If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Having your favourite music played at your funeral is nothing, real departing is in becoming your favourite music.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    There must be a secret option that they will leave in barely-audible scratches and subsonic sounds, so the listeners will be slowly driven crazy thinking you're haunting them.

(Doesn't work if you press yourself into a Lustmord album; Lustmord does that by default.)
  • The other day I learned about babby's first computer proof assistant. It got me a while to get the grasp of what the software actually does, but I think I have the hang of it now. I'm currently halfway through Addition World, proving additive association took me longer than I'd like to admit.
    Also the pump's problem again was sulphate within the pressure switch's contacts, it worked again after I cleaned it up, which is a good thing since the other tank was out of water.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Out of curiosity (and low price in that dig-it-up-for-yourself book bin at a supermarket), I bought a booklet with hunting tips. I tell ya, this felt like possibly the chaddest thing I have ever read. Around here, the stereotypical hunter is a red-faced mustachioed uncle type who keeps fondly reminiscing about the commie times, but in the 'States (the author was American), it feels like every other of them is a square-jawed retired commando or someone like that.
    I just found a screw in my bread. Good luck I chewed slowly.
  • I've found screws and other stuff (usually pebbles) more than once, although I don't think I've had that problem with bread. Makes you wonder what kind of things you didn't notice and swallowed instead.
    Indeed. Say what you want, but a spider at least won't break your teeth.

I might have eaten a number of spoiled or mouldy items, but that's a different story, mostly about me not realizing I shouldn't have.
  • TIL about the real-life version of the xenomorph two mouths thing.
    > leftover frosting from Easter cake
    > rum
    > ice
    > realize frosting is citrus juice plus sugar
    > make daiquiri
    > profit
    > contains crumbs though
    > doesn't matter
  • edited 2021-04-05 01:44:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM:

it looks like "die-KEY-ree" but everyone says "dackery"

okay so Wiktionary says that it's named after the Cuban town of Daiquirí

so it should be "die key REE" in English pronunciation
  • This is why the spelling and pronunciation of all loanwords should be adapted to those of the language being spoken.
    I just learned about the time Australians waged was against birds and... well, they didn't lose but they didn't exactly win either:
    The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Emus

apparently this is an entire category
    If I remember correctly, there was a bit of an edit war on Wikipedia's entry on Emu War over the addition of a conflict box. You know, the one they add to wars.

Here's a link to the version that contains it: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Emu_War&oldid=745807409
  • edited 2021-04-05 20:46:13
    Disappointingly, it seems to have settled on not classifying it as an actual military conflict, considering that someone was citing consensus against using the military conflict infobox, after what was reportedly some extensive conversations on the talk page (which are no longer visible).

There now seems to be some ongoing disagreement over whether the emus count as participants in the historical event.
    It's snowy today.
    Snowy again. Fug.
  • If I saw snow I'd probably get all excited and try to make a snowman or something. Supposedly I'd start hating it after a while.
    You said it, but thing is: a) not enough of it for a snowman (is "snowperson" more politically correct?), and b) it's fugging mid-April.

I could rant for a good while on the weather, believe me. I mean, I'm no winter hater. This winter we actually had like two weeks of consistent snowiness, which I was pretty fine with, because I like the winter to look like winter for at least a few weeks, and for the last few years it failed to deliver. But then, when the time is for the weather to get warmer, I do not wish to see a sudden snowfall. Was like T-shirt weather a week ago, and now it's back to snow.

Curiously enough, there is an old folk saying that April is a bit winter, a bit summer. With all the global warming shizzle going on, I did not expect I'll have another opportunity to see it in practice.

Somewhere in Poland, there is a schoolchild who failed to drown their effigy of Marzanna.

Now I'm wondering what could be the Venezuelan equivalent in terms of "fun for a while, tedious in long term". Torrential downpour?
  • Nah, downpours are as awful as they look.
    Speaking of weather, today was so humid it was impossible not to get all sweaty, even when not outdoors. It seemed like it was going to rain all day through but it didn't rain until almost the evening.
    You got me to check if Derrida is still alive. (He isn't.)
  • edited 2021-04-20 08:41:37
    I was looking up the details of what turned out to be a Peruvian band that barely has any online presence and which I know of only because my parents bought one of their albums on a trip to Peru, and somehow I ended up running across the following in one search result:

https://en.calameo.com/books/0000801987063d8a51567

look, I know I like both Latin stuff and Japanese pop culture, but you're doing it wrong
  • edited 2021-04-20 06:46:41
    oh, said Peruvian band is Sentir Latino. We have their album titled Folclor Latinoamericano.
  • That reminds me...
    *checks*
    Yep, Jersey to Yukai na Nakamatachi have kept making Andean folk Touhou remixes, so that's good (at least I assume that's what they are; they aren't on Youtube).
    You know guys, I just realized UFOs are a cosmic horror story. As in, the UFOs as seen by ufologists and conspiracy theorists, not so much by military investigations, although those are considered a part of the mythos by the former two.

You are forced to realize that there are forces out there beyond your comprehension, to which you or all of humankind are nothing in comparison, and which you can at best hope they are well-intentioned or can be reasoned with because that at least obscures the truth enough that you can hope for a glimmer of meaning in it.

Like, The X-Files are a fun conspiracy monster-of-the-week show until the myth arc kicks in, where it turns out you can't help, it's all gonna end, and the bad guys are the closest to actual good guys since there is a slim chance their scheming might just preserve some of humanity.

I think I might've even read it somewhere that there already were attempts to link Lovecraft's writing to the modern UFO mythos. Well, replace squids with grays, or even don't since Mi-Go are already there, and you're good to go, so there's some merit to this hypothesis.

What do you think? Does it make sense? I'm curious.

Also, I put it in Updates because there doesn't seem to be a point in trying elsewhere, but I'm leaving it up for Glenn whether it stays here.
    If it were me I would probably have posted that in a new thread if I wanted to start a whole discussion on it, but if I didn't, I'd just have stuck it here too.

And, jumping back to me actually being me, I personally don't have much to add to this topic. I guess you might have a point, though I think this might be generalizable as just projecting "fear of the unknown" onto aliens in general. Which is how a lot of other horror stuff works anyway.

Meanwhile I ran across this link in a Steam thread, about how some games are pushing monetization methods: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/video-games-you-play-are-using-sneaky-tactics-four-corners/100098826

The info is probably stuff you already know, if you've been following commentary about the videogame industry in recent years, but the article is admittedly presented in a rather cute fashion.
  • It's important that in a cosmic horror work there's an element of humanity/Earth/life not mattering in the grand scheme of things, which is contradicted by things like alien abductions or conquest. Or rather, that's what I keep hearing from the million arguments about cosmic horror being done wrong everywhere, I've never read an actual cosmic horror work.
    Which brings me to something I had been thinking about for a while after watching a video that touches on it tangentially: you often hear about how works with body horror, tentacled fish monsters, unpronounceable names etc. etc. are doing Lovecraftian horror wrong, but it strikes me as undue to expect its narrative to also follow Lovecraftian horror, like there's something wrong with drawing inspiration from the aesthetics and nothing more. It's as expecting any work with Frankenstein-esque monsters to be about playing God.
    You know what, that's a good point. But before I reply: Glenn, at this point I'm thinking I'll agree with you. Can you move that post and your replies to some other thread? Like, we had a Bookclub thread long ago, perhaps it's a fit, I'd rather see it there than found another.
    Found the book club thread. Now to excise posts from this thread to that one...
  • edited 2021-05-05 02:48:02
    I can't move posts to another existing thread.  I can only split them to a new thread. =(

What would you like to do?

>