If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    For example, it's possible to go somewhere, shitpost (or post whatever), and come back. If you were living in a small group somewhere, with no internet, you'd need to come up with other ways to let out anger, frustrations, desires, etc. aside from "find someone else at whom to express this".
    Is this sort of self-compartmentalization healthy?
    Which thing are you referring to?

Also for some reason I feel like I've encountered this question from you before but I forget when.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Which thing are you referring to?

I guess creating separate identities to deal with your frustrations, rather than properly learning to deal with them as yourself.

If you don't rely too hard on the internet, you learn to deal with things better, I mean. It's much harder, but much more beneficial in the long term.
    Also @fourteenwings I remember hearing that you got banned from Allspark but apparently I remembered incorrectly.

Mr. Pugilist is hard at work trying to make this happen right now (though not on purpose).
  • edited 2021-01-05 11:54:16
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Feeling all argued out right now, but I will say that my initial instincts of hashing things out here not only paid off, but you guys also played a big part in me not losing my sanity.

GMH, I'm surprised to find that you are indeed one of the more eloquent arguers on the internet as far as I've found in my experience, and unfortunately I'm guessing Mr. Pugilist and Mr. High School Debate (yeah, I remembered) will certainly get into something eventually (but probably not soon).

So yeah, I think my long-form arguing improved a lot, my research skills (aka Google Fu) have increased by several standard deviations, and I take things on the chin better.

More importantly, probably partly through my actions, engagement in this place has dropped to an even more abysmal level than I'm used to. I think I'll be trying everything I can to get one of you guys to post (short of starting a massively heated political thing).
  • edited 2021-01-06 11:28:15
    I want to be a dapper man of the new decade but there are many old books I'm yet to read and languages I wish to learn.

In other words; Already attempting to justify procrastination 6 days into the new decade.
    Me, Yesterday: I'm gonna watch the first episode of So Cosmo in the morning!
    The World; HAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • So I had my molar removed. I was concerned, as I was having a hard time finding a place were I could have that done, but I found it.
    I hadn't had any tooth removed before so I was nervous. It was super fast, also very violent (something I'd expect from a cartoon) but it almost didn't hurt at all, although it did feel weird having all that stuff being done in your mouth.
    A good chunk of my face is itchy, another is numb. As I understand, it'll hurt for real in the upcoming weeks, but for now I'm relieved that this part is over.
    So I had my molar removed.

Ouch. Good luck and such.
    also very violent

Yeah I'm quite surprised at how dentistry works out IRL.
  • edited 2021-01-08 15:05:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ I was about to post about internet arguments but this feels weird after yours.

I also got ninja'd by fourteenwings.
  • edited 2021-01-08 15:46:48
    I am in the middle of zen-ning out as hard as possible so whatever.

well that sure didn't work out
    Look; GMH, you gave me a verbal ban warning after I posted the most innocuous joke I could think of. In no way did I even try to denigrate the person in question, what I described was basically a sitcom plot.

It's not like I was looking to specifically make the joke either, it fell into my lap whilst discussing something else.

I had actually lulled myself into believing that the whole reason I wanted to leave was my own selfishness, but it's clear that's not the case.

Yesterday, as we fought over... whatever, I can't even remember now, I felt literally frazzled. I don't want to constantly argue about stupid political specifics when we both know we'll never agree. The only reason I'm still doing it is to present the side that is never presented. But yesterday, it was all just too much, so I tried to check out.

I guess it's not your fault that you didn't let me, but it is that you threatened to ban me over practically nothing.

I want to stay here, and I value you guys' friendship. I've given this place a lot of my time and effort, and I've never tried to offend even those I highly disagree with when opposition wasn't warranted.

That I was presented as a bigot by one of my closest friends and threatened with a ban is not a good feeling.
  • I'm guessing this is about this line?:
    (And I'll be frank, I've been criticized for not simply outright banning you for transphobia.)
    I didn't read that as a ban warning, although I was also confused as to where that was coming from (let alone when it said "homophobia" instead). Perhaps Glenn can elaborate?
    I'm guessing this is about this line?

It is.
  • edited 2021-01-09 09:36:32
    Alright, it makes more sense on a re-read. Well, the GG article is still stupid and I still don't understand how it came to be in what's definitely not a slow news day.
    Nonetheless, Glenn's point is only tangential to it*, and important nonetheless, so... yeah, elaboration is probably good.
    On unrelated stuff, TIL James Randi died a while ago last year. May he rest in peace.
    *(Harassment campaign vs. genderwank, social media platform vs. a forum with five regulars (at the time), whatever else I'm missing.)
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    On unrelated stuff, TIL James Randi died a while ago last year. May he rest in peace.

*oh, this guy*

You know, it would be really amusing if his ghost now haunted some lecture hall or something like that.
    Nonetheless, Glenn's point is only tangential to it*, and important nonetheless, so... yeah, elaboration is probably good.

To be charitable; I think there might be a misunderstanding because of what I'd posted before it and then how he framed his answer if he was referring just to the GG thing. Therefore, the two may be somewhat unrelated.

So if this was a context thing I can understand that it was just bad timing and we can all move on, but if it was related to what I'd said then... yeah I dunno.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    FYI it was not a ban warning. I guess I should have clarified this.

