If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2021-05-23 19:48:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I forget whether I posted Ernesto Lecuona's "La Conga de Media Noche" before. But here it is.

While looking for this, I misremembered the title and instead searched for "danza media noche", which got me...this search result. I haven't yet figured out what it is.

Edit: it seems to be track 4 from the first volume of the soundtrack to Nazo no Kanojo X, a.k.a. Mysterious Girlfriend X. Not sure why someone threw in the title "danza de media noche" though.
  • edited 2021-05-24 02:06:03
    Another interpretation of Lecuona's Conga de la Medianoche:
  • edited 2021-06-04 05:27:25

This looks like a stupid meme but I actually enjoyed the music.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You know, recently I've had this realization. Like, you know the joke about "Last Christmas" trending on Youtube means that Christmas is coming. In this case, I know that summer is coming when car radios under my window begin playing Hispanophonic dance pop.

There is a broader genre, if it's not a stretch to call it so, colloquially known as "summer music". Spanish language (or even dance pop) are not a strict requirement but are common enough that you can observe the spike in frequency.
  • edited 2021-06-10 17:17:15
    Hey hey hey! Sunglasses! Beaches! Palm trees! Swimsuits! [/snerk]
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Turns out the earliest cenzopapa dates to 1979 and isn't even Polish.

Not the typical instrument.

Here's a little curious thing for you guys: Ukrainian folk techno (not hardbass).
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    harps are so DOOOOOOOM
    Isn't it so? It's crazy, it's like the woman discovered the trick how to be the star of the show on a drone doom metal fest without even playing guitar.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm amazed at how effective that is.

This keeps getting weirder and weirder: dungeon synth meets Carpenter-themed synthwave. It makes kind of sense though.
    Gotta hire carpenters to build those dungeons.
    Huh, I saw the one with Kant. Had some loose idea what it is on the basis of the picture, but that was about all, y'know.

Also, the Chopin contest. Most of the year Poles are experts on medicine and footy, but this is the time when they are also expert on playing the piano.
    Wait, the International Chopin Competition actually gets people who aren't music nerds to watch and then chatter about who should/shouldn't win?
    Well, perhaps not exactly, but it's acknowledged it's there, which is more than one would expect. Last year it garnered enough interest for satirists to draw pictures of folks spewing typical game-watching slurs towards the pianist on TV screen, or worse.

This is my favourite:

comment_163325848590WSfmnljR1RpCo3EHh8kq,w400.jpg

"GO ON, BEAT THAT BLACK BASTARD! KICK IT!"
  • edited 2023-04-14 21:32:19
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    [dead link for Marxen - Nightgrad. Posting another one.]

Russian band playing Soviet-themed electronics inspired by Anglo-American fad for retro electronic music makes an album inspired by a Polish video game inspired by an American role-playing game from a genre that partially inspired the retro music that started the trend.
  • edited 2021-10-16 18:22:01
    The Anglo-American fad for retro electronic music is presumably vaporwave?

What are the two games? Is the first one Cyberpunk 2077?
    The Anglo-American fad for retro electronic music is presumably vaporwave?

Yeah, vaporwave, synthwave, etc. I think they are separate enough, but as far as I know vaporwave was there before synthwave rose to prominence, so yeah.
    What are the two games? Is the first one Cyberpunk 2077?

To be honest, I actually don't know if there's any connection between CP2077 and the album. You see, there was this Eighties-era role-playing game titled "Cyberpunk 2020". The album is titled "Nightgrad", the fictional Night City being the default setting of the game, and the title is written in a typeface resembling that from the cover of the game's rulebook. Nothing specific to the video game. So, technically, the band could have drawn their inspiration independently from - or, I'd say, in parallel to - CD Projekt. But even so, all the CP2077-related hype seems to have had a part in bringing back some of the popularity of cyberpunk as a genre, so in the end I believe there wouldn't be that album if not for CP2077.
  • More like a sound effects, but we don't have the General SFX Thread, so:

This year's winner of the Chopin contest is a certain Bruce Liu, from Canada. Seemed to be kinda pleasantly surprised, if I am to judge by a transcript of his reaction. (If he lived any closer I'd wonder if he's some acquaintance of Glenn, but Canada is far enough.)
    No, I don't know him.
    xD

• edited 2021-10-21 19:03:30
    I've picked up the habit of answering things in ways that work regardless of whether the question was serious or facetious, heh.

The situation keeps coming up on the internet, due to Poe's Law, so yeah.

Also, the last time I had a get-together with a musician, we screwed around with various things with me on the piano and my friend on the violin. These included the Franck violin sonata which I specially learned for the occasion, as well as me sight-reading the piano part to the Tchaikovsky violin concerto, and us belching out the melody and accompaniment of "Bad Apple" on our respective instruments. Yes, the Touhou remix song.
    TOUHOU HIJACK LOL

whole playlist here
    ...it seems there has not yet been a rendition of Bad Apple using a geiger counter or a McDonald's ice cream machine, contrary to the suggestions of people in comments.

I usually stick to fake commie music (ie. sovietwave), but there's like two genuinely commie songs that I'm into. (I prefer to avoid genuinely Nazi stuff, in case you were about to ask, but likewise I like one or two songs from, ahem, their fanboys. Also, if you listen to black metal, you kind of have to accept that sooner or later the bands you listen to will most likely turn out to live up to the expectations, if you know what I mean.) This one gets like the bonus points for being so bombastic.