If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Remember when I was wondering who the heck would be interested in the weirdness that is Be@rbrick?

We have a neighbor who is.
  • Speaking of neighbors, I tried a wi-fi adapter on my computer and one of the connections was named "I trade wi-fi for sex".
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I apologize in advance; I don't think that's how you use OnlyFans.

The really creepy big ones or the normal mini ones?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^^ One time, walking down the street, I checked if my phone catches any wi-fi signals and one I got was named "NSA Surveillance Van".

Also, have you heard of 5G conspiracy theory? It's like, there's some sort of new standard of wireless communication or something, and it's called 5G, and some folks came up with the idea that it's harmful to human health. The conspiracy theory proper ranges from "it's harmful and they don't tell us" through "it's the real cause of corona" to "the illuminati want to kill us all". So, getting back to the topic at hand: since then, folks have taken to name their wi-fi along the lines of "5G TEST 200% POWER" just to troll these people.
    I apologize in advance; I don't think that's how you use OnlyFans.

The really creepy big ones or the normal mini ones?

Uh, I think these are about a foot tall?
    Oh so the former.
    have you heard of 5G conspiracy theory? It's like, there's some sort of new standard of wireless communication or something, and it's called 5G, and some folks came up with the idea that it's harmful to human health.

Yeah I heard about it pre-CV19 and post-Cv20 but I had not heard the Illuminati ver. That one seems particularly lazy.

I lost a significant amount of CDJ points in May because I wasn't paying attention to how the expiry calendar works. I actually even got an e-mail about it but I glazed over it with scant attention.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Yeah I heard about it pre-CV19 and post-Cv20 but I had not heard the Illuminati ver. That one seems particularly lazy.

Yeah, honestly speaking "it's the NWO/illuminati/whatever" goes along well with pretty much any conspiracy theory you can think of. (I can't seem to come up with a good comparison. "Like ketchup"? "Guile theme of conspiracy theories", perhaps?)
    It's the Generic Store Brand of conspiracy theories.

Me: Oh my gosh why did I write so many words.
    GMH earlier: I'm unna write a novel 'bout my anime dream and speedrunning.
  • edited 2020-06-21 02:36:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IMBM (it might bug me): words losing their punch from overuse

e.g. "stan" is supposed to mean "superfan" but nowadays just means "fan"

actually

IJBM: the word "stan" being used to mean either of those ideas in the first place
  • edited 2020-06-21 12:45:05
    English society has decided that there aren't enough amplifiers in the language, so "inherently" will stop meaning "inseparably so by its own nature" and start meaning "very".
    See also: "by definition".
    I've always thought of the Illuminati NWO conspiracy glue as part of the thing where conspiracy theorists mix and match several seemingly unrelated conspiracy theories, after a while there'll be some sort of conspiracy canon that you can add anything to.
    after a while there'll be some sort of conspiracy canon that you can add anything to.

It seems it kind of already is, if the few articles along these lines I read are to be believed. I have forgotten most details, but the premise was that conspiracy theorism (in USA at least) has become a sort of a subculture. The common, so to say, plotlines are more-or-less stable and can be fitted to concepts such as "NWO" or "aliens" or even literally Satan. While I'm at it, I put that in reverse order, it started with anti-Catholic prejudices and Satanic fears and then moved on with the times.
    Man I miss when the biggest thing to happen was that Barbie doll had a pentagram necklace (turned the right way up even) and everybody blew their minds about it being a Satanic symbol.

I wasn't born yet but that's not the point.

I'm kind of sad I missed the whole 'repressed memories' hysteria (which was also blamed on Satanists, poor Satanists) but I could always try to watch movies from that era that feature it. I think most of them are even Lifetime movies so it's win-win.
    has become a sort of a subculture.

