If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2020-06-28 18:22:58
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, you're outpacing me.

Also I did watch much of Z/X Code Reunion last year but I also did not count it for last year's count because I count the date I finishing the series.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've accidentally started watching a second series by studio Silver Link, in a row.
  • edited 2020-07-01 12:24:41
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Which one?

EDIT: I see it's BOFURI.
  • edited 2020-07-01 12:29:10

This is quite terrible news.

This man gave one of the biggest, bombastic magical girl mecha franchises the running start it deserved. One filled with lots of heart rending moments and jawdropping triumphs.

He reached people all over the world with his flaming passion, and I hope people will come to know and continue to remember his artistry for generations to come.
  • edited 2020-07-01 18:49:07
    =(
  • edited 2020-07-06 18:39:36
    I only just now found out that the same group has done both Bofuri's OP and the gorgeously beautiful ED3 in the Neptunia anime.
  • edited 2020-07-07 03:53:15
    Bofuri's fictional MMORPG New World Online, aside from enabling its hilariously overpowered main cast, turns out to be what I actually realized I want in an MMORPG.
    * generally friendly playerbase
    * easy to make personal connections with other players
    * lots of wonderful little secrets in the game, which greatly reward exploration with a sense of discovery, both with regards to game world content as well as skill tree stuff

Also, not much attention is paid to the following, but in addition to the above, NWO features:
    * an interface that is not chock full of giant amounts of text everywhere.
    Sadly, I have to pause after 8 episodes.
  • edited 2020-07-07 06:47:18
    * easy to make personal connections with other players
    Something I've learned from WoW is that, while it may seem contradictory, this is in opposition to ease of "playability"; the game won't stop you from just chatting with whoever, but when it comes to actually playing most people just want to get things done and would prefer to avoid the hassle of forming groups, organizing them, and so on, that's how it was in the early expansions and over time it's been replaced with features (e.g. group finding, dungeon design) that more or less automatize these parts or make them unnecessary, but a side effect among many is that outside some things (raids, arenas, maybe more), the people you play with are replaceable entities that you likely won't meet again. For the most part people (including "social" individuals) will agree the convenience is worth the "impersonalization" of gameplay.
    Put another way, the more you need to socialize to play, the less you actually get to play, and the less you need to socialize, the less you socialize. The thing about "optimizing the fun out of the game" may have to do with it.
    (Of course, if you're okay with just chatting with whoever without regard to gameplay or long-term relationships, this isn't a big deal.)
    * lots of wonderful little secrets in the game, which greatly reward exploration with a sense of discovery, both with regards to game world content as well as skill tree stuff
    I heard Guild Wars 2 is good at this in terms of game world content. That said I don't think it's possible to avoid eventually succumbing to this:
    746.jpg
  • edited 2020-07-07 07:06:22
    The thing about "optimizing the fun out of the game" may have to do with it.
    Honestly I think this has to do with this problem not just with regards to socializing but also with regards to exploring.

There's the idea that the game experience is something to be controlled so that it can deliver the same well-designed experience to everyone, roughly speaking.

But you can't really get the "I just found some random thing to explore and hey look this is so cool!" experience if you do this. Particularly if you intend to minimize "missables". Instead, everything is listed in really well-organized ways, important features are specifically indicated, and anything that isn't listed will instead show up in some guide somewhere on the internet.

Furthermore it's more glaringly obvious that you're just playing a game when you can see everyone running around doing stuff around you. At least in a single-player RPG the NPCs and the world can change based on what you do.

And then the world lore and story become excuses for the game to exist, and people play the game in order to feed a desire for accomplishment and/or resource accumulation, rather than a desire for discovery.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think it says a lot that you found the perfect MMO in an anime (or an LN, I guess), which is allowed to misrepresent the rules as it sees fit because it doesn't need to function as a game.

I assume that the social parts of MMOs were really devastated by things like Discord and twitch, and the exploration parts went the way that Stormtroper explained above (the wikis said interesting places had nothing worth game value, and so devs stopped bothering with them).

In all honesty, in my video game days I used to wish I could take more time and explore for the two seconds it took me to look into avoiding all the unnecessary aspects. I only ever 100%-ed games I liked, and that was mostly in my youth. The last game I 100%-ed was probably like... Final Fantasy XIII-2?

Also I think devs for casual-ish MMOs (think Flyff and it's ilk) have all moved to mobage and my goodness Western mobage is so obsessed with PvP.
    I only just now found out that the same group has done both Bofuri's OP and the gorgeously beautiful ED3 in the Neptunia anime.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Afilia Saga?

Why?
  • Bofuri culminated in some amount of "surprise opponents with abilities they didn't even know exist", which doesn't sound like viable game design.
    Isn't that just what isekai/"I'm in a video game!" anime do in general.

I mean, Sword Art Online is rife with that sort of insanity, and Accel World outright says abilities in the game come from your mind.
  • Yeah, these are probably just generally not great ways to run a game.
    This isn't even going into Overlord and it's ilk.

