If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Vzla. politics thread

1111213141517»

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Hey @Stormtroper, I had this loose thought that I'd like your opinion on, as our resident Latin American. Namely, you might have heard the pope is like doing everything he can except actually condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Would you consider it possible that, with his background as a socially-minded clergyman from Argentine, he might have some latent sympathy for Russia?
  • I can't say I've paid attention to it lately, but he's always been lukewarm about condemning abuses coming from the left (which as far as Latin American politics are concerned, the Russian government still is), so something like that would be unsurprising.
  • edited 2022-05-04 05:13:07
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    as far as Latin American politics are concerned, the Russian government still is

Hasn't the Russian government been instrumental in supporting a variety of right-wing governments in other countries (most famously, but not limited to, the United States)? Not to mention the Soviet Union hasn't existed for forever already. I'm surprised the Russian government is still seen as "left".

Then again this might involve weird multidimensional political opinion cleavages that exist particularly at the international level.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Left or not left, there's this silly notion that Russia stands in opposition to the US, therefore it is ideologically on my side. Works for both the left fringe and the right fringe. For a right-wing example, a while ago there was a fad (even in here) to present Putin as a good Christian who preserves the Latin/Western civilization against teh ebul Jooz *ahem* Cultural Marxists. This despite the fact these same folks would otherwise be the first to say Russia is not Latin/Western/civilized, that it is religiously lukewarm, has a big Muslim minority, and abortion rates through the roof, and that even if it was as they saw it, it'd be the kind of Christian they consider badwrong.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Came across this, among various other US political/policy news.

• ^^^ I don't mean the Soviet Union's, I mean Putin's government ~15 years ago, when it was more clearly (or at least that was the perception) in favour of specifically leftist anti-globalist movements. These movements include actual leftist governments, former leftist governments and leftist groups with decent shots at governing so it's not surprising the image hasn't worn off.
    AFAIK in Russia itself it's more in favour of right-wing movements and against left-wing ones.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think the relevant bit is might be the anti-globalism part, as well as the anti-US part (both of which are kinda often conflated I think).

That would serve as a common link between those people who oppose the US/the West for capitalistic western imperialism (and thus would be considered "left-wing") and those people who oppose western liberalism (is this term meaningfully correct here?) for being too deferential to foreigners and foreign cultures (so, in other words, people who espouse cultural/traditional purity and hold anti-immigrant sentiment, and thus would be considered "right-wing").
  • According to the search function, I never posted about the time when our navy held an heroic last stand against a passenger ship, but no worries, someone made a video about it:
    virgin navy boat vs chad cruise ship