I think it ebbs and flows? Like there was a time when "Crisis Actors" and the hyperformatted Q were The Things, but even before recent events there wasn't really much to do.
  • edited 2020-06-22 04:11:19
    I'm old enough to remember the 90s Pokémon craze and backlash, which included a bit of stuff about how it's satanic.
    Also that was the reason there were no demons in MtG for like a whole decade (even after the hysteria had died down). On the plus side we got the horror creature type: https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=t:Horror (Edit: 7 years. More info: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/where-have-all-demons-gone-2004-07-05 )
    Anyhows, I got a haircut for the first time in over a year. There isn't a good reason why I had it grow long in the first place, at first I just didn't think it was long enough to get it cut, then I wondered how I'd look with long hair, then I wanted to get a long hairstyle but didn't find any that I liked, then "challenged" myself to let it grow longer, and finally I had it cut.
    I'm reposting it here, since the last time I posted it in Images by mistake.
    https://scoollab.web.cern.ch/diy-particle-detector

This link's been open in a tab in my browser for who-knows-how long without any benefit to anything coming out of it, so I figured I'll at least post it here in case any of you guys finds it worthwhile. Anybody fancies a homemade particle detector?
    Ah, yeah, I'd guessed.

It occurs to me that this whole toy blog idea has moved well out of trial phase and I'm actually getting the hang of it.

I'm not sure what to do with that information. I mean, theoretically I should go ahead and start a blog, but that sounds intimidating suddenly.

I kind of like just posting about stuff here, as if I'm doing it as a personal challenge.
  • edited 2020-06-24 06:15:53
    That reminds me I haven't posted today the day that ended a bit ago.
    Speaking of DIY stuff, I kinda want to make an air conditioner, it's always bugged me that air conditioners are these mostly self-contained things and while there are good reasons for that, I kinda wish they were easier to pick apart. Of course, actually making one would end up costing more than a brand new one. Maybe if it's super small...
    Edit: oh yeah, this came about as there's this air conditioner whose condenser's fan's motor is squeaking and removing it requires removing the condenser too, maybe, maybe I should've made sure before putting it back in its not-easily-handled position.
    Edit edit: the DIY internet and I have very different ideas of what an air conditioner is. I was thinking about a refrigeration cycle based one specifically.
    I wish I knew how to work with electronics and computer graphics like you do Stormtroper.
  • edited 2020-06-24 11:05:06
    Ahhh, I'm flattered. I don't really know how to work with electronics, tho, I've been meaning to learn how to but haven't gotten around to it. I learned a bit of theory at uni but that's about it.
    (Edit: it just ocurred to me that you may have meant this in reference to air conditioners, which in true mechanical engineering fashion didn't register in my mind as electronic devices. Still, I'm not that knowledgeable either on the practical side of things either.)
    As for computer graphics, I guess I do know how, but I still have much to learn, lots of people can do what I do but better and faster.
    As usual, the 'net is full of material to learn 3D modeling (you're talking about 3D modeling, right?) and lots of its software are free, if you have the time and effort to spare you can set out to learn, too.
    I wish I had half your competency in 3D modeling, though I just wish I had some decent photography stuff and Photoshop skills so I could make my own book covers.

This week I need to learn how to build my own tower PC and how to build a projector. So far for stories I've only really learned how to operate a small-scale manual production switcher.

I was also going to learn how exactly holograms are made but I'll just sci-fi bluff it instead.
  • Oh, I insist, 3D modeling is not as hard as it may seem, you or anybody else can pick it up in no time.
    Regardless, if you need someone to make those book covers, I believe I can do that.
    I haven't built a desktop PC from the ground up yet, only inserting and removing parts, and building them outside a case.
    I think I want to take a crack at the Girl_2 cover myself first. I have this really specific idea that could go either way.

I've learned the fundamentals of building computers, and I think for this story that's probably a much as is necessary, but I think I'll probably learn more later on for fun. It's kind of scary how apparently if you accidentally touch something whilst not grounded you can just like, completely ruin it (and get a static shock boo-boo too!).

It occurred to me that the 'collective conciousness' thing I've been pushing in Hackers x Heroes is not just a concept ripped off from Rinne no Lagrange, but is actually based in deep Jungian theory stuff I heard like 3 years ago from a random hour-long YouTube video.

