If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Big fall sale on GOG right now ( https://www.gog.com/ ) - the "Harvest Sale"

Free game (until August 26, 1pm UTC = 9 am US EDT): Serious Sam: the First Encounter - https://www.gog.com/game/serious_sam_the_first_encounter

More info on the sale: https://www.gog.com/news/the_harvest_sale_brings_the_juiciest_deals_up_to_91_off
    me as a kid: "i can't wait until i get my own payment method without needing to go through my parents so i can buy all these games"

me as an adult: *does hours of research before buying a $5 game*
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    me as an adult: *does hours of research before buying a $5 game*

Ah, that feel. It's a brilliant feel.
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard

TL;DR this is an article about proportion of revenue for a game sale that goes to the store. The topic has been a thing lately.
    * Epic, which made news recently for taking only 12%, is unusual for doing so. Most stores take roughly 30%.
    * Steam, the dominant industry player, takes 30%, and less than that for sales revenue exceeding very large amounts (typical for AAA games, rarely seen by indies).
    * Humble Store, pioneer of Humble Bundles and nowadays also a store that sells DRM-free games and Steam keys, takes 25%, of which 15% is for themselves and 10% is up to the customer's choice to become store credit or go to charity.
    * GOG, the leading retailer of DRM-free games, uses 30% as a starting point but apparently individually negotiates every contract.
    * itch.io, a site that sells/distributes a variety of lesser-known indie games, lets developers set their revenue share amount.
    * Console companies tend to also take 30%.

N.B. This is only about the share of revenue going to the store. It doesn't represent the actual revenue received by the publisher/developer.
    Dragondot turns out to be a pretty cute and fun thing.

Well I've only played Dragondot 3 so far, but yes.
    One problem with Terraria is that there's no way to disable random events such as Blood Moons, Goblin Invasions, Meteorite Strikes, and such.

Well, technically, there is; you just need to play with a sufficiently low-health character.

But that means switching to a different character for building stuff. I feel ehh on that. Wish there were a way to disable them in the settings. There might be but I just don't know how yet.

also they changed several piano sprites from grand pianos to upright pianos :(
  • TIL the competitive Smash scene is a cover for a child prostitution ring.
    That's an exaggeration, but not by much.
    Besides that, I recently learned about the Eve: Online expansion that would break Windows, as well as that Myth II would wipe your drive if you installed it in the root folder (which I guess isn't a good idea in the first place) then uninstalled it.
    the competitive Smash scene is a cover for a child prostitution ring

Excuse me.

Elaborate please.
  • I'm not that acquaitanced with the whole thing, but it's some recent controversy involving several top players being accused of using their status to solicit/having sex with players who were minor of age, some of them have already admitted to it. There's also accusations of covering it up.
    Oh, that's... quite a lot.

That's really bad.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    For a moment I thought politics are colonizing another thread.
  • I just learned about Among Us, looks very fun. I always thought Wolfgame's biggest limitation is that it doesn't take place in an actual world where things happen and players do things, but I never made the connection between that and that there should be a non-chatroom video game version of it instead.
    Also, TIL there's no game called Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest, but there's one called Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yeah I thought it was the other way round too.
    I once thought it was the other way around too, though it was a few years ago that I was disabused of that notion.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    TIL there's no game called Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest, but there's one called Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

This could be one of these "spot the difference" riddles.
    https://www.gog.com/news/read_how_werewolf_the_apocalypse_heart_of_the_forest_is_shapeshifting_gaming_according_to_its_creators

This article, about the game Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Heart of the Forest, a video game based on a tabletop game, mentions that it's set in Poland, specifically the Białowieża Forest. And it even makes the claim that it's "The first game to bring to life actual Polish stories and legends", making reference to The Witcher by saying that such legends only inspired The Witcher.

I somehow doubt that last claim is technically true all the way, though it might be the highest-profile game to do so. I know almost nothing about said realm of cultural mythos being represented in video games though. @lrdgck do you have any thoughts on this? Or on this game overall.
    Incidentally, I read about this game like yesterday from a World of Darkness-related source. The dude behind this is a Pole, so there's that. Some twenty years ago he was a big person in Polish WoD fandom, it's fun to see him surface like that.

