If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• I spent nearly ten hours doing a line to renew my ID card (the one I lost last year and expired on February of this year anyways.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I hope it worked, after so much time put into it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I'm a little confused what this has to do with videogames, but glad to hear you got your ID card renewed.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I thought he meant some sort of premium account, believe it or not. Lol me.
  • edited 2021-07-17 17:54:33
    Army commander argues in favour of buffs, leaks classified tank specifications.
    Choice quote:
    Gaijin [the company] actually has protocol for dealing with classified documents.
    Putting the "war" in "flame war".
    Played some Stellaris. Everything went more-or-less fine, my Sad Frogs won a border war for a choke point system, submitted to a Khan for a while until he died, conquered an empire of genocidal space lizards, everything was on the right track. Dyson sphere construction going on, megashipyard in a fortress system, the like. But then two Fallen Empires awakened at once and both declared war on me for trying to stay out of their mess. Thought it's gonna be fine with my ~80000 fleet power, turned out both have multiple fleets of 120000. Could keep stalling, but after a while I took the ragequit route.
    [10:50 AM] Quint Lindwurm: oh SHIT
    [10:50 AM] Quint Lindwurm: one time Mudae is right on the spelling and i'm wrong
    [10:51 AM] Quint Lindwurm: it apparently really is Irias Reginleif
    [10:51 AM] Quint Lindwurm: rather than Reginlelf
    [10:52 AM] Quint Lindwurm: hahahahahaha
  • Got it. Thanks!
    I haven't played a new game in ages. Maybe I should.
    Seems like I redeemed the offer when I already had this in my GOG account (I bought this game earlier), and now I have a gift copy of the game.
    GOG has Ultima Underworld and some other shizzle free till 3rd of September.
  • edited 2021-08-08 18:50:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ooh thanks!

full post with links:

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds, Syndicate Plus, and Syndicate Wars are free on GOG (until September 3rd)
    https://www.gog.com/promo/rerelease_ultima_underworld_and_syndicate

this is to celebrate the games coming back to the GOG store. (my guess is there was some publisher snafu earlier.) more details here: https://www.gog.com/news/bgrab_your_copies_of_syndicate_plus_syndicate_wars_and_ultima_underworld_i_iib
  • Ah, it's a bummer that those Ultima Underworld games are only available in English, I felt like playing something like a traditional WRPG (which I assume those games are). Well, I'll probably play them anyways.
    Regardless, thanks!

• I hadn't heard of parasitic game design outside TCGs. Though some of the examples make it sound like it can be a good thing.
    Yeah, this video portrays "parasitic systems" as bad things, but I don't necessarily agree with that value judgement.

To be fair, he seems to be mostly talking about MMORPGs, which is a genre I largely haven't played.

But even so, he just seems to be describing, basically, minigame mechanics. (Oh yeah, I'd have used the word "mechanics" rather than "systems".) Or perhaps, minigame mechanics that can do some things outside of minigames.

I'm not sure these are necessarily bad things? They just give the player more options, even if some of those options might not feel fully-featured.

Probably one big difference in the games I play though is that I tend to play games that are already "finished". Like, I can count two games I've played a lot of that have been continuously (to varying degrees) updated -- 100% Orange Juice and Team Fortress 2.

Among other games I play, there definitely are mechanics that don't interact much with other mechanics, like dungeon-specific things such as Cave Magnes in FF4, or (sometimes large) minigames such as the Ancient Cave in Lufia 2, which do feel a bit gimmicky due to their not being implemented elsewhere, but don't necessarily seem bad because of it.
  • In MtG's case it's bad because It goes against the idea that the cards in one set are to mesh with the rest of the cards, detracting from one of the game's main attractions. But it's not obvious to me why the same principle applies to other game's, including MMORPGs.
    Also, I'm not convinced his WoW examples even fall under the definition of parasitic; garrisons, artifacts and to a lesser extent the Heart of Azeroth greatly affected* several parts of the core game (your character's stats, abilities, professions, questing, whatevs), the YouTuber seems to consider them parasitic on the basis that they weren't intended to stay relevant forever, but I don't see why that's an important factor, given that in the meantime they're the glue that keeps their expansions together and give them their identity, gimmicky as they may feel. Under the same logic all MtG sets are parasitic since most of the cards in them aren't expected to stay relevant in the long term. That person's problem seems to be the planned obsolescence behind WoW's expansions.
    (Also, garrisons persisted in different, toned-down form in later expansions, and the Heart of Azeroth is a toned-down artifact. Strictly speaking they're different mechanics/system so I'd say they're still "parasitic", but it does mean they ended up affecting core game.)
    I thought it was a good video but the more I think about it, the more issues with it I find. I think I'll stick to only using the game in the context of TCGs.
    Curiously, around the same time I watched a video stating that Pokémon's problem was the exact opposite, attempting to maintain age-old features forever (mainly the pokes).
    Pokémon did throw out a bunch of old moves in Gen VIII, for what it's worth. They just can't be used anymore. And I think some mons just can't be acquired in any way? not sure.

• Whoa, I didn't know Doom mods could get that elaborate.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    Ha, Zombies Ate My Neighbors Doom.

Yeah, there are some elaborate Doom conversions out there. "Pirates!" is another one of my favorites.
    https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/06/25/from-fantasy-to-reality-our-partnership-with-nis-america/

Took me a while to get around to get around to sharing this, but this is awesome.

TL;DR the fan-translators of the two Crossbell games, Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure, have basically become "ascended fans" -- the translations that they've worked on for years (plus other work, even stuff like the logo design) will be used as the basis for the official translations for these games.
  • I sometimes wonder why it doesn't happen more often, you'd think it'd be a good way to get good, cheap work done. Legal/liability issues maybe?
    Yeah, probably.
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/beta-rollback-update

tl;dr a way to download old game versions via the command line use of Steam has been removed in the Steam Beta

detailed guide on how to mess with the appmanifest file: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885555151
    can probably combine this with file permissions to get a desired effect with regards to preserving an already-installed version
    more technical details on the change on Steam: https://steamdb.info/blog/manifest-request-codes/

this does go beyond just needing Depot Downloader
  • Ahh, that's another game I've heard of often recently (perhaps from you?). Good to have it, though now that I have it, the "you only want it because you don't have it" effect is gone and I probably won't play it. Still, thanks!
    Also I see that PC Building Simulator is next in line for freedom, that's another game that's been getting my attention.
  • edited 2021-10-01 06:14:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I have definitely noticed that I seem to be dedicating more time to looking at games I'm interested in buying, due to looking at wishlists and sales notifications, than games in my already-acquired collection, on average.

I noticed a similar problem in anime, where I'd spend more time looking for new anime to be interested in only to just add it to my want-to-watch list and then not watch it because I just didn't have the opportunity at the time.

I haven't solved the first one yet, though I've cut down on my rate of purchasing things anyway. Meanwhile, I solved the second by eventually accumulating so many things on my WTW that I can just use that to find stuff to watch, instead of going searching for stuff in the wider pool of the entire medium.

Also I'm amused at seeing the word "freedom" being used to refer to "free as in free beer".
    PC Building

I read that as "building a PC", thought it's a bit odd to make a game about building a computer, and in search of other possible meaning I came upon "Politically Correct Building". Which would be quite a thing, you know, you as the player having to manage separate water fountains for blacks and whites so as to avoid microaggressions, and the lot.