If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    >using Microsoft Edge
  • edited 2020-08-29 20:27:11
    So I have malware on my PC. I was browsing through a dubious website recently and accidentally clicked an ad (faulty mouse) so I can't say I was careful enough. It started with Edge randomly opening to some fake Reimage Repair thing about Windows images or whatever, I closed it immediately but in hindsight I should've read more to get more leads. It's not on Edge's history. This happened right after I accidentally clicked something on my programs list so perhaps it's normal that Edge opened, but the ad definitely isn't, it's not impossible that it was from several days ago though.
    MalwareBytes and AdwCleaner didn't find anything.
    I found some XBox Game Bar thing installed for no obvious reason and a random RemoteFX warning (I didn't know what RemoteFX was before this), I thought they had to do with malware but nope, they're normal intrusive Windows things, or at least the former is.
    I installed Avast and it works, but the UI fails to load so I can't know if it's found anything. The real problem is that this also applies to the uninstaller, and of course uninstalling an antivirus like a virus would is not a straightforward task, and keeping it will cause it to interfere with other solutions I try. I feel like the computer world is ganging up on me.
    I've noticed Windows takes longer to start up but that began exactly after an update so it's probably unrelated.
    Reading some more of the Reimage thing, I got an ad for that but it's not what I have, it's scareware that doesn't try to hide itself.
    Anyhows, I installed BitDefender (twice), I'm running a scan right now, I guess the computer should be okay after it's finished, maybe? It's not obvious what the malware does and nothing suspicious has happened since I installed Avast, so maybe it'll be fine.
    Internet last words.
  • The new version of Firefox for android has its url/search bar at the bottom of the screen instead of the top and I cannot fathom why anybody at Mozilla thought this was a good idea.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    XBox Game Bar seems to come by default with Windows 10.
  • edited 2020-08-30 07:37:33
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I thought they had to do with malware but nope, they're normal intrusive Windows things, or at least the former is.

I like how Microsofts Spamware frequently interferes with trying to figure out if something is Malware or not.
    The new version of Firefox for android has its url/search bar at the bottom of the screen instead of the top and I cannot fathom why anybody at Mozilla thought this was a good idea.

Goodness gracious no.

I think eventually I'll need to stop accepting all of this nonsense Mozilla thrusts at users with a slight bristle and switch to something else, but that probably won't be anytime soon.
    Use one of the Firefox forks?
    Folder merge conflict notifications are turned off by default in Windows 10.
    Oh yeah I noticed that, but I thought it was a feature?
    At some point, msconfig was changed in Windows 10 so that it no longer has a list of startup services. Instead, the tab where they should be just tells you to go to Task Manager...which lists a far smaller list.

For example, it's missing...Windows Update.
  • edited 2020-09-09 17:34:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Update on Windows 10 updates:

The Group Policy Editor / PolicyPlus setting for Automatic Updates, at Enabled: 2 - Notify for download and auto install, does not work properly. An update has downloaded without notifying me and is now telling me it will be applied once I restart my computer.

The next thing I will try is to outright disable Automatic Updates via that same setting.

Ideas I have not yet tried:
    * set my connection as metered
    * other third-party app such as Sledgehammer: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumt_wrapper_script.html

The problem with allowing forced updates to one's operating system/program/etc. is that forced updates fundamentally mean that whoever is pushing the update is able to run nearly arbitrary code on one's machine.

There are important reasons for this distrust, such as:

* What if the update introduces an unintended bug that breaks something that is critical to whatever I'm working on?
    * What if the update introduces a feature that is intrusive to the user experience and that I can't get rid of? (Forced updates themselves are arguably already in this category; advertising -- including trial versions of software and app store integration -- is another example. Another example is if I change the system UI fonts; I've done this even though it's increasingly difficult to do it, because SegoeUI's sans-serif nature is rather obnoxious sometimes and arguably even introduces a security flaw due to the user having trouble differentiating lowercase L and uppercase i.)
    * What if the update changes the user interface in such a way that interrupts the user's workflow? (For example, what if the update introduces an entirely new Start Menu style and there's no way to go back to the old one that I am already used to using?)
    * What if the update introduces something that intrudes on privacy? (For example, what if Cortana becomes turned back on? It is a service that listens to its surroundings, after all.)
    * What if the update (intentionally, not by mistake) decides that something I am doing is illegal/undesirable and prevents me from doing it?
    * What if the update introduces a new security flaw? (Old versions generally have their security flaws fixed by updates, but updates are not infallible.)

