If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Potential Senate Thread

edited 2022-09-06 06:29:03 in Politics
There is love everywhere, I already know
So I was actually going to do a big post in here but then I got super distracted and it took way too long to do the research I wanted.

I did however learn that outgoing Alabama Republican Richard Shelby was one of the many Democrats who switched to the Republican party after the latter got a majority in 1994. He quit because the Democratic party was much "too liberal" for him at the time, so that's interesting.

Comments

• edited 2022-10-19 16:17:17
    Richard Shelby

State:Alabama
    Affiliation: Republican, Formerly Democrat (till 1994)
    Years In Position: 35
    Since? 1987
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer
    Politics: Moderate Republican, Fiscal Conservative
    Unique Notes: Party Switcher
    Last Notable Tweet: Happy Birthday, US Navy!
    IF2EcIQ.png
  • edited 2022-10-20 15:52:47
    Tommy Tuberville

State:Alabama
    Affiliation: Republican
    Years In Position: 1 (and a halfish)
    Since? 2020
    Occupation Before Senate: College Football Coach
    Politics: Red Republican, Controversy-Seeker, Pro-Broken-Windows, Immigration Hardliner, Party Infighter (I genuinely got all of this from his twitter), MAGA
    Unique Notes: Sports-to-Politics, Serial Retweeter, Valor Cred (...his father) Somehow he voted 'Yea' on the 'COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act' but so did everybody aside from one person apparently...?
    Last Notable Tweet: In Nevada on a campaign stop for a friend
    h2KHJ1e.png

Gosh I had to go in alphabetical order the week that Tuberville was having a moment.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What is the purpose of this thread?

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to do.
  • edited 2022-10-20 11:49:27
    Is there really no purpose in trying to learn something new? I mean, people talk about these people (usually only the top 20 or so) basically every day, so I want to at least have a random fact to bring up that isn't typical when the moment presents itself. Maybe figure out exactly is going on without somebody having the info-first advantage over me.

It occurs to me I should have tried to do this more regularly early on so I could do a proper assessment in November on the in/outs but I am where I am I guess.

Plus, if I'm going to 'waste' my time on anything, I'd rather list Senators than Pokemon or such things.

Since this is a cleanup post I should mention I added the 'MAGA' tag to Tuberville's profile.

Also; "Why so many posts suddenly?"
    I had a bunch of free time this morning.
  • edited 2022-10-20 11:50:07
    Lisa Murkowski

State: Alaska
    Status: Senior Senator, Seat-in-Contention (against at least one other Republican somehow, as well as a Democrat, but the Democrat lady is basically going to bomb)
    Term: 19 years
    Since? 2002
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer, so basically pre-Politics
    Politics: Moderate Republican, Business-Friendly, Anti-MAGA Republican, Fiscal Conservative, Pro-Fossil Fuel, Pro-Military
    Unique Notes: (buckle up) Literally once defeated the actual Republican candidate via the power of write-in (sorry, Joe Mueller, whoever you are), Second longest serving female Republican, A lot of friends in the media (I would not be surprised if she's running a secret Fish-Smuggling or Multi-Level-Marketing Mafia), Mean Girl*, Free Spirit**, Family-in-Politics (her father, a previous Senator and Governor), Gun-Fan (well, Alaska), Former Anchorage School District PTA President (obviously!)
    Last Noteable Tweet: Visiting Ms. Christi's Class! Cute precocious children! Lots of Good Questions!
    CwIdRdb.png

*Exhibit A: Unflattering Picture of Opponent in Attack Ad
    cK19mXU.png

**The Free Spirit tag will be used for representatives that often break party line, with an explanation here. In her case, she was one of the first explicitly pro-gay-marriage Republicans, two years before Obergefell, and basically before Barack Obama. She also voted to impeach Donald Trump, and frequently will cross the aisle to help Biden appointees and some policy.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Daniel S. Sullivan

State: Alaska
    Term: 7 years
    Since? 2015
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer (I'm starting to sense a pattern), Marine Corps Active Duty (5 years) Law Clerk, former Attorney General (Alaska), George W.Bush Staffer
    Politics: Solid Republican, Pro-Fossil Fuel, Protectionist, China Hawk, (Very) Pro-Military, Fiscal Conservative, Oddly Pro-Social Safety Net and General Social Policy
    Unique Notes: Valor Cred (genuine), Serious Contender for Mr. Senate
    Last Notable Tweet: Will fistfight Putin for Alaska.
    8wOEQMU.png
    Mark Kelly

