If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A thread about architecture, buildings, and interior design

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I haven't really paid attention to whose videos these are, generally. (fourteenwings probably hates me for this lol)

Link me your faves =D

also what do you mean by "brownish"?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    >.>

<.<

It's like, for some reason almost every single of these copycat channels involves some kind of South or Southeast Asian folks. (I can't tell by looks - Indian? Filipino?)

Like, this Russian guy clearly has something else in mind than just piggybacking on the popularity of the guy behind Primitive Technology.

I remember some commenter claiming somebody actually makes money by hiring them and having them act the part in these videos, but it was a comment on YouTube, so I'm not going to accept this claim as hard fact without a really good reason. So, yeah. In the end, who knows? Perhaps primitive technology youtubing really is that popular in these parts of the world.
    Oh I see what you mean.

Well, the stuff she showed off is plausible, whether or not she was paid to act it.

I'd still criticize her unlit, unventilated design, though.
  • Here's an interesting design for a heating system in very cold weather. @Stormtroper for some reason I have a feeling that this is of interest to you but I'm not sure why.

mfw I'm becoming the home ambientation guy
    Just saw a video of that Russian guy (I presume he's Russian based on his accent and what @lrdgck said but I think he may have said something about being from Finland?) making a door for that house.
    He carves a door with pegs on the top and bottom of the door to serve as hinges.
    Amusingly, while real-life modern doors standardly use hinges, the only other place I've seen that door design is Lego doors.

But, it seems to work, and whatever works, works.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I saw that door trick on one of those Primitive Technology videos where the guy builds huts. I guess that when you build from scratch (i.e. a bundle of sticks and a rock) it's easier to pull it off this way than make hinges. And I guess it beats having a flap to cover the entrance.

I've seen my share of old buildings, but I'm afraid none was primitive enough not to be able to use some actual hinges.
    Yeah, it makes more sense if you're just working with the raw wood rather than having an exchangeable door piece you can swap out with other similar door pieces
  • edited 2020-10-24 10:40:45
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    (fourteenwings probably hates me for this lol)

There are like 9bn YouTube channels and I frequently dive deep into one subject (mainly fashion and influencer types) and then 2 years later I can't even remember the names of the channels I followed.
    (I can't tell by looks - Indian? Filipino?)

I always thought it was like specifically indigenous guys from some unspecified Pacific area.

The only Indian YouTube channels I can think of aside from the ones PewDewPie wants to punch in the gut are those men's salon head massage ones.
    I remember some commenter claiming somebody actually makes money by hiring them and having them act the part in these videos,

I think there are a lot of Influencer Networks or even entire channel models out there run by social media managers but like if you saw this in a YouTube comment it was like 1000% conjecture.

I think this is more popular on instagram because stables of people making photos is easier to manage, but I remember there was a big thing a few years ago because a group of beauty YouTubers were using sets in some abandoned (well, it had been abandoned before they started using it) loft in a big city to stand in for "bedrooms". That is to say, the "bedrooms" were faux-walls built in the middle of an open-plan studio loft area.

When they were caught out they all had a coordinated thing about how it improved their "lighting".
  • edited 2020-12-10 20:58:13
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Speaking of Wyoming,

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1009-N-Durbin-N_Casper_WY_82601_M91506-16285

Here's a thing. A raised ranch, with combined living/family/kitchen area up top (with what should be a full bath up there as well), and downstairs there's just one bedroom...if it can even be called a room, since there's no door between it and the upstairs.

This old (1928), though refurbished, house's floorplan ironically ends up looking plausibly like something that might show up in a JRPG.
  • edited 2020-12-10 21:11:12
    Normal-looking raised ranch with one car garage...plus a second, detached garage, with a huge loft on top of it, complete with extra balcony.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1741-Glendale-Ave_Casper_WY_82601_M73325-87475

Probably makes for good Christmas decorating, or watching whatever from your...quite lofty balcony.

If I had infinite time on my hands I'd build a way to get up onto the roof of the main building and then build a bridge between that and the loft. Right now the loft's balcony is a dead-end, and so it feels a bit pointless to go up there, unless I guess you're trying to get away from it all without getting away from it all, or something. The diagonal wooden-looking tiles suggest something out of a restaurant or clubhouse, which gives it a feel that's distinct from the rest of the house.

Also the loft room itself has AC (and the exercise machine suggests an example use), but it lacks plumbing/water. Would be nice if it had plumbing. Then again, if you get sufficiently creative, you could bring water up there yourself. Camp in your own house!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/evilbuildings/

This is a subreddit that should fit right in with this thread.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Looking through Amazon sometimes I come across these odd wood hobby sets. Some of them really catch my eye.

Like this nautical shed;

d1BwgAv.jpg

I love the colors (that stark primary/royal blue is killer), the open plan lower-deck, and the whole thing is just stuffed to the gills with stuff. I bet you have to set it up with tweezers or similar.

wDV8cq7.jpg
    02WUp7t.jpg

A more typical seaside house. I love the upper deck.

qJqBljd.jpg

A city-style apartments inner workings. Some of the decoration may be a bit off, but I love the bedroom/study and plant-area set up.

Building one of these would probably take time (days, apparently), patience, and lots of extra mini-equipment that doesn't come in the box.

