If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Thoughts on the Spanish Language

Comments

• edited 2020-05-26 14:12:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Then again, to be fair, it's not that English speakers don't know Spanish. Because, even in English, we have the town of Wall, famous for Wall Drug.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    heh, she has a point

also

buénosu días

me chamo Korone

estudío español

grashias
  • edited 2020-07-30 16:01:05
    I find it odd that one of the things she pronounces wrong is her own avatar's name, given that it's almost the same as in Japanese.
    ahora que ya no estoy escuchando el vídeo en un dispositivo movíl en la cama

SUPÉEEEEINGOL

HONA

SOY COLONE

ME CHAMO COLONE, ¡YEEY!

¿ESTO DÍO ESPAÑOL?

¿STD ESTI DÍO ESPAÑOL?

y luego, inglés gratuito
  • tbh I'm always reluctant to mock the pronunciation of learners. It makes me image myself getting mocked over mine.
    (Also, supeingo (スペイン語) is correct Japanese.)
  • edited 2020-07-31 02:11:53
    Heh, I guess you're right.

But yeah, I definitely agree with her that Spanish phonology is more consistent and easier to learn than English phonology.
    Is this a meme among Spanish-speakers?
  • Not as far as I'm aware, I just heard about it yesterday.
  • If this were in English I'd post it in the videos thread:
    ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre "un fuego" y "un incendio"?
  • Un incendio es específicamente una calamidad en la que cosas que no se deberían estar quemando se están quemando, lo que en inglés sería "fire outbreak", en cambio uno puede referirse a una fogata o antorcha como "un fuego".
    The dish was reportedly created at the Lincoln Grill restaurants in Hilo, Hawaii, in 1949 by its proprietors, Richard Inouye and his wife Nancy, at the request of teenagers from the Lincoln Wreckers Sports club seeking something that differed from a sandwich, was inexpensive, and yet could be quickly prepared and served. They asked Nancy to put some rice in a bowl, a hamburger patty over the rice, and then top it with brown gravy. The egg came later. The teenagers named the dish Loco Moco after one of their members, George Okimoto, whose nickname was "Crazy". George Takahashi, who was studying Spanish at Hilo High School, suggested using Loco, which is Spanish for crazy. They tacked on "moco" which "rhymed with loco and sounded good".[1][2][3] To Spanish-speakers, however, the name can sound very odd, given that they hear it as "crazy snot" (moco is Spanish for "mucus").[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_moco
    This is Spanish, isn't it?

(timestamp: 3:13)
  • edited 2020-10-23 00:48:47
    It is. "¿Qué está pasando con el corral/los alcaldes/los consejales/el presidente Zapatero?"
    Also: lol
  • edited 2020-10-24 03:25:30
    TIL about the terminology variety in what's called "lima" and what's called "lemon" (edit: rather, "limón"), as well as that in English "lemons" are strictly the yellow ones.
    I knew that Danganronpa puzzle felt too oddly ambiguous.
  • edited 2020-10-24 00:24:32
    We call the green ones "limes". Wiktionary says that "lima" in Spanish can mean "lime" or (dialectally) "lemon" in English, and indicates that "limón" in Mexican Spanish also means "lime".

When I look up "limón", Wiktionary says that it means lemon, and is synonymous with "citrón" in this regard, while "citrón" is defined as either "lemon" or "citron" in English, while a "citron" in English refers to a very different fruit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citron

For reference, this is what English wikipedia shows as the general species name for each of these terms:
    * lemon: Citrus limon - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon
    * lime: multiple species - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_(fruit) - the most common variety is the Persian lime, Citrus x latifolia, which is a hybrid between a Key lime and a lemon. In turn, the Key lime, Citrus x aurantifolia, is a hybrid between the small-flowered papeda/small-fruited papeda/biasong/samuyao, Citrus micrantha, and the citron (see below).
    * citron: Citrus medica - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citron

In short, the Citrus genre is hybridized to hell and back, and tracing genetic lineages is a mess. The fact that languages confuse them is probably a side effect of this.
  • edited 2020-10-24 03:28:22
    I've heard about the distinction, but I've never seen anybody irl calling both of them anything but "limón"*, the green ones being the overwhelming majority. Also in a bunch of places the green ones are "limones" and the yellow ones are "limas". Though theoretically whichever is larger should be "limones".
    *Edit: Except when mentioning the flavor "lima y limón".
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    So I was wading through the vast expanses of Music YouTube when I came across a song title that made me think "Isn't 'P***' Spanish for idiot or something" and then I Google-Translated the whole title and went a bit woozy.

As somebody who is extremely prudish about swearing, it particularly struck me how not knowing any Spanish made this whole thing sounds vaguely wholesome, like early 2000s teen pop.

Basically it's the perfect set-up for a joke about a worldly guy who prides himself on listening to too much music showing off this song to a friend who can speak Spanish.
  • edited 2020-12-09 20:00:28
    Que sera sera

I looked at this and thought it doesn't feel right in Spanish, beyond just missing accent marks, based on what I understand about how Latin and Spanish grammar work. Wikipedia confirms it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be)

So, what might it be in proper Spanish? Would it be this?

"Pasará lo que pasará"

• Ahmaigah vTubers speaking Spanish badly is better than how I hoped it'd be. I might follow her, the accidental threatening tone is convincing.
    And I just realized I never answered the above.
    So, what might it be in proper Spanish? Would it be this?

"Pasará lo que pasará"
    I hadn't realized those lyrics aren't how I remembered.
    Yeah, that works. For a more literal back-translation, "lo que será, será" also works, or very literally, "lo que sea que será, será".
    Someone people dubbed at least the first seven episodes of Angel Beats into Spanish.

On a whim I looked up "latidos de angel" and I ran across this.
  • Not so much about Spanish than about language learning videos, but:
  • edited 2021-04-08 22:11:01
    Si alguien dice "los tres golpes", ¿qué sabes lo que significa?

(If someone says "los tres golpes", what do you think they mean?)
  • Other than literally meaning "the three hits/strikes/coups", no. Is it a specific event? (Or three?)
  • edited 2021-04-09 02:25:31
    Aparece ser un plato de la República Dominicana, una combinación con "mangú":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangú

...así como el nombre de una danza cubana por Ignacio Cervantes:

• Ah.
    I vaguely remember hearing about the dish once. Not the music tho.