It turns out BOFURI's OP is by Sasaki Rico, who is not a group.

I was actually right about Afilia Saga doing the ED at least, but it turns out they're called Junjou no Afilia now. Idols and their random name changes never cease to keep you guessing.
  • edited 2020-07-08 02:50:50
    I think it says a lot that you found the perfect MMO in an anime (or an LN, I guess), which is allowed to misrepresent the rules as it sees fit because it doesn't need to function as a game.
    Though, the parts I like aren't the ones where they play fast and loose with "the rules" in terms of "this doesn't make sense as something the designers would put into an MMO". Like I said, it's not the hilariously overpowered abilities that I like. Rather, it's that the game seems to actually deliver a sense of wonder and exploration to players, through the discovery of strange secrets everywhere. Well, that, along with having a friendly playerbase and also a UI that's free of information overload but is instead pretty immersive.

I guess it's implied that there are "normal" ways to play the game, that most people engage in, but are largely not shown, but clearly there is a huge abundance of "hidden" features, which the main cast -- particularly Maple -- runs into rather frequently.

It'd be far more typical for such features to be relegated to the role of "easter eggs", rather than actually producing gameplay-relevant content such as skills, though, so as to try to promise/provide a relatively "expectable" course of gameplay to most players.
    I assume that the social parts of MMOs were really devastated by things like Discord and twitch, and the exploration parts went the way that Stormtroper explained above (the wikis said interesting places had nothing worth game value, and so devs stopped bothering with them).
    The few times I've played MMOs it seemed to me like it's better played if you already have a group of friends going into the game together, using the game as a social activity, rather than actually expecting to socialize in-game.

It might also have to do with the size of the playerbase. Smaller fandoms/playerbases tend to be friendlier, typically, probably because they have more appreciation that other people are willing to hang around. Unfortunately, smaller playerbases don't really justify the existence of MMOs. But NWO seems to have a relatively small playerbase, given how the same several characters could run into each other so easily. (I'm not just talking about the main cast -- look at how easily the top several players run into each other.)
    100%-ed
    The unfortunate thing about 100%ing games is that by the time one can 100% a game it has already gone beyond the "wonder" stage and is firmly in the "accomplishment" stage.
    Indeed.

Though I am more surprised you are not berating me for not knowing that Afilia Saga did Neptunia's ED1.
    Why?
    The dub project was interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Naas_Human wrote: »
    Bofuri culminated in some amount of "surprise opponents with abilities they didn't even know exist", which doesn't sound like viable game design.
    Depends on the intended result. NWO was presumably originally designed for a relatively "normal" MMORPG experience, but seems to end up having "easter egg" skills as the meta.

Having only one group of people getting these game-breaking easter eggs is a pretty unsustainable situation (unless it's literally "only the first ever cohort of players gets this stuff" but then that might not be good for other reasons). That said, if you as a designer want people to seek out a huge variety of stupidly exploitable skills hidden beneath lots of features of easter-egg-level obscurity, then that's certainly a possible design. I have no idea how much money it'd make you though.

Also such design would probably be really expensive since you'd have to design unique areas/interactions/objects/etc. for a huge variety of things, rather than being able to just copy over code.

That said I wonder whether one could task some future AI to create some of these things and thereby automate the generation of new content...

It turns out BOFURI's OP is by Sasaki Rico, who is not a group.
    MAL and Wikipedia says you have those reversed, which is consistent with me remembering that the OP involves multiple voices singing in unison.
  • edited 2020-07-08 04:45:17
    GMH, just in general, I think your posts (like this one) would surely benefit from brevity. Maybe editing out after you've written stuff.
    Rather, it's that the game seems to actually deliver a sense of wonder and exploration to players, through the discovery of strange secrets everywhere.

[...]a UI that's free of information overload but is instead pretty immersive.

We've gone into detail discussing just how these aren't aspects that work in MMOs. I mean, you've seen people play and obsess over Starcraft and Warcraft, right? Part of that is in the detail.

Essentially, it's not excessive information if and when you need it.
    but clearly there is a huge abundance of "hidden" features, which the main cast -- particularly Maple -- runs into rather frequently.

Okay, so here we run into that issue I mentioned; why should the production team waste money by sending devs to make complex, pointless things nobody but 10 or so players out of 2,000 will use, when those same 10 players will do the thing the 2,000 do if they aren't given any other options?
    The few times I've played MMOs

So if this is just something you're punting with: cool? If you are looking to one day actually find an MMO like this; tough luck, since you're currently not and will probably never be the target audience for one.

Plus, I don't think traditional MMOs are growing anyways. I think right now the non-smartphone based multiplayer games that are growing are FPSes and Fortnite (I don't know if PUBG isn't an FPS but I assume it is).
    I'm not just talking about the main cast -- look at how easily the top several players run into each other.

Yeah, that's also very typically anime?
    The unfortunate thing about 100%ing games is that by the time one can 100% a game it has already gone beyond the "wonder" stage and is firmly in the "accomplishment" stage.