That's a weird feeling, you know. When you realize that a) stuff happened twenty years ago and it's within the reach of your own memory, b) people who did that stuff are (obviously) still around.
  • edited 2020-09-18 05:30:03
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    In a more general sense; As a kid I always expected that the same set of people who did stuff previously would always be around, so I'm frequently still sad when I find that somebody who I thought had a lot of talent basically has no career (Victoria Justice, Meaghan Jette Martin).

I think this belief is what the Disney Channel starlet pipeline is meant to exploit.

I think this should be here for the cultural importance, rather than because I'll be playing it (I won't, I worked out all my Final Fantasy fandom guilt with FFXV);

It seems like it'll be following in Final Fantasy XV's footsteps in terms of gameplay, with it being a single-player action RPG. I know it's not as extremely different from XIII's single player turn-based RPG, but I will always prefer things turn based. The color scheme seems to be gringy real (again) with the color provided by nature (rather than XIII's extremely colorful everything, which I loved).

In terms of world, it seems to be following in FFXII's footsteps in trying to be closer to the original six games rather than the series more futuristic side. I guess it's time for that sort of entry, especially with how popular high fantasy remains in pop culture at this point.

I like what I see of the plot elements, and I'll certainly be watching any supplementary anime and reading any side-story books Yen Press chooses to publish.
  • edited 2020-09-18 06:03:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Argh damnit I was unable to avoid learning of Among Us, I was unable to avoid mentions of Nvidia's new graphics card, and I am now unable to avoid the FFXVI trailer.

I don't think this trailer has really captivated me, though.

I enjoyed the musical references to classic FF themes/motifs, though I gotta say, the main theme doesn't really work well if you put it in F minor because the second phrase tonicizes G minor, which needs the major tonic to play off of, or you have to change the chord to Gdim instead.

At some point I might play FFXIII.
  • edited 2020-09-19 03:16:14
    I still haven't played XI (and probably never will), XII, XIII (I had the chance to but didn't, forgot why) or XV. I did play XIV for a while tho, t'was nice, I especially liked the crafting system.
  • edited 2020-09-19 15:26:16
    lol people are scalping the new Nvidia video card

because of course

jerks
  • Arbitrage is good and should be celebrated.
    The only way I can agree here is that I don't have a particularly high opinion of what I'd guess is the general crowd who would buy these things anyway -- which by my guess would consist of hardcore gamers who IMO overspend on their hardware for questionable benefits in actual gameplay, and people who'd use these things for cryptocurrency mining.

To be fair, some of those people who just like playing with hardware might be perfectly cool people, though I'd still say there's diminishing returns to these technical advancements, in the realm of gaming.
  • (In which I attack my own point) They're also used in 3D modeling, scientific simulations and AI training, which are certainly better uses than that.
    I've seen a lot of entitlement-based reactions from gamers, that the cards are being wasted if they're used for "financial" purposes rather than to render their games and that something is being taken away from them, something they "deserve".
    Besides that, until now I never noticed the relation between the "No items. Fox only. Final Destination" meme and the fact that Melee's Final Destination theme has part of Star Fox's theme in it.
    Fair enough. And those people shouldn't be subjected to scalpers, at least.
    I've seen a lot of entitlement-based reactions from gamers, that the cards are being wasted if they're used for "financial" purposes rather than to render their games and that something is being taken away from them, something they "deserve".

People are great.
  • edited 2020-09-20 19:23:57
    ...is the person who made this video literally one of the people who worked on these games?

also
    And, i can't wait to see an MD emulator that incorporates a wiggle the cartrige feature...
  • That's what I got from the video, yeah.
    Also, it's not exactly the same thing but there's emulators with functions to corrupt RAM by changing values at random.
    Posting this so I can know to read it later: http://howtomarketagame.com/2020/09/20/what-steam-says-you-should-do/