If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Silly geographical comments (or whatever you'd call this)

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Meawhile in Poland: 12 trapped in cemetery after lockdown

...yeah, the Party decreed a three-day lockdown on cemeteries and graveyards, official reason being to prevent transmission during Day of the Dead visits. Folks rushed to visit their dear departed before the deadline (heh heh, "DEADline"), and these twelve failed to clear the premises in time.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    This sounds like an episode of Parks & Recreation.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Meanwhile in Russia: sausage king murdered by crossbow
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    explain this please
  • edited 2020-11-03 18:58:16
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    An oligarch in meat industry, nicknamed the "king of sausages", has been murdered in his personal sauna, apparently by crossbow.

edit: apparently it's weird enough to become an article on Cracked: https://www.cracked.com/article_28912_russian-sausage-king-murdered-with-crossbow-in-sauna.html
    unknown.png
    I just imagined a run-down trailer somewhere deep in Appallachian woodland, guarded by a kangaroo fending off any snitches and other nosy locals who could expose the meth lab located therein; fed a steady diet of house meth, it is not likely to ignore, let alone leave by any tresspassers.
    Meanwhile in Poland: half-meter-long piranha found in [Polish lake]. Nicknamed "the balls-cutter"

As one commenter points out, the fish was tough, November in Poland ain't exactly got Amazonian temperature ranges.

(Also, the article was behind a paywall so I can't say anything about any balls having actually been cut off.)
    Recent developments have revealed that the Durban government handed a major housing contract to a woman who describes herself primarily as a "socialite".

It went about as well as you'd expect.
    Meanwhile in Poland: eight firefighter teams needed after oxygen-treated patient fancies a smoke

Or if you prefer it this way: Polish Man lights a cigarette while in oxygen therapy, causes a fire
    Meanwhile in Poland: Peppa Pig responsible for 12,000 mutant crayfish

Meanwhile in Poland: burnt car full of human bones proven stolen from archaeologist

One commenter joked "I'd like to see the face of the thief when he saw what's in the trunk". I'm thinking it's quite imaginable that was the reason why the stolen car was dumped in a forest and set on fire. With that said, I pity the archaeologist, who got his car stolen and destroyed because the thief chickened out. (Admittedly, his car was never likely to come back, but still.)
    Meanwhile in Poland: robot spouts anti-government slogans, swear words on anti-government protest

(Music from one of Cyberpunk 2077 trailers added by whoever posted it on Youtube.)
    Where's Waldo?

In Waldo County, Maine!

That's also where this happened:
    Meanwhile, in Idaho:

Meanwhile, in Kentucky:

^ Yeah, I'd heard about that one.

----

Florida Man confirms that Florida university specifically has a burrowing owl, known amongst local fauna, and not just any own, as mascot: http://www.fau.edu/mascot/
  • edited 2020-12-07 21:58:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Things that are located in Florida:

Naples
    Venice
    Melbourne
    Panama City
    St. Petersburg
    Hollywood
    Sunset Strip
    Lorida

Things that are not located in Florida:

Florida Farm and Ice Company
    Miami University
    Lorida is definitely my favourite out of all of these.
    ...did I delete a fourteenwings post in this thread by mistake? I feel like I've seen a response to my post but I can't see it here now, and I don't think non-mods can delete their own posts here.
    My only recent reply about Florida was in IJBMU.
    Ah, I was thinking of that one, that's why I couldn't find it here.
  • edited 2020-12-10 17:51:38
    lrdgck wrote: »
    wyoming ain't florida

for all i know it's just prairie, boring
    A few thoughts:

Well, first, it's actually kinda mountainous. Got a combination of agriculture/ranchland and less plainsy stuff (some of which is used for resource extraction). FWIW, the famed Yellowstone National Park is in the NW corner.

I've been to Wyoming once, as a tourist. I've been curious about how what the state economy is like there. Far as I can guess (and apparently supported by Wikipedia), it's tourism and resource extraction and agriculture.

We stopped by Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks in the NW, Devils Tower National Monument in the northeast, and a few places in between. I think I may have mentioned that we stayed at a small inn and RV park a little ways east of Yellowstone, where across the street or behind the property or so there was this building that someone was building on their own, over the course of years, and it stands like three stories tall but then the builder died and it's just sat there unfinished since then.

We also stopped by Cheyenne where we attended the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo. I think I liked it more than my mom, who isn't really into this sort of stuff.

Wyoming is also the least populous state. As a kid I'd thought it'd be Alaska but I was wrong.

Also there was that one time Jane (I forget what name she used on here but she goes by Jane nowadays) was playing GeoGuessr and the random location she got was on some road where the first building that she came across was a lonely building housing a small adult entertainment establishment with a "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS" sign on the side. I looked up the last time I mentioned this and it turns out it's a little north of Casper, Wyoming, which is sorta around the middle of the state. Or, rather, it was, as Google says this strip club, Northern Dreams, is now permanently closed.

Speaking of Casper, I just now found out that this is a thing:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_School_for_the_Deaf
    Or was, rather. The school, which opened in 1961, closed down in 2000, and as of the last edit to this page, there are currently disputes over whether the school building, built in 1963, will be torn down.
  • edited 2021-01-12 03:40:27

N.B. Gatorland is an actual tourist attraction.
    140992366-3572589306142739-8879825381929034922-o-png-nc-cat-109-ccb-2-nc-sid-730e14-nc-ohc-tx-KF0z.png

It's an image, but an image of a screenshot of a news report, so I'm counting it.
  • I wonder what that guy's categorical imperative is and what it says about shooting at people.
    Two recent cases of meanwhile in Poland and one of meanwhile in Belarus:
    Duck-shaped snowman deemed terrorist threat
    Police to investigate snowman with anti-government slogan
    Snowman maker accused of staging illegal demonstration
    ...damn, I can't tell which one's not Poland.