I did it because I love those games and wanted to express my respect for all their components, it wasn't unfortunate at all since it allowed me to play more of them.
    MAL and Wikipedia says you have those reversed, which is consistent with me remembering that the OP involves multiple voices singing in unison.

Ah, seems that way.
    Yeah sorry that was a stupidly long post. I think it took me several hours to write it because I kept getting interrupted by like a million things.

I don't know much about Warcraft, but Starcraft (as an RTS) is something I've played before and actually it has less information clutter than what I've seen from MMORPGs with their tons of labels on like everything.

I mean there are things you can do with design decisions to slow down information spam. For example, people might want to advertise their crafting or whatever services but you could make it so that they have to advertise on a bulletin board as opposed to server/zone chat. Would also feel more intuitive, IMO.
    Okay, so here we run into that issue I mentioned; why should the production team waste money by sending devs to make complex, pointless things nobody but 10 or so players out of 2,000 will use, when those same 10 players will do the thing the 2,000 do if they aren't given any other options?
    Yeah this is the main issue with hard-to-find easter eggs so I'm honestly not surprised they don't show up often. Though it probably wouldn't be too hard for someone to design something on their own then not have it balance-tested, which could plausibly explain why this stuff exists in NWO.
    If you are looking to one day actually find an MMO like this; tough luck, since you're currently not and will probably never be the target audience for one.
    I don't actually expect any actual MMO to be like NWO in at least two of these regards -- the crapton of secrets and the socializing opportunities. Particularly the latter, since the MMO would have to be simultaneously small enough that it'd feel like a small community, but also big enough to be commercially successful. (I know that that sort of social situation is also "very typically anime", but I'm discussing what it might take in real life to have that happen.)
    (I don't know if PUBG isn't an FPS but I assume it is).
    Probably be simpler just to say battle royale games, since that encompasses both PUBG and Fortnite, I think.
    I did it because I love those games and wanted to express my respect for all their components, it wasn't unfortunate at all since it allowed me to play more of them.
    I'm not saying that 100%ing games is a bad thing; I'm just saying that games that I can 100% are already games that have moved beyond the initial stage of finding new and wondrous things, in most cases.
    I'm not saying that 100%ing games is a bad thing; I'm just saying that games that I can 100% are already games that have moved beyond the initial stage of finding new and wondrous things, in most cases.

Ah, okay then.
    Probably be simpler just to say battle royale games

Good point.
    Today was a big day in seiyuu marriage;

Seiyuu Kana Hanazawa and Kensho Ono Announce Marriage

AND AND AND

Voice Actress and Singer Nana Mizuki Announces Marriage

Congrats to everybody~
    I am pretty sure Nana Mizuki specifically picked yesterday to announce it actually. Because puns.

That said for some reason I thought she was already married since she had changed her surname.
  • I don't know to which extent this is relevant to the anime thing you guys are talking about, but I guess it's better off here than in my mind. There's that thing where making exploration (of the game world anyways) rewarding in gameplay terms is not terribly important as long as discoveries are knowledged, so for example if some cliff looks interesting enough that a player may want to explore there (and the game world should have interesting places anyways), simply putting something like an unusual rock formation, traces of a previous explorer, some funnily named NPC or simply a treasure chest with some sub-par item is often enough for that player to feel like they've achieved something, those implicit "you found me" are an easy way to add appeal to exploration and, at least in the ones I've played, it shows that it's been thought of a lot by the designers.
    I can definitely see that.
    That said for some reason I thought she was already married since she had changed her surname.

I think that's for privacy reasons. A lot of Japanese celebrities that err on the side of the traditional use stage names, like Aoi Shouta. Some will use the same name, but in hiragana rather than the actual kanji.

Everybody important (and 2ch) knows what KOTOKO's real name is, but she has some sort of legal order that prevents it from being printed/emphasized.
    Songs Suzuki Konomi is doing this cour:

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season OP1: Realize
    DECA-DENCE OP: Theater of Life
    Koi to Producer: EVOL x LOVE ED: Maiorite Kita Yuki (as Koi to Producer featuring Suzuki Konomi).

Busy girl.
    Actually watched one full episode of Machine Doll last night. Aside from being thoroughly annoyed at Yaya, I also found out that I could fulfill my desire to see a Black Scottish Charizard within just one episode. As such, the series stays dropped.
    https://mfbunkoj.jp/special/isekai-shurai/

For some reason I can't seem to find this on MAL or Anime-Planet. I wonder if I'm looking for the wrong name...
  • Why is there an "interview" section with Ryujin Mabuyer and Astro Fighter Sunred?
    The heroine looks like Eilietta Nash from Zenonzard.

I am concerned that there are recommendation quotes from V-Tubers. Not even Vocaloids ever got this sort of clout.
    For some reason I can't seem to find this on MAL or Anime-Planet.

There are only two or so volumes out, so it's probably just not on people's radars yet.
    Yona is amazing.
    Akatsuki no?