State: Arizona
    Status: (Barely) Junior Senator, Seat-in-Contention (oh my gosh this is the guy running defense against Blake Masters)
    Term: 2 years
    Since: 2020
    Occupation Before Senate: Navy Active Duty (Pilot), Astronaut (oh wow, cool), Nonprofit chair (what a U-Turn)
    Politics: Gun Reformist, Mono-Mania (the gun thing, understandable), Moderate-ish Democrat, Wealth-Blamer*
    Unique Notes: Valor Cred (genuine), Valor Badge**, His wife was actually shot in the head once (so I really can't pass judgement on his gun policies willy-nilly), Family-in-Politics (his wife, Gabby Giffords, a former Congresswoman), Tweet Game: Strong
    Last Notable Tweet: Pinned Tweet defending abortion against Blake Masters who is a vampire somehow
    ojbqrvL.png

*General tag for "I'll save the economy by opposing tax breaks for the rich!!" type deal
    **General tag for every one of this person's arguments involving "I was in the army and you weren't!"
  • edited 2022-10-21 06:36:45
    Kyrsten Sinema

State: Arizona
    Term: 3 Years
    Since: 2019
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer/Attorney (Wow I never would have guessed!)
    Politics: Moderate Democrat, Free Spirit (obviously)*, Tree-Hugger (formerly of the Green Party), Pro-Social Safety Net and Social Policy, Pro-Veteran (what?), Fiscal... Liberal (what??? who is this woman), Pro-DHS (!!!)
    Unique Notes: Dresses like a Groovy Girls doll, Target**, Who even spells "Cinema" with an S?, Did her parents mean to call her "Krysten"?
    Last Notable Tweet: Bipartisan Support for the Semiconductor Industry (okay she easily wins Best Democrat)
    sXbBjRo.png

*Has opposed several massive spending packages, most notably the initial draft of the oddly named 'Build Back Better' blockbuster bill.
    **This will be used for those representatives that people just go after for no real reason, ie that time people wouldn't stop following her into the bathroom.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Is there really no purpose in trying to learn something new? I mean, people talk about these people (usually only the top 20 or so) basically every day, so I want to at least have a random fact to bring up that isn't typical when the moment presents itself. Maybe figure out exactly is going on without somebody having the info-first advantage over me.

It occurs to me I should have tried to do this more regularly early on so I could do a proper assessment in November on the in/outs but I am where I am I guess.

Plus, if I'm going to 'waste' my time on anything, I'd rather list Senators than Pokemon or such things.

Since this is a cleanup post I should mention I added the 'MAGA' tag to Tuberville's profile.

Also; "Why so many posts suddenly?"
    I had a bunch of free time this morning.
    Oh, okay. I just was confused at what the thread was supposed to be for.
  • edited 2022-10-21 14:31:11
    John Boozman

State: Arkansas
    Term: 11 years
    Since? 2011
    Occupation Before Senate: Optometrist (that's a pretty unique career)
    Politics: Solid Republican, Pro-Business (agrobusiness especially since Arkansas), Pro-DHS, IRS Skeptic*, Pro-Medicare**, Anti-Regulation***, Inflation-Hawk, Pro-Gun, Congress, Flirting-with-MAGA
    Unique Notes: Actual Doctor, Valor Cred (Father! Again!), Raised cattle competitively...? (Polled Hereford cattle specifically), STANDS UP TO TERRORISTS, That last name...
    Last Notable Tweet: Lunch at Neal's!
    0M3tXHF.png

(Now all I need to find is someone kissing a baby).

*Branch of Republican that believes the IRS has been unfairly targeting right-wing causes since the Obama Admin
    **I think I'm going to separate this from "Pro-Social Safety Net and Social Policy" generally because it seems like the only issue Republicans will support Social Safety Net wise
    ***Oh wow it took me this long to find a Republican like this!
    Tom Cotton

Ah, another person I actually know.

State: Arkansas
    Term: 7 years
    Since? 2015
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer, US Army Active Duty (5 Years)
    Politics: Red Republican, MAGA, Sec. 230 Reformist*, COVID-skeptic**, Controversy-Seeker, Pro-Military, Pro-DHS, Pro-Broken-Windows, China-Hawk
    Unique Notes: Valor Cred (genuine) "Writer"***, Also worked on his parents cattle farm (oh Arkansas), Worked-for-McKinsey****, Federal-Levelist*****
    Last Notable Tweet: Don't COVax the Kids! (tried to find something else but this was his last 10 tweets/retweets in a row)
    F6vJzev.png

*Wants to change social media networks to 'common carrier' status and prevent them from both harm they face (lawsuits)/benefits they get (removing undesirables) from content moderation
    **Makes his disdain for public health policy clear and does not move in lockstep once experts in the field declare a new position
    ***Has "written" a book (oh so did Kyrsten Sinema, but it was way before she was a Senator, so she probably actually wrote it)
    ****Dunno, seems important
    *****I wanted to say "Nationalist" or "Federalist" but both those terms have meanings already, what I mean here is he appears to have been elected to the Senate and so he now primarily deals with national level issues rather than anything back home, especially with how little there is about agriculture (which is like the Thing it seems in Arkansas) on his various profiles.
  • edited 2022-10-23 07:06:01
    Dianne Feinstein

Big names all of a sudden!

