If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread about architecture, buildings, and interior design

Comments

• edited 2022-04-04 04:29:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    so today i saw this house with a rather weird layout but that might be a great party house

from the outside, the front looks like a regular one-story suburban house

if you go in, you are in a foyer area that is open to and steps down into a living room

the living room isn't that deep, and beyond it, beyond the back doors with many windows embedded in them, you can see a swimming pool

or should i say, the lounge, since there's no separate family/living rooms

but just one common area

anyway, that foyer area, if you go left, you're walking down a "hallway" that's separated from the living room by a waist-high wall and otherwise totally open to it

down that "hallway" are two bedrooms and a bathroom

if instead you go into the lounge and go toward the far left, there's a nice big master bedroom over there, with a master bath that also opens out onto the pool patio

if instead you go into the lounge and go to the right, you pass the built-in TV cabinet in the wall, then the laundry room to the garage, then a den/office (basically a bedroom without a closet) at a corner, then immediately the kitchen and eating area

that eating area also opens out to the pool

the pool -- which actually isn't that large, so probably not great for swimming laps, but good for hanging out in -- is basically the centerpiece of the property, if you ignore the frontyard

(the frontyard is also kinda uninteresting as far as property features go)

and as far as the building itself goes, the centerpiece there is the lounge

this totally feels like you could have like three or four people living in this house and hanging out together in the lounge and pool
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    comment_1650084963oFmDVBsDrqTyq9UrSdAmN1,w600.jpg

Rate this interior.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    9/10 has electrical outlets serving TV and GameCube, but lacks backrests
    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/10055-NW-4th-St-103_Pembroke-Pines_FL_33024_M55195-58628?ex=2942198677
    Dunno why, but I have this feeling that this property has a lot of potential to evolve into something really neat. It's got a lot of possibilities.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    What amazes me is that, apparently, where this guy lives, "abandoned tiny house" means a three hundred years-old piece of quaint but recognized heritage which still stands in a relatively decent condition and you can just go buy it.
    it ain't really abandoned unless someone's lost the property records
    comment_1659674547DD7HMiQi2cwSxNHd6e6j7I.jpg

The caption says "each of us was in this room". The joke is that this kind of interior design easily registers as a "grandma's house/apartment look" around here. (Bit more apartment than house, but works for these too.) Posting this as a compare-and-contrast image, I'm wondering what would be you guys' impression. Especially as I've just learned there's such a thing as "coastal grandmother look" that TikTok kids are into these days.
    Even ignoring the decorations, the couches and the curtains do seem to be older styles.
  • edited 2022-08-06 07:52:16
    That doesn't register as old style to me, I think for It to be deben as old around here it'd need to have less, more spaced out furniture, as wells as barred (checks name) jalousie windows.
    Also, flower prints everywhere.
    comment_1660727291jr95rpjnuSrfXyV4gbk3O5,w600.jpg

Another beautiful piece of urban planning. Some quotes:
    looks like it's built over an ancient burgwall
    now a moat and it's complete
    complaints about noisy farmwork coming in*
    where are the guard towers?
    a single road, good, two archery towers will be enough

Generally comments compare it either to Biskupin and Asterix's village, or to Cities:Skylines and SimCity.

Some netizen claims there used to be an 18th Century gunpowder store in that place, thus the unusual shape. Allegedly this is the same plot of land before the construction began:
    comment_1660734729xzMwQA4Fxx5WXbKAbrB3un,w600.jpg
    comment_1660758460yk2OFPaUi8YJUqbIIVt26r,w600.jpg

* concerning noisy farmwork: there's a pretty well-known case of a farmer who kept his plot while his neighbours sold theirs for development. Now his piece of farm is surrounded by apartment blocks full of people who complain about farm noises and smells, which only encouraged him to keep working it. Most recently I've heard the man took the trolling to another level and planted the entire field with (apparently legal) cannabis.
    TIL what Biskupin is
    comment_1666493212QmIpQQMiedB1kDEgTFpDM7.jpg
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    When you learned everything about construction from LEGO.
    Well, dormers are a thing, I guess.
  • edited 2022-10-26 21:12:51
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Some interesting ideas on where to put a place to sleep (and one curiously shaped apartment):

comment_1653287400QgEm4lDCUS9gJR84W6FYuj,w400.jpg

comment_1661327044RXez1LbexMbvBECUddilqW,w400.jpg

comment_1661933430WigtgebFqgX6UEfSXbn50B.jpg

comment_1661197298QtPbDh8CRRAKndNHV8bgbW,w600.jpg

comment_1662061365BRcdImvSeX5qeYyiZ2cPuv,w600.jpg

(You can disregard the captions, the idea is how to split an apartment in two.)

comment_1659246890SAxR0tN9rmM7gPuMOTWM4m,w600.jpg
    The curiously shaped apartment reminds me of some of the wilder features of Burton-Conner House, a dormitory at MIT, at least before its recent renovations (after which I don't know what the floor plans are like now).

Its living areas were organized into suites (i.e. combos of lounge, kitchen, a few bedrooms, and bathroom), and in it there were such features as the following:

* a suite with an L-shaped floorplan that looked like this (see attachment), with a cluster of awkwardly placed doors all next to each other
    * two adjacent rooms sharing three windows, leading one to hog two windows including a corner of the room next door
    * two hallways with residential suites, at the same level and next to each other, but with no way to go between them except via a fire escape that was accessed by climbing on the window behind a urinal on one side and by climbing through a hallway window on the other side

Re bedrooms: nice use of vertical space.

The third picture is basically how tiny houses do things.

The fourth picture looks structurally sketchy though.
    oops i forgot to embedwvtkigibstus.png
    comment_1666985808y08obxLMFg3PSEnlmrdEv9.jpg
    is that basically a studio apartment on a garage
    I dunno. I see a few two-storey garages on my route to my workplace, but these are more like, a place for car and some storage. Perhaps somebody had the fancy to turn the upper floor into something resembling an apartment.

Also, talking about apartments, I finally found that room plan I wanted to show you the last time:
    h7-Pu-QXrir-GXA.jpg
    ^ would live in

also I just realized how absurdly far away the bathroom is from the bedrooms in the previous floorplan you posted

both of these seem to be "we have space left over; how do we do something with it?" things lol
    both of these seem to be "we have space left over; how do we do something with it?" things lol

Also, "how to wring out some cash from marks by selling them some practically unusable space at the same price per square meter as the rest of the apartment".
  • edited 2022-10-30 03:31:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Incidentally, that diagram I drew of one part of the dorm I used to live in?

I also once lived across the hall from that. There was one suite there that had one single-occupancy room that was very long. It had an entry door at one end, and one window at the other end.

It was a big room, but it was dark.

Also, the window looked out roughly ENE, but more importantly, it looked out onto the courtyard of the fraternity house next door, facing a brick wall (though said wall wasn't too close to the window, thankfully).
    I wonder if I should make an urban planning/design/issues thread separate from this and the politics thread and the silly geographical comments thread.