These reasons are why it's important to have a way to disable forced updates.

I might be more amenable to updates if they came from some sort of open-source source like with Linux. With Windows I'm basically relying on Microsoft being a benevolent dictator. I can presume on faith that they're most likely consumed with dealing with software bugs and security issues, but that doesn't prevent them from wanting -- or being legally obligated to, for that matter -- to defeat various means of making the computer do what I want. (After all, the EULA says that they can...)
  • edited 2020-09-09 19:21:38
    Well, this just happened.

> let Windows 10 update

> open up gpedit.msc

dialog box pop up:
    Administrative Templates

Policy element 'SetProxyBehaviorForUpdateDetection', referenced in presentation 'CorpWuURL' could not be found.

File C:\WINDOWS\PolicyDefinitions\WindowsUpdate.admx, line 381, column 12
    the column number is partly obscured so is not entirely certain.

After pressing OK, another dialog box pops up saying the same thing.

Also, Windows Update is now missing from the Local Group Policy Editor (i.e. gpedit.msc).
  • Only two things are inevitable: death and Windows Updates.
    For example, it's missing...Windows Update.

Have you tried services.msc? There's Windows Update and some other time-trigger thing that turns Windows Update back on if you don't turn off both at the same time (there might be more in the newer updates).
    Windows Update is now missing from the Local Group Policy Editor

Yeah I noticed that Group Policy Editor seemed to get more and more nerfed with each update (before I got rid of them).
    What if the update introduces an unintended bug that breaks something that is critical to whatever I'm working on?

I mean, more generally, I'm sure there's at least one update that required fixing the whole system via an external USB key from a few years ago.
    What if the update changes the user interface in such a way that interrupts the user's workflow?

Microsoft only cares about "user workflow" if their advertising this as a feature (inevitably by changing something).
    What if the update introduces something that intrudes on privacy?

Or just general location services? Remember the fun days when computer's weren't trying to trace your every move?
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3218/how-to-drag-files-to-the-taskbar-to-open-them-in-windows-7/

oh i see

(tl;dr hold shift when dragging)

but...why would you make pinning the default behavior when opening with is much more useful and pinning less useful
    An exchange I just had with my mom:

"How come I can't call you in Skype?"
    "You just clicked on the advertisement."
    "Huh?"
    "These things on the left are part of the user interface. These things on the right are advertisements."
    "How can I get rid of the advertisements?"
    "You can't. This is what happens when you depend on commercialized services."
  • edited 2020-09-29 12:04:12
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Zennistrad wrote: »
    The new version of Firefox for android has its url/search bar at the bottom of the screen instead of the top and I cannot fathom why anybody at Mozilla thought this was a good idea.

Yeah, it's much worse than this.

Bookmarks are all screwed up, and you can't customize the new homescreen at all unless you use "Collections". Tabs are now ridiculous, switching them is jarring, and of course none of this can be fixed.

I've switched back to the native Samsung browser.
    >using Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge is much better at PDFs than desktop Firefox and this isn't even a thing one should be 'better' at than the other to start with.
    *checks Twitter feed "Home" for the first time in a while*

my goodness was Twitter always filled with *this many* ads?
    i thought it was just, like, one ad near the top of the feed, and that's it

now it's like one ad every five tweets
    I thought it was more like one ad every three tweets.

Plus, using your own twitter homepage is the most pointless thing. Rather than show you the content people you follow in chronological order it... well basically doesn't do that.

It's actually better to just use your own bookmarks.
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/03/16/get-more-out-of-windows-10-prompts/

This just happened to me -- Windows 10 is nagging me to set up a Microsoft account.