State: California (there really are no B states)
    Term: 29 years
    Since? 1992
    Occupation Before Senate: Mayor of San Fransisco, Law-degree-straight-into-politics
    Politics: Blue Democrat, Pro-Abortion, Pro-Medicare, Pro-Immigration, Environmentalist, Plastics-Skeptic*,
    Unique Notes: Was once exposed for insider trading, I have seen some droll Senator sites but hers is really painful to look at, She was apparently responsible for the creation of AMBER Alerts? (alongside Asa danged Hutchinson of all people?), "Cracked down on rogue pharmacies"...?, Closed the loophole on Border Tunnels (that existed apparently?)
    Last Notable Tweet: Your make-up will kill you.
    xuIljBC.png

*Like her tweet says, Plastic Skeptics are the sort who think that maybe maybe this newfangled chemical might hurt you (or worse, your kids).
  • edited 2022-10-23 07:05:20
    Alex Padilla

...who even are you?

State: California
    Status: (Very) Junior Senator (Seat-In-Contention, poor guy)
    Term: 2ish years
    Since? 2021
    Occupation Before Senate: Engineering degree straight into politics (from MIT!*) (odd, he says he switched to politics because of "anti-immigration rhetoric" and Prop. 187), Secretary of State
    Politics: Blue Democrat, Anti-Military (finally), Extremely Pro-Immigration, "Progressive" (self described), Environmentalist,
    Unique Notes: Appointment (by Gov. Newsom, to fill the vacancy left behind by current VP Kamala Harris), First-Generation, The "First Latino"... in over a hundred years to lead his city council (when you want to be first, but can't be), He is The First Latino, okay????
    Last Notable Tweet: Happy Birthday K, your BFF, A.
    EQ3ctb1.png

*Darn, I should note all the big schools senators go to...
    Michael Bennet

State: Colorado
    Term: 13 years
    Since? 2009
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer (oh really now?), School District Superintendent, Headed an Investment company once
    Politics: Solid Democrat, Environmentalist, Fiscal Liberal, Salient on Immigration (pro but not too pro)
    Unique Notes: Born in India (no he's not Indian, his dad was just working with the U.S. Ambassador at the time), Yale Law School,
    Last Notable Tweet: MUSSOS! (Mussolinis...?) Tutto bene! Molto delizioso!
    HMbeVJc.png
    Fuggedabouit! (isn't that a New York thing? is my next thread going to be "Battle of the Restaurants Senators go to?")
  • edited 2022-10-26 15:57:38
    John Hicklenlooper

State: Colorado
    Term: 1ish year
    Since: 2021
    Occupation Before Senate: Geologist (unique), Brewpub owner (...?), Consummate Businessman (including real estate)
    Politics: Pro-(Small) Business, Environmentalist, Pro-"Sustainablitity", Protectionist (...huh), Pro-Medicare, Pro-Immigration,
    Unique Notes: 60's Kid (it's just the vibe he gives off), Did I mention the brewpubs?, Apparently he's the marijuana pioneer of the whole country, Female-dog lover (not a double entendre), Avid Banjo-ist, He has a sappy acoustic guitar cover of 'You Are My Sunshine' playing on his website which he played himself (why did nobody tell him no? then again, everybody is on drugs thanks to him...),

Apparently, John Hickenlooper is married but you would not know that from any of his official sites somehow (his various dogs have a whole section but not his wife...?)
    Last Notable Tweet: Tom's Starlight Diner (oh my gosh did everybody decide to go to a restaurant this exact same week?)
    RBguF9w.png

Richard Blumenthal

State: Connecticut
    Term: 11 years
    Since? 2011
    Occupation Before Senate: Lawyer/Attorney (oh really), Connecticut Attorney General, Active Duty Marine Corps (honorable discharge), Lots of Admin Assistant jobs
    Politics: Blue Democrat, Saudi Arabia Hawk (this is a thing?), Lawfare Obsession, Pro-Immigration
    Unique Notes: Unexpectedly Jewish (haha), Harvard (Edited the Crimson), Valor Cred (genuine),

Big Unique Note: Mr. Blumenthal's website currently, proudly states that he once saved a guy on death row who was "wrongfully convicted" whilst working with the NAACP. This man was Joseph Green Brown, and the means by which he was released were... a technicality. Mr. Green Brown then went on to kill his wife.

I hear about these cases all the time (get a murderer out of jail and then he kills somebody else) but to see that a current sitting Senator was not only involved in such a case, but that he still brags about it on his website, was quite jarring.

Moving on;

Last Notable Tweet: Retweeting a media piece on this very strange bill he is promoting.
    flCVn9k.png