If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Belphegor University, Home of the Sagacious Salamanders

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    For the record, it was @Bluesy_Cowgirl who introduced me to the above.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    which politicians you hate the most

These might not be the ones that'll most negatively affect the outcome you desire though!
  • edited 2020-08-05 14:32:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well, Danny Kraid gets a kick out of being a political contrarian anyway.

In addition to running an unlicensed microbrewery.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    which politicians you hate the most

Isn't this like asking which child you love most? You probably have a preference, but it feels bad to say one of them is better.
    Good point.
    Thinking: What if flight were a common ability, and students who couldn't fly were given a common accessory that enabled flight or something like it?

I fell asleep while trying to come up with such an accessory, but for some reason that's when I arrived at a name for it. It'd be a small object, in the shape of a fruit cup, called a Darie cup. Why this name? I have no idea honestly, but it just came to me in a dream.
    I've been thinking about how to design a world where magic and technology coexist.

The basic idea for magic in this setting that I've had so far is that magic is basically a way to manifest one's imagination or intentions, within certain limits.

One thought I've had is that if I were to juxtapose it with tech, one of the limiting factors of magic is that it requires human intention, which in turn means human *attention*. This in turn means that magic might fail when people don't feel like it, whereas technology won't.
  • edited 2020-10-09 04:34:17
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    magic and technology coexist.

As long as you don't turn it into a giant CAD manual like Mahouka.
    manifest one's imagination or intentions

This seems like the sort of setting where people regularly go insane.
    magic might fail when people don't feel like it

This also seems like the sort of setting where teams regularly have to go out and stop Madoka Witch Labyrinths that are fueled entirely by a single crazy person.

Or whenever an overly-intelligent "funky" professor tries to be cool and takes LSD/psilocybin mushrooms.
    The school newspaper is called The Salamander Incident.

The Salamander Incident involves reporting on other incidents, including other salamander incidents.
  • edited 2021-03-11 09:34:49
    The school's radio broadcasting club operates a station with a transmitter on campus. The station is on air at 101.3 WKPA, "The Atmosphere".
    Other ideas:

* There is a sports bar in town called The Salamander's Firewater.

(The name is a play on the traditional association of the salamander with fire, whereas salamanders are actually amphibians who have far more affinity with water.)

(And yes, a sports bar. Not a tavern. I'd like to explore a fantasy setting with some more modern elements, rather than leaning heavily on Medieval-European-high-fantasy tropes.)

* Allegations of academic dishonesty such as plagiarism are referred to a discplinary committee. They have mages with high-level divination spells that serve on the committee. Unfortunately, these spells take a lot of prep work and time to cast.
  • edited 2021-04-16 08:20:48
    Glenn you revived this thread several hours too early for Strixhaven.
    I re-read this thread looking for something I could make a reference to MtG's latest set (about a magic school), but no good material came up. Well, there's the stuff ablut a card game.
    This reminds me that I never got around to rendering a piece of fanart I made. It's not much (the crater) but perhaps I could finish it?
    I'm very curious how this will turn out. I actually have a specific look for it in my mind, and I'm curious how much your depiction of it will match the one in my head.

Unfortunately I am bad at visual arts.
    also I'm amused at Strixhaven
  • edited 2021-04-18 04:56:12
    Drugs

Drugs are prohibited anywhere on the campuses of Belphegor University. However, given the fact that you do have a bunch of college students on a campus together, inevitably some mandragoids show up here and there. Rumor has it that the Caving Club is involved in the production and/or distribution of mandragoids, but they keep denying it and blaming it on unspecified malefactors and unscrupulous students. Besides, there's more actual evidence of Danny Kraid's microbrewery than any of these rumors. Counter-rumors suggest that the Biology Department is in on this.

That Incident Involving The Laundry Machine, The Armadillos, And A Suspicious Number Of Watermelons

This incident shall not be discussed on campus. Attempts at replicating it are strictly forbidden.
    Come to think of it, I'm wondering whether it'd be funnier to retcon the bit about quidditch and instead say that quidditch is a fictional sport in this setting, and come up with some other fictional sports to make real in this setting.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Or go full meta and say there is a community of Harry Potter fans on campus.
    Mockingbird

This small songbird is capable of a magical marvel developed here at Belphegor University. Using an appropriately prepared spell, considering input and output languages and requisite vocabulary for each, one can use its vocalizations to translate between languages of one's choosing.

Prior attempts were made to do this using parrots and corvids, but parrots tended to be less accurate, having more of their own thoughts to say, and corvids tended to be too sassy for the purpose.
    >literally called mockingbird
    >not sassy

I guess you only feel safe because you don't know what they say in private.
    Potential privacy concerns have been cited regarding the use of mockingbirds for translation purposes. Research is currently ongoing.
  • edited 2021-05-01 07:15:53
    I'm very curious how this will turn out. I actually have a specific look for it in my mind, and I'm curious how much your depiction of it will match the one in my head.
    Here:
    H7i1tsl.png
    I kept forgetting to re-render it. Also I lost the first render I made when crashed as it was saving (I did not have the presence of mind to print screen to get something out of it).
    For a while I thought I had lost the file. left it mostly as-is, which turned out to not be that troublesome (I did leave the magic circle ink error there tho). Also it turned out to be more complete than I remembered, come to think of it I think it wasn't so much that I hadn't completed it as much as it was that I didn't think it turned out well. IIRC it was half a work in itself, half an experiment on textures (especially the magic circle), particles and the renderer.
    Interesting. I had a more rocky, more yellowish, more rounded, and more emptied look in my head. And it was surrounded by a railing and a walkway and buildings and lights, rather than grass and a magic circle. (Would have been far more complicated to render though.)

I'll have to put this somewhere though.
  • You may be interested in knowing that that "rock" texture is actually bark for some reason I can't remember. From the timestamp I think I had a continuous internet connection so lack of available rock ones wasn't the reason.
    I think it works really well to depict a crumbly rock texture.
    Somehow it seems I haven't yet posted about that two-story rectangular building with a giant drop (at least like 30 feet) right next to one end of it.

I haven't decided what to do with this yet.
    Screenshot_20211225-131248_D4DJ.jpg
    a) are you playing D4DJ?
    b) why does D4DJ have kemonomimis now?
    I didn't even know this was from D4DJ. Closest I've come to doing anything with its media is trying to soulmate Noa Fukushima on Mudae, and then putting the actual anime series on my PTW.

I just posted this picture because of the caption text juxtaposed with the obviously fantasy-influenced visuals.
    soulmate Noa Fukushima on Mudae

I think I've missed a lot because this makes no sense to me.
    In short, I've been playing a Discord waifu gacha bot game.

You can claim a character. Then you the next time you roll the character, you get a soulkey. Get 10 soulkeys on your own and the character enters your soulmate list.

It's basically a per-character thing that I've defined as the end-state for when I'll stop trying to roll that character.