If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM: Modern phones don't have replaceable batteries.
    Oh gosh this.
  • edited 2021-07-21 17:52:55
    It took about 20 hours spread through three days (15 if you discount the one I stubbornly hoped I could get something done that day), but I got a new ID card. I needed it for a bunch of stuff.
    Edit: Apparently I'm still too exhausted to compose a post.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Hello. I'm gacek, and I am... I am a troper.

*everyone: hello gacek*

I watched a TV series, and now I keep thinking of it in terms of TVT entry. Which tropes, how to provide a description, so on, and all in English since that's the language of the wiki. Feels awkward, man.

^ tbh it sounds like a criminally nasty prank, rather than hurr durr ima gonna kill them dejuneradzz. Which, in some odd way, feels like a kind of a relief in comparison.

Also: TIL of a pierogi fest
  • I remember I used to be able to get into that mentality, but only as a conscious thing, something I kept in mind when I was aware that work's trope page could use some love.
    I wonder what that place is like nowadays, last I checked (not long ago) the forums were pretty much unchanged from eons ago.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Just proved to myself that duct tape and a length of string are the go-to material in computer maintenance as well.

Also, I might be off for like a week. Even sad loser no-lifes must take a break once in a while. (Nah, not from you guys, but it might infringe on my internet access.)
  • Awww. Alright, see ya soon, I'll try to pic dump the images thread more to make up for your absence.
    Stay safe and have fun, lrdgck!
    so, uh, well, I'm back
    Welcome back!
  • Glad to have you back here.
    thnx guys

Yeah, it was a bit shorter than I expected. Like, I kinda-sorta knew how long will it take, but I had my mind set on a week somehow. Anyways, it's fun to feel like a part of community.
  • edited 2021-08-08 22:56:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Rock/Paper/Scissors in argumentation:

Rock: hold one's opinion strongly and insist on it loudly, overwhelming the opposition. Beats principled argumentation by overpowering it. Weak to clever argumentation, which can bait it and run circles around it.

Paper: focus on defeating opposing opinions by exploiting holes and weaknesses. Beats loud-and-proud argumentation. Weak to principled argumentation, which does not go overboard and accepts limits to its arguments.

Scissors: hold true to principles and acknowledges flaws while seeking common ground or otherwise agreeable outcomes. Beats clever argumentation that tries to mess with it. Weak to argumentation that would just overwhelm it with spam and strong emotion.
  • Also warrior/rogue/wizard.
  • I haven't made one ofthose where-did-my-free-time-go postsin a while. Actually, I know where, but I'm in denial about It.
  • Yesterday I saw a barber shop with one of those rotating swirly things (white with a red and a blue stripe), something I had never seen before outside TV.
  • edited 2021-08-22 08:14:20
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I saw a few here, though non-rotating, since that hipster fad to grow beards had begun. I can't remember ever seeing any before, say, 2010 (let's call it a convenient cut-off date). Or for that matter, more than a single barbershop catering specifically to men. These new barbers catering to hipster male clientele are these days sometimes called by the English term, because, you know, hipsters. There are words for "man who shaves other men" and some such, but they're mostly antiquated, and the generic term is apparently too unmanly (like "hairdresser", I guess) for some. (Or too un-hipster-y.)

Also on the topic of hair, a few days ago I saw a short video on parasites and now I have to live with being unable to unsee it. Well, I got what I asked for. But don't worry for me, I carry on.
    Met a guy from Venezuela today.

(He's been in the US for many years and is currently the president of a local professional organization. He briefly mentioned what country he's from.)
    This story was a somewhat trippy way to start my day.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/08/beauty-surge-laura-maylene-walter-short-story.html

Someone shared this on a politics chat.
  • edited 2021-08-31 00:34:46
    It's been a while since the last time I've talked about air conditioning.
    I have the suspicion I damaged/dislodged a tube after a filter cleanup gone awry, probably at the inlet(s?)/outlet(s?) of the evaporator. I can sometimes hear "freezing sounds" that I wasn't hearing beforehand, though they're also not too unlike what one could hear beforehand and they're only clearly audible shortly after it's turned on. Also after a long while the tube around the compressor (throttle valve?) outlet gets frozen, but only after a long while, which again I don't know if it's something that happened beforehand and it's just a consequence of the fact that the insulating foam is worn off there.
    Nonetheless that cleanup was I think over a week ago and it's been cooling fine so far, if it's been leaking refrigerant maybe it wouldn't be working as it's doing now?
  • fourteenwings wanted me to post this here:
    Remember Jussie Smollett the actor?
    The guy who paid two Nigerian brothers to attack him and claimed it was actually some guys who said "This is MAGA Country"
    When that first happened I actually did joke on IJBM that
    "If I was a famous actor with all the money in the world and undue influence over a pair of Nigerian actors, I would not waste my time on fake hate crimes"
    But I edited it out of my post because I realized it was politically incorrect and this was on the tail-end of #MeToo
    (the "undue influence" part)
    Nigerian brothers* I mean
    so anyways that's my self-censored joke
  • After delving for some time through Reddit's trolling circles, I've come to realize that the internet has been moving towards normalizing falling for bait, with people justifying doing so (sometimes knowingly) because "it's bad enough that it's believable" or "it started a conversation" or whatever, all with the underlying tone that what's important is that it works a reason to be outraged.
    Now, I have that feeling that I have something to add to this...

Like, yeah, bait as a conversation starter. Feels like I have seen that happen a few times. I'm not sure how much it is the classical bait, the "obvious falsehood to troll the gullible" kind, and how much folks are just opinionated and stupid.
    I'm not sure it's due to gullibility or opinionatedness or stupidity but it might just be that people are curious about a thing and check it out even if they think it's crap anyway. So, curiosity.
    Happy Cirno Day!
  • I knew I was forgetting something. I guess the day is not as it was 12 years ago.
    Still, Happy Cirno Day!
    my latest hobby:

instead of just shutting down the computer, playing a game of "what processes can I kill before I cause Win10 to bluescreen"

so i have Services and Task Manager open (and sorted by disk usage) and i check out what each service does before killing it and i also see whether it restarts
  • Finally, I'll be getting chipped tomorrow. Praise Bill Gates!
    Now, the 5G holocaust will finally commence in Venezuela!
  • edited 2021-09-13 00:38:35
    I slept a lot yesterday, I believe that was a side effect of the Mark of the Beast. Though I don't think I can use that as an excuse as to why I did nothing productive the whole day.
    Anyhows, I just finished reading a telling of the (real) story of a guy who chatted with an OpenAI simulation of his deceased girlfriend. I thought it was interesting.