If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Hey @glennmagusharvey, have you heard of this thing before?

It's like, industrial, but from the 1920's.
  • edited 2021-11-27 05:45:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

TIL there exists an indigenous language in Costa Rica called Maléku.
  • So Debussy/Clair de Lune has been invading my life lately, I wonder if there's a particular reason for that (a Netflix series?) or it's just been Baader-Meinhoffing me.
    Nice music tho.
  • edited 2021-12-04 10:33:50
    Might be that it's shown up in something you watched and you just didn't notice it at the time.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You know what? I'm gonna ask. This is yet another case when you guys post a piece of music with a picture of some anime girlie, looking like this was the musician. But that ain't Vocaloid, now, is it? So what's this stuff? Is it some official music track for a light novel franchise? Or is it common in Japan to publish music that's presented as the work of a fictional character? Like, don't get me wrong, I don't try to mock it or whatever, it's just, like, high time for me to finally ask what this stuff is. I'm legitimately curious.
  • edited 2022-01-25 03:54:38
    This is from this album: https://vgmdb.net/album/77123

They're remixes of tracks from two games: Suguri and Acceleration of Suguri. These are Japanese indie games, from Orange Juice, the same developer that later made 100% Orange Juice. This is more up their usual alley though, since both of these games are shmups.

The character on the album cover is Suguri herself. The other characters are other characters from the games, specifically Kae, [dunno the name], Saki, [dunno the name], Iru, Kyoko, and the pothead being tossed around is named NoName (really, he is).
    lrdgck wrote: »
    Hey @glennmagusharvey, have you heard of this thing before?

It's like, industrial, but from the 1920's.

I somehow missed this message from you. Sorry!

No, I have not heard of this before, but I'm listening to it now.
    So, in this post I linked to "Journey to the End" by Windir, a rather uncommonly electronic piece by a black/viking metal band. Turns out somebody went all the way through and made it into a rave tune:

got two things for y'all

if you feel like fighting:

if you feel like partying:
    relevant to the stick post i made earlier

This is pretty fascinating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Banjo_(Gottschalk)
    The accuracy of Gottschalk's banjo imitations in the piece makes it a unique record of the sound of pre-Civil War African-American banjo playing, and it contains evidence of techniques not found in other sources, including combinations of "downstroking" and "up-picking" found in West African plucked lute performance. This unusual accuracy has enabled at least one modern banjo player to recreate the banjo music that Gottschalk transcribed, which invited speculation that Gottschalk may have taken his banjo imitations from actual transcription of an unnamed African-American banjo player. Unlike most banjo music in the popular minstrel shows of the time that more closely followed the melody of dance music,[3] most of "The Banjo" consists of variations of a repeating phrase as is done by musicians in the Senegambia region in West Africa, the source for the banjo's ancestors.[2]

FYI here's a recording of the piece itself:
    That's quite a curious story.

lrdgck wrote: »
    [banjo performance]

And here's his commentary on it.

https://palouserivermusic.com/track/2036041/the-banjo

This is really fascinating.

Heh, whoever put together this compilation, sure seems a fella you could discuss music theory with.

There's a web documentary on dungeon synth on YouTube. I wanted to share it with you guys, you know I've been posting dungeon synth so it's fun to see somebody made a decent review of the genre. I do think like it could include a few details more or devote more time to a few already included, but it's a good job for some 45 minutes.
    Beats to provide proofs of the existence of God to.
  • YouTube is now spamming me with recommendations of similar ancient-version-of-modern-music-things.
  • edited 2022-05-10 21:42:23
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

How about some...

https://itjustbugsme.com/forums/uploads/editor/de/wbfy1c8j39fj.gif" alt="wbfy1c8j39fj.gif" class="bbcode_img" />

Let's see:
    Barbarous Pomerania

Country of origin: Poland
    Formed in: 2002

Genre: Pagan/Black Metal
    Lyrical themes: Slavonic paganism, History, Heritage, Aryanism

So far, nothing out of the ordinary. But let's take a look at the lineup.
    Wilkun Bass (?-2014)
    "Wulfen". Okay.
    Bard Radowit Guitars
    See also: ex-Światogor
    Somebody's been doin' D&D, haven't we?
    Nakon Guitars, Drums
    See also: Wilkołak
    Wilczygniew Kurhan Vocals, Lyrics
    See also: Wilkołak, ex-Gontyna Kry
    "Wolfsanger Burialmound".
    Wened Wilk Sławibor Drums (2015-present)
    "Vened Wolf Praisewoods". Polish pagan metal scene (which is how I - for lack of a better name - choose to call a sort of a particularly demented off-shoot of wider Polish black metal scene) seems to have a thing for Dwarf Fortress-style naming. But, I haven't mentioned if our friend Woody ever played in any other band.
    See also: Blood Stronghold, Cmentarny Zew, Coffinshade, Duch Czerni, Exercitus Septentrionale, Faustian Funeral, Fulguritus, Guild of Shadows, Hatenwar, Lunar Tyrant, Necrostrigis, Nightevil, Nocturnal Werewolf, Nyja, Odszczepieniec, Ordo Sanguinis Noctis, Ravenmoon Sanctuary, Sit Finis Hominum, Starlit Woods, Stodor Wilzorum, Templum Umbrae, Vorthax, Waroath, Wilczy Demon, Zakon Wilczej Krwi, Zcerneboh, Zuarasiz, Lord Wind (live), ex-Angrenost, ex-Archandrja, ex-Cryptal Spectres, ex-Midnight, ex-Night's Blood, ex-Quercus, ex-Venedae, ex-Wizun, ex-Cthulhu Rites, ex-Seth, Incantantrices, Maze of Darkness, Painland, Petrihorn, Unynije, Vitutus, Winterscars, ex-Cursed Coven, ex-Czarna Trumna, ex-Darkstorm, ex-Gontyna Kry, ex-Lechia, ex-Plaguespawn, ex-Aetheres, ex-Angmar, ex-Birkut, ex-Czart, ex-Demiurg Błyskawicy, ex-Pomeranian Warriors, ex-Sunastray, ex-Wąpierz

Turns out he's been playin' around a bit.
  • edited 2022-05-12 02:01:31

This is one of the movements from Gabriel Prokofiev's Suite for Global Junk.

If you're curious how these noises were made: