If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

STOP USING SANS SERIF FONTS

edited 2022-10-23 09:58:33 in Tech
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Yes I know the irony of writing this here. Here on IJBM we have sans-serif fonts. And I don't like them either. It would probably just take a lot of work to figure out how to change them.

Anyhow, just a few days ago someone impersonated Quinnipiac's polling center by replacing the "ll" in "polling" with "II". On Twitter.

So yeah, it's not just a matter of someone pretending to be me on IJBM by calling themselves "gIennmagusharvey". (Which has happened. And I banned them.)

But, all of these issues could have been averted by SIMPLY USING SERIFFED FONTS.

At the very least, serif the capital i! I do that even in my own handwriting!

Seriously what is with web designers and graphic artists these days and their fetish for sans-serif fonts to the point where capital i and lowercase L can't be reliably distinguished.

Comments

• edited 2022-10-24 16:12:56
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    replacing the "ll" in "polling" with "II"

That's terrible (but hilarious).
    gIennmagusharvey

Glenn, but more Italiano.
    SIMPLY USING SERIFFED FONTS

You have a point. However, this is like Corporate Memphis.

The people currently responsible for beauty and utility have had their souls sucked out and replaced with anticreative insanity, a fondness for flatism, and CalTech cartoon art styles. Personally, I blame requiring degrees for art positions instead of just hiring people who can sort of draw or use photoshop. As for right now, I don't think it'll go away.

Social media has especially convinced them that visual friction is bad, so everything must be flat and make you feel nothing or you might like... not click on it maybe? Iunno.
    I do that even in my own handwriting!

I used to do this but I have this tendency to write super-fast (at the expense of legibility) so I just have very curvy ls instead.

I like Calibri a lot and use it personally when writing but I can see why you'd need non-serif fonts for more serious things like a web interface. There are nice non-serifed fonts, but maybe they all get a bad rap because of Times New Roman and it's ilk.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    There are sans-serif fonts that nevertheless serif the capital i and/or give a tail to the lowercase L or something like that. I'm using one on my phone right now. I specifically chose it to avoid this confusion.

> CalTech

I thought the usual target there was CalArts, not CalTech the engineering school.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Uh yeah, CalArts.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    gzcIiFC.jpg

Because I was ragging on Corporate Memphis but I actually do like it sometimes.