If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've been rewatching Leviathan: the Last Defense.

I've watched it subbed (i.e. Japanese voicework) before; but this time I'm watching it dubbed. I'm doing this so that I can check out the dub version, and enjoy the omakes because those only make sense when viewed after each of the main episodes.

My thoughts so far:

* at first: this dub is kinda bad; the Japanese voices seem to fit better
    * (listens to Japanese voices again)
    * well, okay, they do seem to fit better, but at the same time they also end up feeling more tropey. I don't remember our protagonists being quite this sassy, or otherwise more interesting. Their personalities seem to shine better in the dub, even if the voicework sometimes feels awkward.
    * But maybe I just didn't notice? It's been a while since I watched this.
    * later: Hmm, the dub actually doesn't seem that bad. Maybe the voices grew on me...which is something that could happen. Or maybe the voicework got better.
    * I've been watching this with the subs displayed at the same time, and most of the lines match pretty well yet they still managed to make the dub interesting. There are a few times the lines differ substantially in meaning, though none of these are story-critical.
    * Leviathan is the one who sounds kinda awkward, but she's like that in the Japanese voicework too; she's a bit air-headed and that's her thing.
    * Also come to think of it the story started off with a little more weight on the side of assorted nonsense but then got vaguely more wholesome later on. Interesting. It's starting to feel like an actual fantasy adventure, rather than a fantasy misadventure, now.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    this dub is kinda bad

If GMH is admitting this then it must be really painful.
    Their personalities seem to shine better in the dub

I think this depends on if you listen to more dubs than subs.
  • edited 2020-09-20 05:24:36
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Their personalities come off as more stereotypical/tropey in the Japanese dub, while they seem more distinctive compared to their tropes in the English dub, probably because I can actually hear the details of how they talk in the English dub, while the Japanese dub with English subs dissociates the vocal performance from the script, other than time synching.

I definitely disagree with those people who say that Japanese voicework puts more emotion into stuff. Rather, that emotion is expressed a little differently, which can cause subtle changes to the personalities of the characters -- for example, how Bahamut sounds a little snarkier in the English dub compared to the Japanese dub where she sounds more generically playfully bratty, even when the lines in question basically mean the same thing.
    I just realized that sports event commentary girl and student newspaper reporter Minori Hosaka from the anime series Four Rhythm Across the Blue looks like the interviewer from the "Ringside" level of the game Rhythm Heaven.
  • edited 2020-09-21 18:09:18
    I have a feeling that the next thing I watch might be Yuru Camp / Laid-Back Camp, because I've listened to its theme song like 20 times over the past week or so already.

I haven't decided what I want to call this show yet.
  • edited 2020-09-25 14:20:41
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Ah, DECA-DENCE...

14w Paper on DECA-DENCE

Abstract: A Study on a World Collapsing in on it's Own Overly Rigid Structure

TOC:

List of Terms and Abbreviations:

Introduction

Literature review

I watched DECA-DENCE!

Also my own previous notes on DECA-DENCE.

Methodology

I gots the thoughts.

Discussion
    First Half; Rigidity of the System

Episodes 6-11; The Bends Break It

Episode 12; Inconsistent Tonalities of the Climax, Ending, and Epilogue

Climax

Ending

Epilogue

Conclusion

Aaaand done.
    [Maid Dragon]

Come to think of it, Kanna is probably quite aware that she's able to manipulate Riko, and given that Kanna is a known prankster, some of what she does she's probably doing it for the hell of it.

Though she also does seem to genuinely enjoy and value her friendship with Riko.
  • edited 2020-09-26 17:35:51
    it's both a good thing and an annoying thing about making tag requests on Anime-Planet, that the staff actually do research stuff

and this means i need to properly justify my information and this often means researching stuff and revisiting series i've watched long ago just to properly present information

so right now i'm being asked for further information to confirm that the dragon characters in Dragonaut should be tagged with "Dragon", because no one on the staff has seen it
    So it seems Buddyfight is officially over. There hasn't been a new anime in at least a year now and the latest issue of English Bushiroad magazine is a farewell edition dedicated to Buddyfight.
    @glennmagusharvey: Have you ever considered watching Jashin-chan Dropkick? It seems right up your alley.
  • edited 2020-10-04 07:06:56
    @glennmagusharvey: Have you ever considered watching Jashin-chan Dropkick? It seems right up your alley.
    Why so?
    Well, it's a supernatural comedy with a specific focus on the daily adventures of a group of girls.
    Yuru Camp is in the key of A major. In this case, both the OP and ED are in this key.
  • edited 2020-10-07 04:57:30
    Shadowverse's last few episodes have played fast and loose with the new mechanics. I'm quite excited to see how it's all handled this cour.

Aside from introducing Portalcraft as the new class just before everything ramped up, there's these new Tree of Woe zombie-alters of opponents that the main cast have fought previously. I'm glad to see those characters back, because their first appearances tended to make a good impression and it was sad to see them go.

Another big deal is the fact that the main characters of the Shadowverse mobile game, the Leaders, have shown up at the end of the OP. I wonder how they'll be integrated into the story.

lWqlIfY.jpg

It seems our main characters will also each be getting a Kirifuda/Trump Card update with the Legendary cards. I wonder how that'll play out. Each of the main characters seems to be really attached to their signature followers, so I hope they give them a good sendoff.
  • edited 2020-10-07 14:25:55
    I've begun reading Wizard's Soul ~ Koi no Jihad.
    I searched everywhere for the raws. Volumes 2, 3 and 4 were easy, but after several hours I couldn't find the first one. On the plus side, I learned that there's a manga titled Destroy All Humankind, They Can't Be Regenerated, and there's the title of one that doesn't exist but it should:
    My U/B Control Can't Be This Cute
    Edit: Spelling.
  • edited 2020-10-07 14:09:41
    Destroy All Humanskind, They Can't Be Regenerated

I don't believe this title.