I'm wondering if I should do more research into that or just leave it as a malleable concept...
  • It's kind of scary how apparently if you accidentally touch something whilst not grounded you can just like, completely ruin it (and get a static shock boo-boo too!).
    It's even scarier that you can fry it with a discharge small enough to not be felt, it won't work and you'll never figure out what broke it.
    For some reason I am (was?) prone to static discharges, I already fried an SSD like that (fortunately it had no important data). I've taken the custom of touching a connected power supply very often when dealing with computers.
    Speaking of that, for some God-forsaken reason several power cords at work have had their ground prong removed, I guess the peanuts saved in adapters are worth the risk of electric shock (and probably the death of the SSD above).
    Hmmm... maybe I should now mention... the thing...
    Ah! This is actually a lot of useful information. Thanks a lot.
    the peanuts saved in adapters are worth the risk of electric shock

You'd be surprised at how often the enemy of safety is some guy in a green accounting visor going "$0.03x100,000 is $3,000! That could seriously change our bottom line!"

Uh... what thing?
  • Well... remember some time ago when I said my job is as a computer technician? Well, that's a half-truth, I've been kinda meaning to confess about what I left out.
    That's better left for a PM thread, though, whichever regular is interested in knowing more just say so.
  • edited 2020-06-26 06:30:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    [GlennMagusHarvey] i think at some point i adapted to the fact that Poe's Law exists on the internet by basically just virtually nodding in response to whatever i see on the internet and then considering related information and personal hypotheticals rather than either taking stuff as known truth or falsehood
    [GlennMagusHarvey] (that is a fancy way of saying "your list didn't seem to make sense but i declined to question it openly and just went on a tangent talking about my own opinions on the POTUS-D candidates")
    Minimal context as per usual, Guh-lenn.

POTUS-D sounds like an anime term.
    whichever regular is interested in knowing more just say so.

Right; sign me up.
    This is from a political chat room.

Someone posted a rather illogical list of preferences in the 2020 Democratic primary for President of the United States.

People started analyzing it and commenting how it didn't make sense.

First person returned to say that it was a joke.

I thought it was illogical but declined to comment on it.
    whichever regular is interested in knowing more just say so

eh, you can plug me up. I can imagine some future misunderstanding this will help avoid.
  • For some reason the "troper" part of my username is starting to bother me. If I had known we'd be doing the whole "we are not TV Tropes" thing I'd have chosen a different username, but by then I was used to it, until now that is. Hmmm, maybe it'll go away, and it'll make old threads weird if have it changed (if that's even still possible).

Anyhows, about DIY and money, just learned about "Mad" Mike Hughes, a guy who made (and died in) his own manned rockets, and raised the money to do so from flat earthers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hughes_(daredevil)
    Hmmm, maybe it'll go away

I know TVT still exists, but when I read your username now it's kind of completely disconnected from there in any meaningful way.

But like, you could always change it anyways.
    raised the money to do so from flat earthers

Novel.

I remember when Logan Paul did a stint with Flat Earthers that ended in uh... I'm not sure, but it was funny because his brother Jake once had a throwaway line on his Disney Channel TV show about how his character's belief system relied on the Earth being flat.

Arh, I hate to be making this post twice in the span of like, 6/7 months, but let's go;

For the past few years, I've bought very few toys. This can probably be traced right back to when I stopped collecting Bakugan the first time 'round. I can remember basically everything I've gotten until mid-2019.

Then I kind of just went ballistic with LEGO Friends, and ran out of budget for that. That's basically the whole reason I don't have a Switch.

Now well... (man this hurts) I kind of just went ballistic with everything that wasn't LEGO Friends, and well...

Because of the whole C19 thing, a lot of JP singles/albums and such got cancelled, so I kept buying more toys since like I wanted to cover a lot of things in my thread/blog (a lot of which are old and therefore not uh... reasonably priced).

However, things are different now, July is full of new stuff, and I'm embarrassed to say I genuinely can't cover it all without digging myself in an even bigger hole. I also have a full wishlist on BookWalker that I just kept ignoring until it overflowed.

I need to uh, rethink what I want to do with everything.