If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• After I put on my shoes this morning I found out there was a centipede inside one of them.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    :grimace:
    This is a neat engineering thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_bridge
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    How big was the centipede?
  • edited 2022-03-18 20:40:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    this big: youtu.be/1DvKD3LQW68?t=1657
  • It fled before I could take a good look at it, but I'd say 15-20 cm.
    I was supposed to do 3D work today the day that just ended, but my attention habits had different plans for me. While at it one thing led to the other and I ended up rereading some old IJBM threads again, it didn't feel that way at the time but I found it surprising how active the forum was only a couple years ago.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ Some 13-18 cm more centipede than I'd tolerate in my shoe, for sure.

^^ I expected a Human Centipede joke, but I still lol'd.
    Polish Man Signals Tolerance of 2 cm Centipede in Shoe
    You know, after that story about tanking a tooth-pulling, I'm beginning to consider Storm is more badass than he lets on.
  • edited 2022-03-21 11:33:25
    He's trained in the arts of Touhou-ken, after all.
  • Sometimes I wonder about how some acronyms get popular.
    I was reading some lawyer stuff on Reddit and came upon a post about PDs and DAs and got confused by how law works in that place where apparently police departments and defense attorneys do the opposite of what you'd expect. It took me several readings to realize that person was talking about public defenders and district attorneys.
    Heard about it. Perhaps not as much as the destruction of Palmyra, but still hurts.

May their tapes ever be tangled and their cartridges ill-fitting.
  • I got a third dose of the chip. I can feel its might empowering my body.
    By the way, do you guys receive some fancy-schmancy Cuban chip, or just the generic Soros-Gates model?
    they inject tostones
  • edited 2022-04-01 11:35:38
    ^^ Neither, we get the CCCP (edit: CCP) and Putin models. It didn't occur me to ask if one can get both, it's not much but it's one step towards vaxmaxxing.
    Also it just occured to me that I've never heard something about the Sputnik vaccine chip communicating with satellites. Conspiracy theorists are getting sloppy.
    Conspiracy theorists are getting sloppy.
    It's almost like Russia was the one thing they don't mind.
  • I've been learning about inferential statistics lately, especially stuff about comparing sample data. Applying this stuff has been much less complicated than I thought it'd be, though I know there are pitfalls to watch out for.
    Related IJBM: The "this study is wrong it only sampled x% of the population, you don't understand statistics" internet argument from people who don't understand statistics.
    Yeah, that only works if you cast doubt on that sample being representative of the population.

Meanwhile, there's a term for sampling 100% of the population; that's called a census.
  • edited 2022-04-17 18:54:57
    I've been feeling down lately.
    It occurs to me that I can't remember the last time I've done something I could be proud of.
    I thought I had posted the above yesterday but it was still there. I suppose I'll add the fact that I spent this morning and part of the afternoon getting upset at Vsauce2 videos for being wrong about stuff.
  • edited 2022-04-17 19:01:47
    =(

*hug*

I've been irritatingly unaccomplished too
    Oh man, yeah. I feel for you.
  • It occurs to me that I've almost never heard of pseudorandomness outsude the context of someone trying to justify some probability hunch based on little beyond the fact that it's a computer that's doing It.
  • I got new glasses. I should've gotten them ages ago but I only now got around to having them made. My eyesight has gotten much worse since last time.
    I'm still seeing double with them, too, I hope it's not a problem with how they're made.
    If you're seeing double with the new glasses... well, that doesn't sound good. Like, I hope you see double only with glasses. If the glasses are wrong then the problem is just sloppy... however you call the glasses-making guy.

I had custom-made glasses once, then I lost them, then I got store-bought, then I figured my sight isn't really that bad. I can live with having to squint to see the number on the bus.
  • edited 2022-05-06 17:06:39
    i just used "do the funni" (a phrase i'd never heard of until the demonic grin poland meme, specifically the comments) to refer to an unspecified unfortunate act

specifically i said this:
    incidentally i've heard that a number of the Q. virginiana around here are monoclones (or however you use this term) in that they're all derived from like one tree or so grown up in central florida

so i've heard some people make the point that if something ever does the does the funni on these oaks (here) it'll sweep through fast

in this case i was referring to communicable plant parasites/diseases, obviously
    Random thought of the day: after watching an amateur blacksmithing video, I realized this is just cottagecore for men.
    TIL:
    A curious situation. The best known lower bound for the minimal length of superpermutations was proved by an anonymous user of a wiki mainly devoted to anime.

Anomymous 4chan poster; Houston, Robin; Pantone, Jay; Vatter, Vince (October 25, 2018). “A lower bound on the length of the shortest superpattern”. OEIS. Retrieved 27 October 2018. URL: https://oeis.org/A180632/a180632.pdf