Oh it is not an isekai;
    Set in 1998, the story of Destroy all humankind. They can't be regenerated. follows Hajime Kanou and Emi Sawatari, a pair of kids who have been academic rivals since middle school. Hajime is an incorrigible otaku with a love of collectible card games, while Emi seems serious and strait-laced, so they don't get along at first, but they become friends and grow closer after Hajime discovers that Emi secretly plays Magic: The Gathering.

Sounds fun!

I should read this.
    Cross Ange's soundtrack is amazing.
    I watched the first episode of Kimi to Boku Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen ie Kimisen.

The first half was basically the start of a tabletop campaign where the GM gives you the basic story prompt and tells you your characters all know each other in-universe but are meeting again after a while as to allow for convenient exposition.

I was surprised to find that second half, the action-battle part of the episode, was so well animated. I didn't expect from an LN anime of this calibre.

For convenient story reasons the star-crossed protagonists can fight each other one day and then the next go to the opera in Neutral Town, enjoying each other's company without killing each other.

This is not considered fraternizing with the enemy, and none of their superiors seem to care (though Alice might not have any).

I mean earlier in the episode, Iska's best friend

I do like that even though Iska's main weapon is a sword, he limits it's use to cutting/blocking magical attacks, and only ever hits people with his fist in order to incapacitate them (never killing them). Similarly, his teammate goes around shooting people with a stun gun.

It's quite a ridiculous for a war setting, but personally I find it a welcome relief from KING'S RAID's intensely graphic, bloody (nowhere near as well animated) fight scenes.
    I'm probably one of the few people who has not played Z/X but still thinks about Z/X Code Reunion.

I could make it even more unlikely and add in "who has not watched Z/X Ignition" but at that point I'm probably just reducing the set to just myself.
    I actually haven't seen it either!
    I'm probably one of the few people who has not played Z/X but still thinks about Z/X Code Reunion.

Z/X is only available as a Japan-exclusive, Japanese only trading card game, and a Japan-exclusive, Japanese only series of mobile trading card games.

I'm assuming not many English-speaking people who have seen either Z/X anime have had access to either.

I knew I wouldn't like Hypnosis Mic -Division Rap Battle- Rhyme Anima. I haven't liked anything about Hypnosis Mic at all since it started. Still, I decided to watch the first episode on a lark.

I lasted until right after the OP, which is something I didn't want to listen to the whole way through once, let alone 11 more times.
  • edited 2020-10-11 11:10:06
    Z/X Code Reunion is so poorly covered in the English-speaking anime fandom that it doesn't even have a completed characters section on MAL.
    Have you watched Z/X Ignition? I forget.
    that it doesn't even have a completed characters section on MAL.

A lot of shows don't.
    Have you watched Z/X Ignition? I forget.

I have not.
    For some reason I refer to Yuru Camp by its mixed-language name despite a full-English name being a thing. Probably because "Yuru Camp" rolls off the tongue better.
    I've been posting less on MAL lately, compared to several months or a year or two ago when I posted more.

I just end up kinda repeating the same opinions over and over again so I got tired of it.

Like just now I posted about how 1-cour series don't have the same potential that 2-cour series do. I've posted this before. There, and here too. And I got into arguments with fourteenwings and/or Naas when I did, I think. lol
    TIL: Rin = Lacia

While I still feel that "doing what you saw on TV" (or other media) just because certain things got brought up in fiction is a little weird, Yuru Camp is certainly one of the better shows to try to re-enact in real life, as the show portrays a real-life hobby in a pretty realistic manner.

Observations:
    * This is a very mountainous region in Japan.
    * Unsurprisingly, some of the campsites are nestled high atop hills.
    * In real life, some of these locations may have far more visitors than the show suggests. But this probably depends on the season.
    * Road signs in Japan apparently come with romaji/English text.
    * It can be seen that the show paid a lot of attention to getting visual details faithful to their real-life counterparts.
    * One of the locations is a YMCA. It really does have a "peace bell" outside its main building.
    * At least some of these locations have definitely used the show as promotion, seeing as how they carry Yuru-Camp-themed merchandise and signage.
  • edited 2020-10-19 04:34:34
    Akudama Drive started. It's very much a show by the Danganronpa people. Bunch of insane randos, with one straight man character, are contracted to do stuff by a mysterious force if they don't want to die.

This time though they have a whole city to play with.

The show has it all;

Danganronpa-style transitions!

kb46bUd.jpg

Monokuma Theater segments in between cliffhanger-style scenes!

dYa0EiC.jpg

Subtlety!

BehQ0ud.png

A mad idiotic muscle man!

CgU44bf.jpg

Nagito but pre-deprogramming!

g7vfPxB.jpg

And so on.

@Stormtroper: ^
    Akudama Drive started. It's very much a show by the Danganronpa people. Bunch of insane randos, with one straight man character, are contracted to do stuff by a mysterious force if they don't want to die.
    Is an appropriate genre term for this "thriller"?