Unfortunately, the method of disabling the nagging that this page describes? It's gone. That setting is *gone*.

So I have to look elsewhere.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-get-even-more-out-windows-notification-windows-10-may-2020-update

Wait, this is still saying the same thing. Look elsewhere again.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-disable-the-screen-that-nags-me-to-use-a/042e7205-42a5-4634-b5a0-ededa76d8460

Okay, official Microsoft site, and it's someone posting in September 2020. Maybe Microsoft just disabled the visible setting switch but -- oh wait, the registry setting is gone too.

One of the posts says to create a certain registry value and set it to zero. Except, like that other poster replied...it's already set to zero on my machine.

It suggests this:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/how_to_disable_get_even_more_out_of_windows.html

...but that key is already zero on my machine.

So there's also this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ijvaqc/disable_suggest_ways_i_can_finish_setting_up_my/

Two of those keys are already zero. Let's try setting the third one to zero. Hopefully it will work, but I doubt that, personally.
    The worst thing to see on that page:
    The Nag Screen should now be deactivated for the time being.

Unless Microsoft changes the registry again.
    ah Microsoft...
    That setting is *gone*.

ah Updates...

You know I cannot believe how many companies are setting up their customer services via social media rather than by phone/e-mail.
  • Android's Google Chrome started having this thing where tabs started overlapping each other, several things will cause some UI elements of one to be visible on the other and then the screen will jitter for a bit, it's unreliable whether the input that triggered it will stick, and makes having multiple tabs useless.
    The solution is to use another browser and stop giving away information to Google.
    Does anybody know any good mobile browsers that have a decent tab management system, a way to set bookmarks to the landing page/new tab, and what amounts to Firefox's old reading mode?
    >using Microsoft Edge

In a strange turn of events it seems I may have to start using the mobile version of Microsoft Edge.
    This isn't really an annoyance, since Quick Launch is still available in Windows 10.

But, Quick Launch is better than pinning things to the taskbar.

This is because when you put a program in Quick Launch, you can then drag a file onto it to have it open via that program. If you do this to a pinned application, you instead pin the file to that application's entry on the taskbar.
    If you at all touch the screen where any Steam Community webpage is showing, even if you're on a non-tablet computer with a huge screen resolution, the Steam Community site turns into its mobile form.

Thankfully, there's an option on the main menu of the page to view the desktop version of the page.
    Just discovered this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-msoffice_custom-msoversion_other/disable-office-on-line-ctrlshiftaltwin-shortcut/edfd9f4e-6a20-4ab7-9ddd-de0a62c3c646

Yes, Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Winkey = reinstall and open up Microsoft Office, specifically the sampler edition.
    It seems there are a couple ways to disable it:

https://www.tenforums.com/microsoft-office-365/154729-disable-shift-ctrl-windows-alt-opening-login-office.html
    https://superuser.com/questions/1457073/how-do-i-disable-specific-windows-10-office-keyboard-shortcut-ctrlshiftwinal

These offer the following commands to be inserted into an elevated command prompt:
    REG ADD HKLM\Software\Classes\ms-officeapp\Shell\Open\Command /t REG_SZ /d rundll32

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Classes\ms-officeapp\Shell\Open\Command /t REG_SZ /d rundll32

The first one is for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and the second one is for HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I did the latter first and it worked, though it produces a momentary "background process" icon on my cursor, not sure why. (Hopefully it just means that it runs something that turns out to be an empty process.) But I smacked the other one into my registry too.
  • edited 2020-10-14 07:39:08
    Windows 10 just downloaded an update.

No wonder it was running like molasses.

Time to try a metered connection setting.

Correction, it is STILL running like molasses.
  • edited 2020-10-14 07:49:55
    Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703, Windows Update will now also automatically download on a metered connection only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35656-set-ethernet-connection-metered-unmetered-windows-10-a.html

IT WAS RUNNING SMOOTHLY UNTIL YOU MESSED WITH IT