It was a statement of what seemed like a relevant fact, as it's directly related to the line above -- "TL;DR their point is that the dedication to free speech and a hands-off approach was hijacked by people who realized they could get away with nasty things."
    I guess I should have clarified this.

Well, it's fine now.

I mean, this whole thing was as GMH and 14w as possible so add that to our growing history.

To be entirely honest, I was extremely worried for about 12 hours there so it's good to have this cleared up.
  • I was told having my molar removed would hurt for a long while, but after a ciuple hours it hasn't hurt in the least. Perhaps I should've had it done much earlier. I was told I should have another cleanup, though, those definitely hurt.
    Given the US Capitol thing I've browsed for a good while looking at memes and whatever, and haven't done anything actually productive due to it (well, I did do some 3D work on Sunday, so that's something). I think it's time for me to give it a rest.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I was told having my molar removed would hurt for a long while, but after a ciuple hours it hasn't hurt in the least. Perhaps I should've had it done much earlier. I was told I should have another cleanup, though, those definitely hurt.

virgin anyone else: had tooth pulled, hurt so much, plz hug *sob*

chad Stormtroper: had tooth pulled, barely even noticed, will have another just to feel something
  • edited 2021-01-12 07:22:31
    tbh I'm still terrified about that cleanup.
    Anyhows, I fixed a blender, or maybe I made it worse. After an accident involving careless relatives using a knife to scrape the container's walls while it was running, the blades weren't rotating as easily as they should. I noticed some brown liquid leaking from its bearing (probably lubricant), so I thought maybe something inside its bearing broke. I tried to unscrew it open (as some do) to no avail, I didn't force it but after a while it wasn't rotating at all. As it turns out the inner ring (not a literal ring, but an elongated cylinder with slotted ends and a wall inside) is one of those you can pry open, as I found out when it accidentally fell off. As it turns out part of the ring broke inside, making it so only about half of its end connects with the blades' slot. Maybe it broke because I was trying to unscrew it (though considering the leak, probably not). I removed the broken off part, put some skin grease on it and reassembled it, it's now rotating about as easily as it did before the accident, though there's no guarantee that it'll continue like that.
    Edit: Nope, all it took was some water for it to come apart.
    After an accident involving careless relatives using a knife to scrape the container's walls while it was running

Having read that, I hesitated to read the rest of the post. But then, you only mentioned the blender as in need of fixing, so, well, you know.
  • edited 2021-01-13 04:21:38
    I don't think it'd be too dangerous, I doubt the blades could hit the knife hard enough to make it fly off or anything. Also, maybe it wasn't a knife after all.
    I've since learned that my mother tested it by running the blender with the blades connected, but without the container on, now that's dangerous. (Like most (all?) blenders, it's the container what prevents the blades from flying off.)
    Also, googling for blender stuff is made harder by search results about Blender, and vice versa.
    In unrelated matters, I've been feeling unusually anxious lately for some reason. Also I'm having very irregular sleep patterns. Perhaps I should go to sleep now.
  • I survived another trip to the dentist, unfortunately I still have another appointment for next week. In addition to the cleanup, turns out I had a bunch of food leftovers where my molar used to be, and it actually kind of hurt to have them removed.
    Regardless, apparently I'm getting used to having dentists inflict suffering on me.
  • edited 2021-01-25 06:17:18
    I just learned that the Monument to Half of the World, the one that's supposed to be at the equator, is located 240m away from it.
    Also, the law has spoken: the X-Men are not human.
    Edit: Wait, what I had written made no sense.
    Been editing TVT recently. I keep away from the forums, but still add something to the wiki once in a while.
  • It's been a long time since I've gotten caught up in a TVT wiki walk, though once in a while I still use it to look something up.
    When I left I still had several YKTTW entries pending work/launch, I wonder if someone's taken them over or made other entries for the same tropes.
    I'd ask, how 'bout checking them, but saying that feels like offering a drink to a recovering alcoholic. Especially after having spent a good part of the previous day on what I just described.

But, anyway. By once in a while, I mean that it is infrequent, but I still do it occasionally. Most of the time the wiki serves me as an all-purpose film/literature/videogame database with an eye on internet drama surrounding the given work.
  • edited 2021-01-25 16:23:33
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Funny you mention TVT, because the original Trash Heap of the TV Tropes Forum finally got locked on the TVT forum, due apparently to a user starting drama in it. This has led to and/or been part of a larger controversy on the forum where it seems the mods (or maybe just Fighteer) want to crack down on some of the faster, wilder, more random threads on Yack Fest. At least one or two other threads have gotten locked, I think.

This in turn led me to doing some posting myself, first to comment on the Trash Heap thread (which I personally started, nearly 11 years ago), and then to comment in a few other threads.

I've rarely visited the TVTF, and for some number of years I pretty much only ever posted in the Trash Heap thread, because it was the only place I felt fond enough to just jump into and post in.

It remains to be seen whether I'll actually stick around and post more.
    I remember seeing recently some post by AHR, she said she found out her long-forgotten password to an old account on an old computer, or something. Overall the post gave me an impression of, you know, that sort of class reunion feel on her part.