They do make me long for my LEGO and/or MCX days though.
  • edited 2021-02-11 08:23:26

ehhhh

While the bedroom cluttered with toys and the futon-on-the-floor aren't quite my thing, I definitely appreciate the cozy feel of the house.

My only qualm is that I'm not sure how much cleaning I'd have to do to make sure it's free of pests before I move in. I'd probably change out the carpeting, for starters.

Given that the only full bathroom is in the basement, I think it's entirely logical to have a master bedroom in the basement. I wouldn't go with what they have for a bed -- I'd at least put a bed on a platform. But a bedroom in the basement is arguably quite nice and cozy. My only concern about that is that there may be buildup of radon gas in the basement, in the long run.

And the exposed plumbing in the second bedroom is, frankly, not an issue, in my opinion. While it may make some furniture placement more difficult, with sufficient creativity it becomes a noteworthy fixture of the room itself, being a platform for decorations and/or other uses. (For example, it's quite handy for tying a string or rope around it and something else, to create a clothesline or a horizontal string for almost any other purpose.)

One reason their bedrooms feel so cluttered is because the bedrooms aren't that big while their beds are these full-featured bedframes, and I'm pretty sure the son's bed is a full-size bed itself, even if the two bunked beds are twin-size. For keeping storage space for this much stuff, especially in the girls' room, I would have suggested beds that can be folded up, and for the boy, replacing it with a twin-size bed is a good start. The boy also seems old enough that we can use dorm-room-style space-saving -- for example, lofting his bed so that his desk or other storage can go beneath it. That said, the boy's room doesn't seem that cluttered anyway.

Also, those houses that are used as comparisons...yes, I get the point that they are far less cluttered and look a lot more "clean" and open and spacious, which is definitely nice. But I'll be honest, I've gradually started to feel how "sterile" these designer/model places look. Like, if I lived there, I feel like I'd have to do a ton of upkeep just to keep it looking this nice. It doesn't feel "sustainable" in the sense of being a functional space in that state over a long period of time. I might have picked, for example:
    * decorations that are either less prone to dust or easier to dust off
    * furniture that's easier to clean (what's shown there may be easy to clean but I don't actually know)
    * kitchen cabinetry/countertop designs that are easier to clean, such as sinks that don't form seams with the countertop (though tbf such sinks are I think more expensive and less modular, which is a strike against them)

Furthermore, look at what happened to the boy's bedroom. Originally, it served as a study (with desk space) and bedroom. After the renovation, sure, it looks nice, but...it's now *only* a bedroom. Maybe that appeals to some people, but that feels like a waste of space to me.

Also, the renovated greeting area/living room/gathering room at the top ironically feels more cluttered to me. The original room had a couch and a TV, and nothing in the middle.

Anyhow, bottom line is, given an appropriate price, I would be willing to jump in to buy a house like that.
    This house has been transformed from an absolute zoo of a family home into a zen-like oasis for urban professionals.
    I guess this is the part where my interior design ideologue shows off a strong stinkeye.
    comment_1613901513s4utF4jB3BbvpFnErzaUbj,w400.jpg

i hope it contains enough living space
  • edited 2021-02-22 08:32:23
    top 10 5? 3? 1? buildings i would have a philosophical objection to living in
    Talking about that, remember that river dam in Kyrgyzstan?

revolution-wider-image-monuments-years-lenin-russian_d2a149b2-c38d-11e7-94e0-d13ec9d58666.jpg
    i guess the wall's designed to be Lenin against the water
    Apparently this is a thing.

• @ Swastika architecture:
    ^^ I once ate at an airplane restaurant. Diner, really. The nearby gas station, kitchy wooden garden ornaments, and seventies-era indoors made for an odd combination.
    comment_1617814202Mdick9Rj6iisNF8nAevG53.jpg

Aaand, meanwhile in Poland:

comment_1617818195o4K3hgyVt1Xrsh8kJ1aS2O.jpg
  • edited 2021-04-20 20:41:29
    Edit: I posted something in the wrong thread. To make up for it, I'll soon post a video that is self-identified to be the worst dorm room tour. Well, one such video, since there are multiple videos that purport to be this.
  • edited 2021-04-20 21:00:47

Videos are never perfect for showing the sizes of things, but I think there's enough info here for me to say that this room is probably a smaller to decent sized double; I've seen far larger doubles.

Also, the video creators do indeed have words; the cover is a lie.
    s-01.jpg

Willa-na-ulicy-Fletniowa-2.jpg

w-01.jpg

I have just learned this is called "Świdermajer" and I like it.
  • edited 2021-05-11 20:25:05
    Do you fantasize about living like an Englishman? Are you stuck in south Florida? No problem! https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/plantation/900-coco-plum-way-plantation-fl-33324--1042650175

I don't know if that fireplace actually works, but the outside of the house exhibits a chimney.

Remember that this is a place where you don't actually need a fireplace. And where the top of the house right beneath the roof pitches is hot.
    > live like an Englishman
    > sunny weather
    https://www.elledecor.com/home-remodeling-renovating/home-makeovers/a10336008/small-apartment-design/

Some of these before-and-after comparison pictures are so blatantly unfair.

Also, ironically, I found this page while looking for something very tight and cozy.
    Yeah, the pictures on the left didn't seem bad at all to me. Apparently I'm unchic.