If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Best Western Calendar New Year wishes from my time zone, guys!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Welcome to your stay at Best Western Hotels and Resorts 2022!

I'll see you there soon.
  • Happy New Year IJBM!
    I just spent some time watching the fireworks. They're nice to look at, though it'd be nice if I could do so without also hearing them.
    Happy New Year!

I finally got my parents to play Settlers of Catan.
  • edited 2022-01-03 04:53:03
    I tried the thing about using lecture videos (on statistics) as background noise, but it didn't work out. The only part that stuck is that there's a study about which way people's heads turn when they kiss.
    non-randomly sample lecture material from statistics lectures
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah, I've had it this way with some history podcasting I tried to listen to. But it works fine when you travel, because you don't have anything better to do anyway. (Assuming you're not the driver, but when you are, it's the same as whether you can focus on the radio speaker, so it'll probably work fine too then.)
    It's not really TIL since it's been a few days ago, but turns out the US army has an official manual for soldiers on how to play the percussion.
  • I wonder if it's a holdover from the days we had dudes playing the drums on the Battlefield.
  • edited 2022-01-12 07:45:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's that time of the year again -- the weekend of the third Monday of January (i.e. Martin Luther King Jr. Day) is fast approaching, and that means it's the weekend when the MIT Mystery Hunt will be held.

If you're interested in puzzles, let me know and I can get you on our team; we're fine with even if you can only join us for a little bit of time. (Note: we use Discord to communicate.) If you're interested but your weekend is entirely stuffed, there may be other puzzlehunts offered at other times in the year.

If you're curious what sorts of puzzles this event will involve, here's a video showing off a few sample puzzles (but there can be pretty much anything, honestly). It was put together by the team that ran last year's Hunt, which per tradition means they were the ones to win the Hunt the year before that.

I might have no time for this to fully engage, but you can dump a riddle or two on us.
  • If previous years are to go by, I'll look at some of the puzzles, feel dumb then go do something else in shame.
  • edited 2022-01-13 06:44:13
    To be fair, it's more like a bunch of people poring over spreadsheets with clues for random things, trying to figure out what certain clues are and/or pondering trying to find some sort of pattern in them, and not much like an old lady sitting alone doing sudokus or whatever. Probably best enjoyed with a group.

But if a puzzle involves Polish memes or Venezuelan...something, I might post about it here on an ad-hoc basis.

(inb4 there's an entire puzzle on cenzopapas)
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_ordeal#By_fire
    In 1498, Dominican friar Girolamo Savonarola, the leader of a reform movement in Florence who claimed apocalyptic prophetic visions, attempted to prove the divine sanction of his mission by undergoing a trial by fire. The first of its kind for over 400 years, the trial was a fiasco for Savonarola, since a sudden rain doused the flames, canceling the event, and was taken by onlookers as a sign from God against him. The Holy Inquisition arrested him shortly thereafter, with Savonarola convicted of heresy and hanged at the Piazza della Signoria in Florence.
    Imagine God saving you with a timely holy rain and you still getting killed as a heretic.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Also, note how they didn't take any chances and had the guy hanged.
  • edited 2022-02-01 17:53:58
    *attempts to ignore previous posts' contents lol*

新年快樂! (Happy New Year!)
    So, how did that Mystery Hunt go?

I'm not sure what's the right reply, so: happy New Year too!
    ...remind me again later because there's a lot I wanna say but I don't feel like typing up a lengthy thing right now.
    ...I'm gonna do that some time later then.
  • edited 2022-02-02 06:27:24
    Happy New Year (again)!
    Suck it, oxen, tigers are the hip thing now.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    >comes to complain about toys
    >writes novel on political events instead
    welcome back to the internet
    This is related to current politics, but nonetheless I'll post about it here.

So, there's a very fundie NGO around here, currently in throes of a big scandal after two of theirs had a workplace romance ending in two divorces. Best part is that this NGO actually called for a ban on divorce, in a veiled, "we're just asking questions" kind of way that you guys probably know from your own pundits.

So, what's been making rounds on the internet is a fragment of a recording of an interview or a conversation between the stars of the scandal. The guy literally says there that "freedom is about controlling your urges".

...why, it happened to cross my mind to tell you, surely just a coincidence.
    lol, the "General U.S. politics thread" is now the general anything politics thread at this point.
    Trying to unclog my life. I've had a very unproductive week.
    "Do geese see God?"

Every time they hang out with their conspecifics.
  • The other day I learned an MtG YouTuber I follow has a channel on medieval history trivia, that I'm finding more entertaining than his MtG stuff.
    I approve of this reasoning.
  • Y'know that thing when you were reading TV Tropes and you were able to figure out where each link led to before reading the URL? I've noticed that to this day it still happens, even offsite, you're reading some unrelated thing but with a linked phrase describing a trope and blam, you guessed it's a link to Unmoving Plaid or whatever.
    You can leave TV Tropes but TV Tropes will never leave you.
    TV Tropes Will Ruin The Rest Of Your Life