edited 2023-07-04 23:25:12
    The other day I realized that "hoy no fío, mañana sí" is the reverse of "mañana te pago".
    Spanish words English speakers (or at least those who play MtG) find funny for some incomprehensible reason:
    • Señor
    • Loco
    • Bandido
    Though I guess "Señor" kinda makes sense if you don't know or choose to ignore that it means stuff besides "Mister".
    ¿Por qué estas palabras?
  • Ni idea. Algo del lenguaje les parece gracioso, supongo.
    En otro orden de ideas:
  • edited 2023-07-14 19:03:00
  • edited 2023-07-29 23:01:11
    8d62750dbb437d70a2cbb76c48afd072
    lmao, the Spanish localizers may make odd choices and outright mistakes a bit too much, but they have their moments.
    https://tkz.one/@Gretoki/110844432589594853

@Stormtroper may I ask you to explain this meme?

I looked up the translation but the best I can get is that it's about the speakers predicting calls and I'm not sure what that means.
  • You got it right. It's a reference to that thing where they'd sometimes sound when there's an incoming call if not properly isolated (see the video in one of the replies).
  • edited 2023-08-08 08:16:12
    Ohhhh, that!

Ahora conozco. Gracias.

(¿"sé" o "conozco"?)
  • edited 2023-08-08 08:29:07
    De nada.
    "Conozco" está mal. "Sé" supongo que no es incorrecto pero creo que la mayoría diría más bien "Ahora entiendo".
    Which one of these is correct, and why?

"Se toma Costa Rica como un ejemplo"
    "Se toma a Costa Rica como un ejemplo"
  • Both are correct, dunno why.
    I think I'd default to the latter, but both sound okay.
    I put the sentence into Google Translate and it gives "Costa Rica is taken as an example", which is grammatically correct in English.

But this made me curious about how the "a" functions. Does it make "Costa Rica" the object of the preposition "a", and if so, what is the subject noun? If not, then how does "a" work?
  • edited 2023-11-30 02:30:23
    Hice que Keine ejecute pocos experimentos matemáticos por mí para confirmar mi hipótesis; no preguntes cómo allí terminé, pero esta pregunta permanecía como entré el pueblo (Reimu después hizo que deje, pero permitió suficiente tiempo para ejecutar el experimento... una muchacha bastante agradable si tienes algo de dinero contigo...):

Si el "9" occure entre dos otros dígitos, Cirno observará que el problema es mal escrito. Esto descubrimos en parte al preguntar que resuelva el problema 94 + 12 = ___; dijo que hicimos algo extraño con la configuración, borró el "9" al lado de el "4", y puso él a la derecha de el "4"... (el formato natural en el que una "x" estaría al lado de un coeficiente en una ecuación algebraica; después vimos que se confundió totalmente por las configuraciónes con "9" entre dos dígitos, viendo sobre nos con ojos pensados para mirar personas locas).

Luego hicimos que intente resolver la ecuación que configuró: 49 + 12 = ___.

Pidió que llenemos el otro lado de la ecuación para la después de una pausa incómoda como vio sobre nos con un rostro que dijo, "Qué esperan exactamente que haga con esta?"

Exhibimos la respuesta correcta en [el sistema] decimal para la: 49 + 12 = 61; estábamos a punto de retirarse y reanudar el programa usual de clase cuando Cirno finalmente comenzó a marcar el tablero: 49 = 61 - 12 = 48...

En este momento, si bien entendíamos que Cirno trabajó en la base 9, sentíamos la necesidad de comentar a la "cuarenta y nueve no iguala cuarenta y ocho", sobre lo que Cirno miró a nos y en un tono sorprendentemente sin rodeos dijo, "Por supuesto no iguala...pero ¿cómo se relaciona eso con esto?", desconcertando nos debido a nuestra estupidez aparente brevemente mientras la vimos CONTINUAR resolviendo el problem: 9 = 48/4 = 12.

En este momento, se volvió claro que el "9" de echo se trataba como un variable en la ecuación... y Cirno había realizado sustracción y división completamente correctamente en base 9 para hacerlo.

El número no tuvo el mismo significado por Cirno como por los demás en cuanto a su valor en el sistema decimal para representar una cantidad especifica. En lugar, asumiría, porque el número "9" se podría considerar técnicamente como una letra o un símbolo en algún tipo, que "9" es una variable por lo que ella debe resolver a través de el álgebra u otro.

(salsa fuente: https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/439608)
  • edited 2023-11-30 21:09:20
    Ahh, I remember that image, I'm the one who put that middle panel for the TVTropes page for Baka, I never knew why we had a page for the Japanese word for "idiot" but I thought the image was a good fit.
    The other day I was reading a semi-recent TVT Forum page about Troper Tales (I was looking for the pencil breaker pasta), apparently what we experienced was the "wild west" era of TVT
    Looking up Ixalan stuff, I've found an oddly high amount of people explaining the archaic pronunciation of "x" as either the Spanish "j" or the English "sh", but at the same time believing that it's a feature of modern-day Spanish (although argueably the language of reference should be Nahuatl). Somewhere out there there's a source teaching people learning obscure trivia about the language while skipping stuff you learn in the first day of Spanish class.
    Edit: Maybe it's because of the pronunciation of "México"?